War of the Golden Skull quest

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by FredSRichardson, Apr 15, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

Hello,

I've been talking to Wilfrick and can't seem to initiate the "War of the Golden Skull" quest.

I've killed Zuggtmoy and still have the skull. Wilfrick doesn't have any dialog options that go anywhere now.

Did I miss anything?

BTW, thanks again for the outstanding mod!

-Fred

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Wilfie doesn't give that out. Go see Bro Smyth.

3. FredSRichardson

Ah, okay, the very helpful document "Game Guide & Walkthrough For The Circle of Eight Modpack NC" points in a few other directions, but I should have tried the smith =P

**SPOILER ALERT** (please beware if you haven't played through this quest yet, spoilers ahead)

I'm running in to some more serious problems now that I've initiated the War of the Golden Skull. I wiped out the waves of attackers outside the Town Defense and then proceeded to the Grove. After wiping out the the small army assaulting Jaroo's place, I noticed that I had the "JERKSTOP" problem mentioned in the thread "The Circle of Eight Modpack Explained". Leaving Hommlet via the world map botches the quest, so instead I tried ducking in to Jaroo's house and out again. This seemed to work.

I then wiped out the small group at the Southern entry road to Hommlet, and proceeded north to the Inn. I again notice the "JERKSTOP" problem and duck in and out of a house to resolve it. When I reach the large group outside the Inn, they ignore me while yelling various battle cries. I initiate attack (via fireball) and here is where I run into problems. My rogue archer can't complete his turn. The game is stuck waiting for him. Nobody in my group is wielding any unusually powerful bastard swords (all my crews weapons are crafted). I've tried reloading before this particular battle but I keep running into this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Fred

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sadly there are no 'official' recommendations as far as this goes, though people may have some home remedies.

We're addressing the WotGS jerkstop issue now ... it will probably require some radical changes to fix.

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

One of the "home remedies" is to avoid using missile fire or spells when attacking jerkstopped opponents. That's what seems to hang up PC's. You'll also want to kill enemy spell casters and archers as quickly as possible to keep them from locking up the game. If you look closely, the arrow or initial spell effect will appear "frozen" next to the PC or NPC who tried to use it. Sometimes the game will eventually unfreeze after an NPC causes this problem, but I've never seen it recover from a PC.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  6. FredSRichardson

Oh wow, it didn't occur to me that it was the opponents who were jerk stopped, but that would explain why they don't initiate combat.

I noticed exactly what you said: my PC can't continue when it's a ranged attack - fire ball or archer. I'll experiment a bit ;)

-Fred

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

For the record, I can't take credit for figuring that out. It was the very helpful community here that helped me through it.

8. FredSRichardson

Hmm... well I'm not quite able to get anywhere beyond the second or third battle. The game engine is letting me down here =(

I have noticed a lot of "jerk stop" behavior in my game when walking around Hommlet. I wonder if there's something funky in my inventory that causes it.

-Fred

9. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I just botched the quest for the 5th time, but I did make it once. So, i'm 1 for 6. It's a tough quest for sure.

10. mazuk3

mazuk3 Member

I have a question, i have not seen the spoiler before, but, i killed Zuggtmoy a lot of times with different parties, but I always destroy the skull with Pishella and then I go to destroy zuggtmoy for banish her of the existential plane, but i never get this quest.
    To get this quest do I need to kill Zuggtmoy without destroying the skull?

Thank you Co8 Mages and Wizards team

11. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

No, The bad guys assume you still have the skull and refuse to believe otherwise so go ahead and destroy the skull.

Basically, destroying the skull leaves a Magical "imprint" on Hommlett.

12. mazuk3

mazuk3 Member

I destroyed the skull and went to bro Smyth but nothing happened, I repeated but without destroying it and same, or do I need to speak someone different or do any other quest to trigger it?

Edit: Or at least in what town and after what quest can I take this one?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
  13. OccasionallyGood

OccasionallyGood Member

The discussion in this thread is related to Co8 mod's New Content.
    If you activated New Content then you get that quest from Wilfrick in Verbobonc after completing first two Wilfrick's quests.

Our Host!