Sneak attacks with Composite Bow

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Tathum, Apr 25, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Tathum

Tathum Member

Have a Rogue, was trying to sneak attack with a bow, which I thought I could do, but I only seemed to get a damage bonus when I caught someone flatfooted and never after.

Made sure to flank, no avail. What am I doing wrong?

2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

You can't flank with a missile weapon (i.e. a bow, crossbow, or sling). You can only flank with melee weapons or natural (unarmed) attacks. During combat, hold down the Alt key to see the areas that all of your opponents threaten (if you hold your mouse pointer over one of your characters, then you can see the area that your character threatens).

The only way that a rogue can sneak attack with a missile weapon is to target an opponent that would be denied its Dexterity bonus to its AC (whether or not it actually has a Dexterity bonus). Examples of when an opponent would be denied its Dexterity bonus to its AC are when:

1. your opponent is flatfooted (at the start of combat).

2. your archer rogue is concealed (i.e. hidden) or invisible (cast Greater Invisibility on your archer rogue to enable him/her be able to make unlimited sneak attacks (well, at least until the spell expires a few minutes later).

3. your opponent is blind (cast the spell Glitterdust or Blindness to blind opponents).

Don't forget that your archer rogue can only sneak attack an opponent that is within 30 feet of your archer rogue.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

This is where your summoner, whatever class, comes in handy for your missile weapon rogue. You can wait until after your summoner calls in support behind the enemy lines to attack by dragging the rogue's picture at the top of the screen down the line to the right.

4. Tathum

Tathum Member

That wouldn't work with a missile rogue, apparently. I figured you could flank just like with daggers and short swords to get that sneak attack in.

Kind of useless if all you get is one sneak attack an encounter and then just become a normal archer.

Remade the party, started from scratch, gave her two short swords instead.

5. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Why not use furnok's invisibility ring after he meets his "fatal accident"? Go invisible, sneak attack, lather-rinse-repeat. It seems to work with my rogue/archer.

6. NoxNoctum

NoxNoctum Member

Wait so I can get the ring if I get Furnok killed? Nice :D.

7. sonofliberty

The ring, a +1 dagger and some potions as well as some cash/gems. He usually has his "accident" shortly after Fruella's tragic demise.

What are the "spoiler" tags for this forum?

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

You can hide a spoiler with
    spoiling text [/spoooiler]

The second spoiler is misspelled on purpose or it would hide the text. ;)

9. sonofliberty

Ok, thanks.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

You are welcome.

11. Renly

Renly Member

The trick to use with bows is the same you would use with melee weapons. I had a Rogue11/Fighter1 as a leader of the party. Before every battle cast Greater Invisibility on him. In my case it lasts 12 rounds, gives +2 to hit and every attack is a sneak attack. Against enemies that are not immune to sneak attack my rogue was usually the highest damage dealer. With enlarge and holy scimitar he could easily great cleave through most enemies, and dispatch powerful enemies in one round.

Our Host!