Right Clicking Silver coin loot

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Mouldyrye, Jun 18, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Mouldyrye

Mouldyrye Member

I've noticed several times that when I loot an enemy and the only coins they have are silver, if I right click the silver to loot it there is a pile of gold that takes it's spot. It's not a lot of gold and it's not converting the silver to an equivalent amount of gold. It doesn't happen if there are 2 different piles of coins and I haven't seen small piles of copper do the same thing.

Is this a glitch that is known but working correctly so you get the "hidden" gold when taking all. (A google search with silver and gold and ToEE is pointless.) Or, is this sort of an exploit of uncorrected code from a previous incarnation of the game in which gold was easier to get?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I suspect you're just looting silver that is on top of gold.

3. Mouldyrye

Mouldyrye Member

It's occurring on the loot screen immediately after combat. After paying attention now I've seen a pile of silver in the top left item slot on the loot screen and when I right click to loot it a pile of gold replaces it in the slot and sometimes that is followed by platinum. It's a glitch of the loot screen as far as I can tell. My only question really is if I simply click "take all" does it grab all the right amount of money?

I've also noticed that sometimes I can scroll really far down the loot screen and find extra items. Not sure if they are just duplicates of the items at the top or if it is repopulating the loot at the top into the visible slots on the fly or what. I don't have time to pick up a million pairs of boots to see what is going on yet.

4. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

That guard you just looted (or what have you, i am just providing an example) was carrying say 3 plat, 8 18 gold, 4 silver and 22 copper. he also had a worthless helm, boots, a dagger, hammer and rusty longsword, wooden shield and studded leather armor. the boots show up 3 times when you scroll down, and some of the other items jump around in the scrolling treasure chest window if you continue to examine the loot window ... instead of grabbing items or hitting the 'loot all'. this is just an illustrative example of what you were asking about. It's normal. Those stacks of coins are correct.

These are all known 'issues' with TOEE looting. Items can often appear 'stacked' upon one another, especially in the case of coinage. You are not getting duplicates in different currency, that fellow was just carrying 4 coin stacks and the game stacked them all on top of each other. the reason all the items jump around, or why it had an 'extra' pair of boots in the scrolling window is only something i have observed, and cannot explain WHY it happens. Maybe someone wiser on these forums has a better idea...?

I must caution - goofing around too much with the loot screen is not recommended. As any gamer that has spent any significant time playing TOEE can attest, there are certain quirks to the game engine itself that cause - issues - to eventually arise. I have had the 'use item' button pop free of its menu with too much time spent messing with the loot windows, moving items back and forth rapidly when selling, looting, etc. between the party inventory, extraplanar chest, and shopkeeper inventories after a long dungeon crawl where everyone was weighted down with tons of loot... After that happens, a CTD is likely right around the corner. To avoid, just move slowly and methodically and no issues should arise buying, selling and moving around your grand piles of loot...

When looting, just hit 'loot all' and be done with it, or just grab what you want individually. Not everyone has a need to collect rusted longswords, etc. :) It's most likely working as intended n the loot screen. There's definitely no issues with the coins.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I think I vaguely remember someone doing something with the gold in one of the older versions.

I believe we had a problem with merchants not recognizing you had enough gold when your coins were all plat and copper.

An example; You have 100 plat, 2 gold and 3 copper and want to buy a sword that costs 3 gold.
    The merchant would say you didn't have enough gold because he was only looking at your gold stack.

I think someone did something as to how the coins are stored, Gaear do you remember this.

Of course I reserve the right to simply be out of my mind ... mind you. :dizzy:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  6. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

IIRC everything is calculated now by how much copper you have.

So if you have 100 plat, 2 gold and 3 copper, you actually have 100203 Copper, the thing that costs 3 gold actually costs 300 copper, and so it all works out ok.

7. Mouldyrye

Mouldyrye Member

Thanks for the feedback. I figured something bad would happen if I started messing with the odd duplicate junk items. The real concern was that clicking "take all" would not recognize the subsequent hidden coin stacks and I would leave money behind. I've had to break my habit of not leaving a single piece of sell-able loot behind. I completely underestimated the value of carry weight when making my characters. My poor cleric can hardly wear metal armor and a shield. :( I had to make him some gauntlets of ogre power before I gave a pair to my warrior.

Our Host!