Wasteland & Shadowrun, do you remember?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sirchet, Apr 17, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you're like me you may still have fond memories of the long nights you spent with these favorites.

I miss them too, but the good news is they are being brought back by the original creators.

Well, when I say brought back what I mean is, the same idea, world and concept are being resurrected but to a new story with modern graphics.

I have to say that I'm very happy that they are staying true to the original ideas, ie; ... turn based, open sandbox world and in Wasteland's case team based gaming, meaning you build a team and that is what you control.

Check it out for yourself and give us some feedback. Wasteland 2 or Shadowrun Returns

I'm one of the financial backers of both, will you be one too and why.

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Re: Wasteland & Shsdowrun, do you remember?

I loved Wasteland, it was the game that basically sold me on CRPGs (...well, that and Bards Tale.)

I never played Shadowrun on the computer (was there a CRPG?,) but I did spend quite a few hours on the pen 'n' paper RPG.

I will have to check those links out, thanks Sirchet!

3. ioannis76

ioannis76 Established Member

4. sirchet

Re: Wasteland & Shsdowrun, do you remember?

Shadowrun got it's most recent audience from the saga genesis version.

Are you guys aware that this is the same guy that gave us Bard's Tale, Wasteland, Baldurs Gate ... he WAS Interplay!

5. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I've never played Wasteland, I think I was 2 when it came out but as a fan of Fallout and Baldur's Gate I'm stoked and I can't wait for W2 to come out. I even chipped in a few bucks on the Kickstarter project, I deemed it was worthy, hah. The 00's were a throwback to the 80's in pop culture, music and such, it seems the 2010's are bringing back the early nineties.

A UFO remake is in the works too. Hopefully it will turn out better than the JA2 one. Beamdog (ex-Bioware) are also making 'enhanced' versions Baldur's Gate:ToSW and BGII:ToB. It's mainly an excuse for releasing those for tablets but they also promised new content, so while I'm mildly interested in those particular games (as mods offer much more than they probably will), Wasteland 2 and UFO are definitely the new oldschool games one can look forward to.

Hopefully, more publishers/developers will recognize the trend and need for reintroducing more complex mechanics and plot instead of just tempting players with shiny graphics and twitch gameplay.

6. Leanna83

Leanna83 Member

I've never played these two, but still I heard a lot about them)) Hope they'll really be returned for all those guys who miss them and feel a kind of nostalgia;))

7. sirchet

Well, with Wasteland 2 at $2,933,000.00 and Shadowrun Returns at $1,400,000.00 put up solely by the community I'd say it a sure thing that we will see these come to life.

Wasteland 2 is now funded, meaning that the pledges have actually been received and given to the developer.

Shadowrun will be funded on the 29TH.

2013 WILL be a year for old style RPG's. :pinkkirby

Our Host!