Project Jerkstop: The Final Solution

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Mar 14, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

This sounds like my experience from 7.1. Jerkstop was a mild inconvenience up until WotGS. I headed down to the grove first and that was almost unplayable.

I did read that missle weapons are a known problem in that area with JS.

I know all these things are seemingly related, but at the same time WotGS seems like a special case.

It would be be interesting to initiate (via console?) WotGS early in the game to see if some of these problems still occur.

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Curiouser and curiouser... I slogged my way through with melee weapons at the grove, then entered in to see if that would clear it. Lo and behold, I was able to fight the south road guards normally. Going north looking for the southern patrol, I noticed them moving normally, then slowly grinding to a halt with jerkstop. When I moved my party north a few steps, the patrol was able to advance normally for a few more themselves before grinding to a halt. When the patrol started meeting units around the Welcome Wench (i.e. where they appeared, before the patrol gets there, there is nothing), my party started experiencing jerkstop itself. I retreated, entered the farmhouse at the corner, and seemingly cleared the jerkstop. I was able to move west normally, and initiate combat with the west road force, but when I tried to fire an arrow, it froze the game. I can't explain it, but I hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  3. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

Yes, that sounds extremely familiar. I seem to remember having very similar problems after making it to the Welcome Wench.

Is there are way to trigger WotGS earlier in the game? It would be interesting to know if JS happens earlier in the game during the same parts of WotGS.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah, just input the following in the console for an early stage game:

Code:
    game.story_state = 6
    game.global_vars[973] = 2
    Then go see Bro Smyth. He'll think you just got done visiting Verbobonc and will tell you about WotGS.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Reporting Jerkstop in Homlett during the WoTGS.

Everything works fine at the following locations;
    Defense Building
    Druid's Grove
    South Exit
    South West Exit

The game freezes up, first it goes to short hops when traveling then no response once battle starts at the Welcome Wench.

What I mean exactly is, when walking out of combat the distance you can go when clicking gets shorter the closer you get to the Welcome Wench.

You can click as far away as your pc can see, but you'll only move one step and the movement circles disappear.

This happens when approaching the Welcome Wench from the road directly below it and when coming up the path from the Druid's Grove.

6. Gaear

Thanks for the feedback, sirchet.

Q: did you experience jerkstop with WotGS before, and if so, was it different or the same?

Q: did you experience jerkstop before, pre-WotGS? IIRC you had none this time.

7. sirchet

I had no jerkstop before the WoTGS in this version.

I had no jerkstop at all even in the WoTGS in the last version.

8. Gaear

What level were you when you took on WotGS?

9. sirchet

My fighter, rogue and bard were 17, my wizard and cleric were 16.

10. Gaear

Thinking out loud ...

Based on sirchet's experiences (and I realize we can't make a determination based on those alone), it appears that pre-WotGS jerkstop (what was basically traditional jerkstop until WotGS came along) may be gone along with all the pre-WotGS script-firing mobs that used to run around Hommlet exterior. If that's so, it means that we can fix WotGS jerkstop as well ... by removing it. :p

11. sirchet

Do you mean remove WotGS?

That surely would be a shame. :(

EDIT: I have a thought, what if instead of so many attackers we had fewer but of higher level and better equipped?

Just a thought mind you. ;)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  12. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I think it's just the Welcome Wench group that's causing the problems. Maybe beef up one or more of the other encounters and delete that bunch?

13. Gaear

No, I don't really mean just flat out get rid of WotGS, lol. But if it proves true that removing it from that map would cure jerkstop, we would have little choice but to seek alternatives, being as jerkstop is basically intolerable. Maybe move it to Verbobonc or something like that, or sequence it differently in Hommlet.

14. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Jerkstop seems to be some sort of cumulative damage.

Does it appear instantly when you trigger WGS? If so, is it bad enough to prevent play? Won't it go away when you finish WGS?

15. sirchet

Well, my game played normally including the battles at the defense building and the druid's grove along with the town exits near bye. I even used a considerable amount of projectile weapons.

The "jerkstop" came on all at once and it seemed to be as soon as I got halfway from the druid's grove to the smyth's shop.

Our Host!