Guess what guys!...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Mensch86, Mar 12, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

...I just found out why the Silver Sword of Chaos foudn in Hickory branch is not craftable! When u wanted to add a +2 or a +3 enchantment it wouldn't have any effect. So I played around a bit, changing it's abilities (it's now the Golden Sword of Chaos Fire which gives u a Fire Shield like the one on the salamander ^^) and realized that instead of a normal Weapon Enchantment Bonus +1 this Sword had a To Hit Bonus AND a Damage Bonus +1. When I removed the two and replaced them with a Weapon Enchantment Bonus, it behaved perfectly normal when crafting!
    Hope this change makes it into the next version of Co8. :)

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Awesome!!!

Please post a fixed proto for the SSOC (with just that fix, not the fire shield and whatnot) in the General Modification forum. I bet Gaear could work it into Co8 7.2NC (whenever that comes out) pretty easily.

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I thought weapon enchantment did exactly that - +1 to hit and damage? Maybe it got coded in a weird way or sth.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's what I was wondering ... is that illegal or something?

I can make the change since it's quite simple but I want to know what's what first.

5. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

Yeah, in the end the effect is the same. Dunno why the game doesn't like a To Hit Bonus & a Damage Bonus as seperate abilities, but that seems to be the way it is.
    Anyway, it's not exactly rocketscience. ^^ Remove the 2 entries, insert a "Weapon Enhancement Bonus" +1, done. Takes like 2 minutes to test it. I don't think the guys who made whole new areas, created new merchants & quest really need me to upload my protos.tab for this. ;-)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  6. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

What Mensch86 is saying is that the Silver Sword of Chaos' proto (#4238) needs to have Property 3 and Property 4 removed, i.e.:

Property 3 Type | To Hit Bonus
    Property 3 Param. 1 | 1
    Property 3 Param. 2 | 0

Property 4 Type | Damage Bonus
    Property 4 Param. 1 | 1
    Property 4 Param. 2 | 0

(see the first screenshot below)

The above properties need to be replaced by (the following example uses the Property 1 slot):

Property 1 Type | Weapon Enhancement Bonus
    Property 1 Param. 1 | 1
    Property 1 Param. 2 | 0

(see the second screenshot below for the example of the Longsword +1 proto)

Attached Files:

7. Gaear

Ah, I get it. So the Kap kinda biffed that ... wonder why it worked at all really. Normally you can't put random stuff into a line like that without breaking the proto. Did the freedom of movement part actually work?

8. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

Yeah, that part worked if I remember correctly from my last game.

Thx gazra!! :)

EDIT: The Kap? What Kap? U mean cap??? ^^
    Oh and where those two strings ("To Hit Bonus" & "Damage Bonus") really invalid, as in they don't do anything at all?... And if yes, didn't u notice that, when u implemented the sword into the game?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  9. Gaear

The kap, aka the kaptain, aka krunch, creator of the Silver Sword of Chaos and author of Hickory Branch. This is ... not unlike something he would do, god love him. ;)

10. Gaear

Okay, fixes made. Thanks Mensch and gazra. :thumbsup:

There were also similar errors in numerous other Co8 custom protos, though most of them look like they never appear in-game. For the record, it looks like Troika only ever used the "To Hit Bonus" and "Damage Bonus" property types in protos with negative values like rusty weapons, and projectiles.

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Wouldn't all masterwork weapons also just get a "to hit" bonus? Never messed with protos though, maybe they've got another way of handling it.

Also, according to RAW, shouldn't the silver sword be getting -1 to damage?

12. Gaear

I think the masterwork property automatically confers that.

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

At the time of my mod, it was intended to only have +1, not have any higher pluses.

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I was tired of the common +1 weapon variety and wanted to add something different as a +1 weapon.
    You can edit it and make it craftable by instead using the weapon enchantment bonus property.

15. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

:rant:

It would have been nice for you to say that back when I reported the SSoC crafting bug in September 2006. Instead, you just said "I have an idea I need to test" and never followed up.

:roll:

Our Host!