Co8 New Content: Arena of Heroes

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. sickNsane

sickNsane Trip,Cleave,Repeat--

So.. if this isnt the correct spot for this im sorry im fairly new to forum use, I got stuck inside the arena.. is this a common issue? I beat all three rounds but the master never came back.. :( If this is not common then i can think of only two things i did which could have caused it and ill warn you all about. 1st- I don't have a rogue so i used dominate person on smigmal redhand (Genius i know :p) anyway i had her open the chest.. 2nd I rebuked most of the undead in round 3 but i executed them all after the main fighting was over, but now im just stuck, no door, book dont work, no arena master nothin :( any ideas or am i pretty much in restart status?

*Edit* sorry i didnt realize this was being discussed funny how people can make the same exact goofup lol :p

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. Tchos

Tchos Member

The arena is a fun time, and I was enjoying the challenge of the final fight, except it has crashed to the desktop twice now, on two separate attempts. Both times were after summoning the 3rd wizard and his backup by killing one of the others. The first time, I thought it might have something to do with the 3rd wizard fleeing after being turned, but the second time had no undead-turning involved.

I have made the mistake of saving during combat before, but I haven't done it for a long time, now, since I learned it was a bad idea. I also avoid the use of the console, but I may have done it back near the beginning of the game.

3. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

One tactic, though it can be painful, is to kill off all the other undead expect the wizards. Only when the 2 are left should you kill off one, and then as much as possible, kill off the other two. It can be quite helpful if you a priest with greater turning from the sun domain.

4. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Also have your spellcasters use all the summoning they can or use scrolls they can use, to keep the enemy away from you and soak up the spells/damage from the varied undead during battle #3.

5. Tchos

Tchos Member

Actually, those are the exact conditions of my second crash to desktop. I had killed all of the undead except for the two priests, then killed one of them to summon the third set. Things had been going extremely well in that run, which made the crash particularly frustrating.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sorry Tchos, haven't heard of anything like this before.

7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I have not either Tchos. You may know this but the game can crash even if you have done nothing wrong. May be that you had another program running that somehow tripped up something in TOEE or the game decided it wanted a break. I know it bites and is a pain, but I will hope that you were able play the third battle again and win over those undead hoards. :)

8. Tchos

Tchos Member

No, I didn't know. This was the first set of crashes I'd gotten with the game. But I haven't been playing it very long.

I haven't tried again since that second crash. I might try it one more time, maybe after doing some other things elsewhere in the game, to see if that changes any conditions enough to avoid the crash (game voodoo). If not, I was close enough to the end and my party was in good enough condition to just consider myself to have won the fight.

9. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well I will hope that you can get a successful finale to the fight and enjoy the goody that you earn with winning the last fight. If not at least you have tried and maybe in your next play thru you will be able to conquer the slimy undead masses in the last battle.

10. Gaear

Were you using the um ... area effect spell for druids - (Spikey Plants? Circle of Deathly Weeds?) - whatever it's called, by any chance? That's been known to be crashy in some wacky ToEE circumstances.

11. Tchos

Tchos Member

Actually, yes, I was using Spike Growth. I cast it on the new group that appeared after I killed one of the wizards. So there's that.

In any case, I went off and did something else for a while, clearing out the moathouse respawn and the little drow area that came after it, then went back to the arena for a 3rd attempt, and this time there was no crash. I was still using Spike Growth, but it concluded successfully anyway. :)

12. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

How will the AoH be updated in the future like HB is being brainstormed? Will this be updated?

13. Gaear

Haven't thought about that much yet. I'm really reluctant to change the third battle because that seems to have hit the sweet spot for most players. Personally I hate it when your software of choice changes something it got right the first time, my reaction being "all you had to do was do nothing and somehow you couldn't manage that?!?" ;)

14. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I'd suggest making the third battle become the first battle of the AoH moved for higher level parties, so you could keep it unchanged, while making two entirely new rounds after it that would be much stronger. (scrapping the owlbears and giants of course)

15. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

:love: :yes:
    If it's not broken don't fix it. Just my oppinion....

Our Host!