Good Fantasy/Fiction Books

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WinstonShnozwick, Jan 20, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Cherie Priest more steam punk and modern noir but very good .
    Blood sucking fiends, You suck, and It's aDirty Job by Christopher Moore.
    everything by William Gibson.

2. maalri

maalri Immortal

The Wheel of Time series is an excellent read, and should be in any Fantasy book readers library. Jordan was an extremely gifted writer. Warning though, they are very long books and it is a long series.

I am only a bit more than half-way through the series. I actually took off from the series after book six for a while, but, after reading another couple of series in the meantime, I went back to it, not expecting to be pulled in as much. After the first few pages of book 7, I knew I would be finishing the whole series.

I hear that Sanderson is doing an excellent job finishing the last few books for the departed Jordan.

3. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I'm currently reading like 3 Terry Pratchett books at once, and I just started A Clash of Kings. Tyrion is currently my favorite character, I'm very interested in finding out Littlefinger's motives for betraying Eddard though.

4. kantha

kantha Member

Your suggestions are really good. I love the discworld series- its' humor is just awesome- unfortunately I just read two books of it: Mort and Soul music. It would take a lot of time to read all of them. At the moment I've started with Lord of the rings and I also think it's very good.
    When it comes to fantasy I can also recommend novels by Neil Gaiman!

5. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Joel Rosenburg's Guardians of the Flame series is one of my all-time favorites. Good books for those without the time for a Tolkien-esque 500 pager, too.

"The dream is always the same..." 30 years later, that line still sends a tingle up my spine.

6. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Also the Watch series by Sergei Vasilievich Lukyanenko.

7. Onida

Onida Member

hi,I am looking for good fantasy books,thank u for posting this. I like games ,such as Crystal Legacy,
    BattleSpace,
    Demarcia,
    Reborn Empire and
    Ninjawaz

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  8. Kelanen

Kelanen Sword Lord

Wow, lots of stuff I now need to read...

Want to give another thumbs up to Gourd the Rouge too. The First book "Saga of Old City" is a really, really good read if you like the greyhawk setting, imo.

Also, Feist's Riftwar saga is epic stuff. Very well written.

The Wheel of Time books: the first four books were great, and got me hooked on the series.

9. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

10. charleshudgen

charleshudgen Member

The Lord of the Rings is my favorite novel it feels like i'm in their world while reading each chapter of this book.

11. ColeenR

ColeenR Member

have you ever read the brothers Arkady and Boris Strugatsky? Their books are really alive and very specific.

12. DengarX

DengarX Member

I was at a comic con last weekend and over heard some folks talking about "Emotobooks"
    Any of you heard about them yet? I got really interested and did some research. Found their main site on Google. Apparently they have a viking fantasy that caught my eye. Gonna check it out tonight. Something you may be interested in also?

13. Obadiah

Obadiah Member

Well, most of the books that I remember are real old school. Someone mentioned the Dragonlance series by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss. All of them are excellent. Tolkein, of course. I must have read LOTR like 50 times. Actually I read the hobit and then the next two, but could never finish the last one. I'd get burned out, put it down and then a year later start over again. rinse & repeat. Finally finished the whole thing like the 5th time through. Someone already mentions RA Salvatore (Drittz Dour'den) were pretty good.

Ok, books not yet mentioned. The Earthsea trilogy by Ursula K. Leguine. One of the first fantasy series I ever read, and very, very good. Also, the Elfstones series by Terry Brooks (basically anything by Terry Brooks is good). The Eragon series were ok. (can't remember author). Not at home, and I can't recall the volumes of books on my shelf off the top of my head. I'll post again or edit this one later.

14. Kilraven

Kilraven Chaotic Good Lich

There is a series of three book sets written by fellow Texan Elizabeth Moon, which fit incredibly well with the D&D world view.

The deed of Paksennarrion (collects the first trilogy circa 1988)

The Legacy of Gird (collects the second two book set circa 1992)

Paladins Legacy trilology ( not yet collected, in series; Oath of fealty, Kings of the North and Echoes of Betrayal)

In my opinion the best way to read these are as follows.

Legacy of gird. Sets the stage (Hero ascends to St. Cuthbert type)

Deed of paksenarrion Tells the main story (Paladin, very cool)

Paladins Legacy Deals with the fallout of the paladins actions (far reaching developments, ripples in a pool)

A very , very good series Highst possible rcommendation

15. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

i've read the first two and recommend Elizabeth Moon highly. :thumbsup:

Our Host!