dominated group

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Lava, Jul 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lava

Lava Established Member

So from reading here it looks like it's possible to make "genuine" group members through dominate person and dominate animal.
    is there a spell for non-person/non-animals that does the same thing? I don't recall seeing a dominate-monster. :p
    I'm wondering if it's possible to make, say, an all bugbear group, and kick out all the original members. ;)
    Apparently suggestion doesn't do the trick (anymore, at least.)

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Unless something changed recently, I don't think Co8 ever implemented the spell. Of course, you could always check Bazaar of the Bizarre in Verbobonc to see if it's there (lvl9 spell).

There IS, unless I'm wrong, a "Dominate Animal" spell, if you want some furry friends.

3. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Last time I looked Dominate Monster was available at the Verbobonc magic store - I always make a point of rushing over to buy it as soon as possible because it is a partially level-adjusted version of the original suggestion spell.

4. Runiel

Runiel Member

A pre-Verbobonc possibility is getting it from Burne, Dominate Monster is one of the scrolls in his inventory. However, if I recall correctly, it is a 9th level spell, so it will take a while to have it readily available for multiple castings.

5. Lava

Lava Established Member

Wow, getting a look at them, those greater bugbears are fantastically bad-ass. I'm amazed that I'm beating them at all. :p
    It's pretty easy to find a creature that could fill a fighter-type role as a dominated group member. I'm trying to think of what might make a good dominated "person or animal" cleric, wizard, or sorcerer (while not being one of the regular player races.) Humanoids are probably all pretty lacking in the non-physical stats.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Nah, only the leaders with 100+hp :D Also, don't forget Hill Giants, who, unlike the shape-shifted druid version, are amazing.

Did you try Salamanders? I'm not really sure if their "casting" stats are any good or their SLAs are just naturally badass. Dragons and beholders also come to mind. Other than that, I don't think there are all that many "casting" creatures.

7. Pygmy

With quite a lot of persistence I managed to dominate a greater salamander but I couldn't walk it out of the temple without the game crashing....

8. Lava

Lava Established Member

I figured the Lamia would be intelligent, and it looks like it's true (although "she" doesn't have a god... er... I suppose she could convert*cough*cheat code.)
    Burne's dominate monster scroll did the trick ("mugged" him for it, heh, playing an evil group.) So the lamia was dominated (and immediately ready to level up?!)

From what I've read by searching the forums, you then have to kill the dominated monster, and resurrect it.
    But the moment you wound the dominated creature, it turns into back into a "regular" monster and leaves the group again, becoming hostile... so it doesn't look like that will work. Have things changed or am I missing a step?

9. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Ready to lvl up because most monsters don't have character levels, so the game is allowing you to give it "level 1".

10. Pygmy

Yes Lava you need to get the Lamia killed by enemies. I seem to remember that dominate person works differently - It's the only way I managed to bring the Verbobonc fugitives back more or less alive.

11. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

12. Lava

Lava Established Member

Hellblazer: Ahh, the "good old days." You don't see art like that in snazzy productions anymore. I miss it. ;)

13. Lava

Lava Established Member

Weird, the instant the dominated creature was attacked by a monster, it reverted to its normal hostile state. Maybe "dominate monster" doesn't really work that way. Ah well.
    Edit: Also, I thought I'd point out that every few seconds, the dominated Lamia rolls another mystery will save, over and over, whether failing or succeeding. That seems... odd, since the saves don't seem to be connected to anything, or having any effect.

Maybe I should look for another species for my "monster cleric." Ogre shamans? ;)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  14. Mouldyrye

Mouldyrye Member

@Hellblazer: I'm going to have to go digging now. I think my youthful perversions caused me to draw nipples on that picture. Part of the charm of a 30 year old MM1 with countless dings and penciled in editing. The giant rat had it's profile chopped into two sections and each had a picture. One with the rat running into a hole and the other was it coming out the other side.

15. Lava

Lava Established Member

This forum needs a "like button." I love the art in the old 1st edition books. ;)

Our Host!