Beneficial bug with Spugnoir's familiar

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by nyarlathotep, Apr 18, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Sure they do, as those classes don't impose a minimum stat on you. I can tell you that a rogue 1/barbarian 8 cat familiar can diss out some serious damage with its 3 attacks.

2. VicOzzy

VicOzzy Member

Thanks for the tip Nyarlathotep!

Will try this right at once!!!

also, i would love to see your cat in action, any chance you could stream your gameplay (or add a video to youtube)?

3. kenth_ferel

kenth_ferel Member

So I guess the only part that confounds me is 2-fold. 1) is this available in vanilla version or just Co8 modpack(s). 2) when you say "unlink", that is achieved how?

Concept bears much experimentation...

4. nyarlathotep

@ Vic: I wouldn't have a clue how to record or stream a gameplay... I've never really been all into that sort of thing. I can try to take screenshot though it just won't be the same...

@ Kenth: I only use the Co8 modpacks. Vanilla was way to buggy to be an enjoyable experience. I honestly wouldn't know if you can perform this trick in vanilla.
    About the "unlinking":
    A spellcaster and his familiar are linked through the laws of magic. As longs as these 2 stay together, the familiar can only evolve because of the spellcasters progression. It gets more hitpoints, becomes more intelligent and... well, just read what it says in the d&d players handbook ( or here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#familiars )

As soon as you seperate the familiar from his caster - be that through death or any other means- while the familiar is walking around, the ToEE game engine does not comprehend that the familiar is not a true NPC. The engine's simple logic places a freeroaming familiar in an NPC slot, and once something gets placed there, it becomes a true NPC. (Well, unless it's one of those welkwood bog illusions, but I think there's a bit of scripting from our Co8 crue ;) )
    Anyhow, the fact is that the familiar stays in your party as an NPC, is due to ToEE's limited engine. A true DM would never allow such a situation, that's why I call it a bug.
    As soon as you enter a new map, the engine suddenly realises that you are walking around with an NPC which has no training at all. It can't live with that, so it just gives it a level, free of charge - this way the engine can live with the anomaly you just have created.
    So, "unlinking" just means getting rid of the caster that summoned the familiar.

5. EyesOfAsia

EyesOfAsia Member

The kitty and the owl in a party - the cutest party EVAR!
    I would love to see this 'bug' as a new feature in the next Co8 Modpack release.

=^.^=

6. kenth_ferel

kenth_ferel Member

@ nyarlathotep - my apologies, I didn't clarify. I thought unlinking was the means of getting the familiar out of the wizards inventory. I only ever see it there, never roaming free while the party is walking. That was what I haven't been able to achieve. Thank you though for the reminder from the d20 rules. I had forgotten that.

7. nyarlathotep

to set the familiar on to the ground, you have to activate the casters radial menu. In the inventory part you will see the name of your familiar. Click on it, and it is now freeroaming.

8. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Vanilla TOEE does not support familiars that exist out of the backpack. The ability to summon the familiar from the backpack, and all the dialog options between the magic user and the familiar were added by Co8 at some point.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

TOEE + Co8 = True gaming experience.

TOEE - Co8 = ________________________

You fill in the blanks.

10. nyarlathotep

I beg to to differ... You haven't seen the owl in bearform yet, now THAT is cute :p

[​IMG]

But eventhough they look adorable, don't let that deceive you. You're looking at a bunch of Butchers (yup, evil party, killed Terjon and such)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  11. birdman

birdman Member

just a quick question- how many animals can become PCs? Can you make a party with 1 fighter, 4 sorcerers, have the sorcerers call forth familiars of various sorts, remove the sorcerers and have a party of one fighter with 4 pets?

12. nyarlathotep

Technically, it should be possible, but somewhere halfway you'll have to save & exit, restart toeefex but be sure to then set the number of NPC's to 4 or more before you press "start playing". Those pets count as NPC's and do take up a spot.

I know, it's not a very pretty way to get to that number of pets, but as far as I know it's the only way.

13. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Could you not keep adding new wiz/soc via the inn logbook and repeat the process over and over until the party was full?

14. nyarlathotep

D'oh!... That I hadn't thought of such a way myself :dizzy: I must be getting old:p

15. Tathum

Tathum Member

As much fun as I've had with my familiar NPC's...

I've found that the mobs tend to go after them first, even running around all of my other party members to get a crack at them. Too many times has my Rogue Cat gotten slapped down by bugbears, she's about 10k XP behind the rest of the party now. The lack of armor makes things difficult for them at times.

Our Host!