Co8 New Content: War of the Golden Skull

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Well that didn't work. I also noticed that the explosions around the Tower and Church seem to have stopped after I defeated those attacks, but not the ones around the Grove. This is despite confirming I defeated that attack at the Town Elder's house.

2. birdman

birdman Member

i completed the WOTGS and was told of Fireforge but I have not run into him either at the Welcome Wench, outside it standing around or In Verb anywhere near the castle. Is he bugged?

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Not as far as I know. He should be on the second floor of the WW after Ariakas tells you about him after completing WotGS. He won't show up in Verbobonc until after you complete his quest and hire him to be your blacksmith, so don't bother looking for him there until then.

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I'm wondering - how do you trigger the Attacker quest? Gazra's guide says i gotta talk to some dude on the top floor of the inn (assuming he means Welcome Wench), but there's no guy there >__>.

5. Gaear

You can only opt to be an attacker on the fly by joining up with Wakefield outside the town elder's after they show up in town. You also have to be a hextorite.

You must be thinking of Fireforge on the second floor of the inn ... that's not til after WotGS.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, that's what Gazra's guide says (the inn part). Probably needs an update/correction.

7. jazzguitar13

jazzguitar13 Member

WestWars is a free-to-play Facebook-game that is situated in the Wild West. The social game is already playable in ten different languages.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

A bot that quotes another post?

9. Kelanen2002

Kelanen2002 Member

Just to say I still have MASSIVE jerkstop issues on 7.3, culminating in the party not being able to move at all, completely rooted to the spot. I've reloaded to earlier points, and it always occurs as I go through the fights. My machine is a quad processor, good graphic card, 8gb RAM, so it's not a system issue. Never had any jerkstop in the nodes etc.

Also I have chickens at the SW fight needing to be killed to finish that fight, and Ariakas telling me the NW and E road mobs are not defeated when everyone is most certainly dead (no one left out of combat etc).

Have had to kill TOEE crashes, and reload saves so often, and moving about Hommlet is just impossible. Using the World Map is okay apart from Druids (signpost is turned off) and roads, but I have everyone dead, but can't complete it - can I do this with changing the flags in the console?

Lastly, most loads, most mobs have been frozen, no animations, and no reaction to combat. They just sit there, no animation cycles, no actions from them, and no change when they die other than going naked - ie: they are dead and still standing in their grid formation.

I have to say, I'm considering returning to a pre-attack save, and just never talking to Ariakas, because currently it's not playable, at least on my version. Sad because I've been wanting some high end battles to use all the lvl7-9 spells on! The problem is that without this, and things following on, I've essentially finished the game I think.

Oh, is it intended to give out so much xp btw? My party of 6 goes from level 16-19, without breaking a sweat. Th battles aren't actually that challenging even when the opposition fights back (which is not most of the time).

I do love all the NC work that's gone into the mods, sorry to be whinging, it's just that either I have a non-typical experience, or it's really not ready to be in general release yet.

10. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I was able to avoid jerkstop in the WotGS by entering and exiting a building after each fight. I also avoided using my extra-dimensional chests outside, but I don't know if that contributed. I used to have jerkstop as bad as you described in earlier versions.

11. Gaear

Their CRs were actually reduced significantly in the last version. This is generally an issue with higher level content: by RAW, the XP payouts are massive and leveling happens frequently and easily, which allows for less high level content, and so on. We can reduce CRs and XP but then we are going un-RAW. Etc.

The problem is that we basically have no choice but for the playing public to be the test group, since so few people volunteer to test internally. And due the nature of jerkstop, you basically have to play an entire game to draw conclusions about it. This isn't conducive to normal testing. If we were releasing only flawless content, there would basically never be any.

There is hope though. I'm getting the general impression that non-WotGS jerkstop may have been significantly reduced or even eliminated as a result of the measures implemented in 7.3 (no one has complained about that in this release), and I have some radical new ideas about how to handle WotGS jerkstop that will be tried in the next release.

Are you sure? The road patrols actually move around. We've had people report this before who did find survivors after going back to look. That said, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the counter has gone awry as a result of your issues.

That's typical jerkstop when it's at its worst.

12. Kelanen2002

Kelanen2002 Member

I've not used any extradimensional chests - in fact I've not looted a single body. Not being sure if there was a timelimit issue for the mission, I just went round and did the fights, leaving looting for later. I guess it's possible that unlooted bodies make it worse? More to keep track of?

I thought you couldn't enter most buildings, so I've not tried that, but I have been back into the town defence several times (to get Ariakas to tell me what needs doing, when it patently doesn't) so I'd have thought that would cover it, but I could try going into some other buildings earlier before I'm frozen to the spot.

Incidentally, whilst frozen to the spot I can still world map around, just not move after, unless I world map to a non-Hommlet location, in which case I botch the mission, but can move normally. So it's definitely issues with the Hommlet maps I think.

Lastly, this is probably unrelated, but I thought I'd throw it out there - leaving lots of buildings in Verbobonc takes me back to Hommlet, not the Verbobonc map. Eg: I walk out the front door of the city hall, and appear on the east side of the town defence. If I leave via the dungeons/constabulary I don't. The door due south of the big V starting point similarly opens into Hommlet, and a few others do it. Lastly, if I walk (as opposed to signpost) from the V to the Spruce Goose then about 2/3 of the way TOEE crashes, every single time. I can walk elsewhere fine, and signpost about okay. *shrugs* I doubt any of the above is related, but I know stuff that's not to an untrained eye, might be to someone that knows how it's coded.

Incidentally, 7.3 was a clean install, with TOEE completely removed from the system prior. had it not been, I'd have blamed that for the doors leading wrong places... I've played from Lvl 1 to 14-15 (prior to Verbobonc) without any problems at all, including the nodes which seem to cause people problems. Lousy pathfinding in Hommlet, but nothing worse than that.

13. Kelanen2002

Kelanen2002 Member

Understood. I've only played one P&P campaign where we got to the 15-20 levels, and just not noticed it I guessed. Sticking to RAW is best IMO.

Fair point. Then I guess there's no better way than this then, and just posting detailed issues here!

I've not encountered it at all elsewhere. As I said, lousy pathfinding in Hommlet (and to a lesser extent other big open areas) but I assume that's completely unrelated. Movement generally works fine.

I've found all road patrols at their points of origin... If anything was supposed to be moving along the road they haven't, they've just been waiting in formation at the edge of the map (other than one that appeared once when I went back to the Wench post battle), and Horrid Wilting lets me easily find any hiding outriders, etc and make sure they are all killed.

Unless there are multiple patrols from the origins, with one staying there, and one moving along the road, then yes I'm sure. I've not checked the roads in between though, because non-fast movement is basically impossible after the first or second battle.

*sad panda*

Not sure if this is relevant (since I didn't know they were both signs of jerkstop) but in case: I come out of the Town Defense initially, and that combat works fine. From that point on, mobs are all frozen, but movement works for another battle or two. So I get the frozen mob problem before I get the party not moving properly, and long before movement becomes terrible.

Is there anything I can do? Is it a corruption in a save kind of problem - if I go back to a save before it starts, and go through it again, might it not occur? Or is it essentially a problem that I'm stuck with on my build/game/save/party and I need to abandon this until 7.4?

I have a dreaded feeling that I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway - when 7.4 or 7.5 come along can I use existing saves, and they just become obsolete next major version (ie: 8.0) or is it back to the start every release?

If it's the back to the start every release then I really feel your pain in testing. I guess using the console to gain 15 levels, 100,000pp, and set a bunch of flags would be the way to go?

14. Kelanen2002

Kelanen2002 Member

Oh one other issue that's been cropping up in War of the Skull, I don't know if it's jerkstop related or not...

Both of my arcane spellcasters (and ONLY them), #1 and #5 in a 6 man party keep getting the problem with not handing over to the next person at the end of their action. the only time I've seen this is in the Fire Node with Fragrarch vs Fire Shield. #1 DOES have Fragrarch, but is not in melee, #5 has nothing vaguely similar, and I'm pretty certain no-one has FireShield up anyway.

It's not the end of the world because (unlike in the Fire Node, where I had to unequip Fragrarch) the 'try to take a potion' fix works every time. But it's happening a lot, but just to those two characters.

15. Gaear

I guess anything's possible. You could go back to an old save and try Daryk's solution. But jerkstop seems to affect everybody differently, and it's not necessarily related to your system specs.

You can't use saves between modpack versions, although you can generally use saves with patches. (e.g. 7.3.3 patch will work with 7.3.x saves.)

Actually no, because the affects of jerkstop appear to be cumulative for some users, so we won't really know if it's gone entirely if you console your way through a game.

Our Host!