Party Alignment Shenanigans

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Lava, Jul 4, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lava

Lava Established Member

Opinions: is it "cheese" or abuse of the system to put a lawful neutral cleric of Heironius in a lawful evil group and go do the assassination in Hommlet? Is it actually Greyhawk-accurate that Heironius allows non-good clerics who might adventure with a lawful evil group? (I don't have any Greyhawk books, but I was under the understanding from 1st edition days that Heironius was the paladin-paragon basically.) I'd flinch, personally, if I were the DM. ;)

2. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Well, sometimes to protect the Law one has to do the less obvious thing... like travelling with a bunch of evil coppers.

3. Ank

Ank Established Member

Sometimes in order to slay the greater evil one must side with the lesser evil; good aligned parties tend to be way to ponderous and rule abiding to actually engage a conflict/faction in time to stop the slaughter of countless innocent people... so it stands to reason to find a 'good' cleric in 'bad company' for as long as such association coincides with the clerics agenda(but then again what im describing is pretty much a chaotic good cleric).
    Also one can consider to chose to see a once good cleric slowly turning evil/mad after seeing how the good guys lack of timely actions becomes equivalent to signing a death sentence for all unfortunate enough to stand in evil's way(u may expect smth like that from a cleric whose village was razed to the ground while expecting help that never came/came to late and as a result said cleric now willingly joins a strong enough crew of outlaws determined to make it big (and coincidentally that involves squashing both the great evil responsible for the village destruction as well as slaying in the near future those who failed to help save the vilage. - then again what i'm describing sounds to be more of a saint cuthberth(god of retribution) follower identity crisis.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  4. Lava

Lava Established Member

Well, lawful evil parties are specifically in service of Hextor in the origin mission, which is why it's particularly amusing that the lawful evil party still allows for clerics of Heironius, who are enemies of Hextor. I'm not seriously complaining, I mean I'm already trying to put lamias in my group. ;)

5. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Alignment cheese is sometimes good - produce a LN Cleric of Wee Jas with 18 cha improved turning, extra-turning and craft wondrous item (circlet of persuasion) and you too can have a 3rd level LG party including a paladin and ALL the Moathouse zombies!

6. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

LMAO! I never thought of that. Great idea there.

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Meh, except that rebuked creatures' AI is pretty bad.

I do have to say that rebuked large/giant Earth elementals make decent meat (stone?) shields.

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Now this is just plain wrong!

You shouldn't be running around corrupting these good people's gaming intentions with your evil schemes ..... :p

Man I just have to try that.

Our Host!