Quick Draw?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ausdoerrt, Mar 14, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Feat description states: "A character with this feat may throw weapons at his full normal rate of attacks."

However, when I took it, I could still only throw one weapon per turn. Unimplemented? Bugged? Am I doing something wrong? It'd be awesome if I could actually throw 3-4 daggers per turn as per description...

2. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Are you using the radial menu to do a full attack? You can reload after every throw then.

3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Heehee, sounds like Quickdraw only offers a manual transmission, and Ausdoerrt wants the full automatic. :hug:

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Ah, that's how it is. Thanks for the tip. A bit glitchy but works. Now to wait another 2 levels for a feat spot, and to collect a full inventory of magical daggers.

5. LionXavier

LionXavier Werelion Monk

Some time ago, I wrote just about this issue HERE, and coincidentally enough, I was quoting you :)

Summing it up, the most confortable way to do it is with assigned quick-keys (ctrl+key): assign a key for full-attack (e.g. the 'A' key), and another one for throw dagger/spear/etc (e.g. the 'Q' key). Then, when in your turn, hit the A key; the cursor turns into a sword with your total number of attacks next to it; then hit the Q key every time before clicking over an enemy to throw him your weapon.

With this technique, you can build a very interesting ranged fighter (try a dual-wielding daggers character), although it would really benefit from an inventory system with stackable weapons.

6. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

It is a shame that the game does not allow you to have a case of javelins or a brace of throwing daggers that would stack and allow you not to have to use your full inventory for this type of character. One of the minor things that Baldur's Gate or NWN games had was this aspect.

Of course they also had features that TOEE did better. :D

7. tom

tom Established Member

I seam to remember many years ago playing AD & D a rule that said you could throw as many light weapons - darts/daggers as you had dexterity bonus. This was about 20 years ago.

How does toe handle thrown attacks?

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

OK, here's the definitive way it works:

Without "Quick Draw" feat, you can throw one weapon per round.

With "Quick Draw", you can throw as many weapons as you have attacks per round. For example, my lv20 TWF rogue can throw 6. You have to select "Full Attack" first, and then use the "throw" option. You do need to manually reequip every time you run out - you can't throw weapons from inventory. If you forget to use "Full Attack", you only get one throw - basically forfeiting benefits of "Quick Draw". You can only use Full Attack when stationary (it's a Full Round action).

9. Obadiah

Obadiah Member

Another purpose for quick draw (PnP anyway, haven't tested it in TOEE) is that you can switch weapons and still get an attack. That means that if you had your bow equipped and got rushed by some monster, you could switch to a sword and attack in the same round. Handy.;)

10. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Yeah, i usually add the "quick draw" feat by or around LVL 10 for any character that has more than one weapon loadout - I.E. for a Paladin that pretty much stays with a Holy ransuer, and/or has a sword and board backup, it's less important - but my rogue/barb/bard face character has 3 equipment loadouts, and so does the ranger/rogue.

Bard: 1. repeating crossbow iolo's joy (with a selection of various bolts) 2. enchanted 2H sword 3. enchanted longspear So with this feat, he can change weapons easily with no loss of actions depending on what is around him. He can also change bardic instruments with no penalty. he's usually mid to back-row in the line-up.

Ranger: 1. two enchanted bastard swords (dual-wield) 2. enchanted glaive 3. enchanted longbow 4. enchanted venom daggers (dual-wield) A TON of offensive options, he is usually my main tank character, besides the Paladin. with sneak-attack and higher dexterity, he also hits A LOT more often - and sometimes harder.

it even helps a utility/ war wizard build of Spugnior. I gave him 4 levels of fighter and the rest wizard, specializing in crossbows - the ability to switch to a enchanted crossbow with no penalty is GREAT. He does not waste a turn fumbling with it if he has run out of effective spells. he can also switch to various crafted rods with no penalty, which is also REALLY helpful when he wants to change spells available in crafted equipment...

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Yes, it's particularly good for any caster who uses Staffs a lot, since you have to equip them to use the spells.

12. Barles

Barles Member

Here's an interesting tidbit concerning this. I've taken Furnok as a party rogue and he has this dagger I can't seem to make him let go of even after multiple levels together. Apparently, here's why: if you equip the dagger and use this full attack + throw dagger thing, he doesn't need to reequip the dagger or retrieve it from the corpse of the enemy he hit. It's just still there, right in his hands. Great weapon. :)

13. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

iirc, Fruella's mwk cleaver does the same (see post titled 'Fruella's cleaver is boomerang' or similar). Seems to be to stop players pinching npc gear by having them throw it then having a PC pick it up. It would be great if this could be enchanted into weapons as 'returning' for PC use. As things stand in TOEE throwing is a bit of a faff compared with using a bow and costs more for magical ammunition so isn't worth the hassle IMHO.

Our Host!