Are the moderators dead?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by taltamir, May 4, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

Ok, the site has been down for many monthes, NOTHING gets stickied no matter how appropriate it is for a sticky, there are no new "official" releases.
    Heck, the last thread to be sticked was started in JULY 2004.

I am thinking that whomever officially owns the site just disappeared.

If this is not the case, please tell me. If I don't get a response in a week, I will just assume that is the case, and will try to orginize future coordinated development myself. (maybe, if I find time :p).

Perhaps we need a new site if this one is really dead.

EDIT: Ideally I would like to have a moderator come into this thread and say "I am a moderator, we are alive". Or better yet, the site owner. you know, the person who pays the bills... or is it just set up where people can use donate bill payment (i have seen sites like this, where people pay the hosting bills directly as a type of donation, instead of giving money to the site owner) and its just been running on "autopilot" since.

Or maybe it was prepaid for a few years...

EDIT 2: wait a minte, isn't this site hosted by sorcerer's place? but do the site owners of sorcerer place take an active role in managing this site? I think they DON'T. I think they provide the hosting, and that the persons in charge and with the passwords and access to modify things have disappeard, and noone notified sorcerer's place, and its just been running as a headless chicken. Alive but with no brain!

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Looking over at the modding section, all I can say is, to echo Churchill, "some chicken".

3. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

I'm a moderator of the General Modification section, and I'm alive and kicking. However, I'm not a moderator here in this section, and I'm not really sure who is supposed to be a moderator here. I haven't seen one long long ago...

Back in the days when I came to this site Zhuge was an administrator, and the site was very much alive (there were no forum bugs that I experience today, there were moderators in all sections of the forum, etc.). I think Zhuge has long disappeared, though (at least I haven't seen him for a long long time).

I think Exitium is an administrator of the site right now (at least he has the signature of an admin, so I suppose he's the one) but I'm not sure how often he comes here...

As for the General Modification section, I'm aware that at least two moderators (me and Morpheus) come to the site frequently. I'm mostly responsible for the game modification tools, and unfortunately today there aren't very many available (stay tuned :)

- Agetian

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

There are a couple of active moderators (me included), the problem being that our moderating privileges only apply to the ToEE Modding/General Modification section. Which, by the way, is where all the modding stuff should be posted. The only site admin who has been active recently is Exitium, but he only pops in once in a blue moon. Exitium wanted Zhuge to be our new admin, but unfortunately the latter seems to have disappeared in that other dimension called Real Life.

The main site has always just been a frontend for the forum anyway. Personally, I don't miss it that much. If you had been around for the last couple of months, you would have noted that there are people who try to manage things and organise stuff.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  5. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Morph, Agetian,

As far as I'm concerned, you guys do a great job around here.

the 'Wolf

P.s., what is this 'real life' thing you speak of?

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Its that painful time while the PC boots up ;-)

I noticed Liv's mod went up in the Released Modifications & Tools thread pretty darn pronto - service here aint that bad at all.

7. Morpheus

By the way, I've updated the released modifications & tools post today. I added Agetian's tools, Liv's newest mod version (1.51) and some installation instructions.

Looky here:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Omg a MAP EDITOR??? Ur kidding... argh, if only i had the artistic capacity to use it!!!!

9. ldonyo

ldonyo Member

I realize the request I am about to make will mean a bit of work for someone, but here goes. Would it be too much trouble to put last updated dates next to the links to make it easier to find the newest tools and mods?

I ask because I have been thinking about getting started modding ToEE and I have downloaded some of the tools, but there are an awful lot of files linked in that list. I have no idea what I really need to get started, which are the latest tools (or even a set of recommended tools would be helpful) and which are the latest mods. I also have no idea if any of those files supercede other files in the list.

I'm only new to modding games, not programming. I'm not asking for a ToEE modding tutorial or any kind of hand holding. I just want to know what I really need to start tinkiering with things on my own. :-D

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  10. taltamir

ok, so we have a few LIMITED mods who havent spoken to anyone who is really in charge (ie, someone who can make new mods, or grant these mods power over a greater section of the site) in... well, forever.

So basically, it is as I suspected. So morpheus, Agetian... does either one of you know the contact address of the guys currently in charge.. we should get in touch with them and ask them to relinquish some power to you two since they arent excercising it.

I say one of you needs to pick up the mantle. And liv a mod(erator) too, with all the mod(ing the game) she does she might aswell be modding the forum.

11. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Agetian or Morpheus,
    How does one become a moderator? What kind of time requirements are there?

How does a person get a unique avatar? Is it even possable?

How well does it pay?(jk) ;)

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  12. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

I wish I knew Exitium's e-mail address... however, I don't know it. I would gladly administrate the forum, yet I don't know how much time I can put into it (if it's gonna be *enough*) since I'm mostly very busy with building modding tools right now.

Btw, someone asked about how you become a moderator... I don't know how you do it now, but I became a moderator back when Zhuge was here, and he gave me this title for considerable efforts in ToEE modding (I was the first person to discover a way to spawn objects via scripting...) I think that Exitium is the person who can answer this question today.

- Agetian

13. Morpheus

I will contact Exitium. And by the way, taltamir, please don't call me "limited" ... ;)

14. taltamir

hehe, sorry morpheus (yea i know you are joking and that you know that i know that you are only limited to which forums you moderate... that was a mouthful).

Anyways, you become a moderator by being designated as one by the person in charge. Every single website EVER was created by SOMEONE, the person who creates it is the administrator, he is in total control. He delegates power to WHOMEVER HE FEELS LIKE. He doesn't have to answer to ANYONE. Its like if you own a house, and have a party, you can designate your girlfriend as a person who has the right to kick ANYONE out, for whatever reason she wants. Ofcourse, if she is petty you two might get into a fight... moderating is ALOT like that. Sometimes the moderators are employees, sometimes volunteers, sometimes there are none.

So the REALISTIC approach to become a moderator is to become best buddies with the administrator so that s/he will give you such powers. I have seen people even PAY an admin off to get such rights, or offer various favors (even sexual) or even use blackmail. Ofcourse, that was in LESS respected establishments then here. (who pays for status online you ask? never seen someone buy a character in an MMORPG with real world money? and then buy stuff for it the same way?)

The problem is that for this site, the current admins have been inactive for monthes. If this was a normally hosted site it would have become a 404 page not found. As it is, its hosted by another site, called sorcerer's place. So the site keeps running, but overtime things break down and there is noone to fix them..

BTW, If you can't find extanium, or if he ISN'T the highest up. Contact the persons who run sorcerer's place directly. Ask THEM to contact whomever is incharge. If they can't, ask them to transfer over the powers over this site to someone new. As the site host, it is within their power to do so. (however, if someone actually PAYS them to host it, then it might not be possible for them to do so legally)

If they are paid to host it, then where is the money comming from? is someone STILL paying the bills? does it just have X amount of monthes prepaid and at any time this might expire and result in the site going down? we need to find out.

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I thought Exitium was the number one most important head guy in charge of this site and The Codex.

Our Host!