If You Could Play Anything on the ToEE Engine ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gaear, Jan 5, 2011.

Remove all ads!
?

If you could play anything on the ToEE engine, what would it be?

1. The Goldbox games (Pool of Radiance, etc.)

14 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. The Baldur's Gate games

15 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. The old Greyhawk modules like ToEE

40 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. My own favorite game, which I'll list below

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. None - don't bother

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lava

Lava Established Member

People would have to un-buy it for that to cause its economic failure, as you'd find this out after buying and playing it. I don't recall reviewers canning it for that reason.
    I suspect they didn't know how to advertise to the kinds of people who were going to like it. I for one salivate at the thought of fantasy without the stereotypes of elf in the forest and dwarf in the mountain, etc, etc. ;)

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If I remember correctly, games weren't promoted as much as they are now.

I remember having to stop by the video game store, (yeah that's right) and asking whats coming up.

I do remember seeing a Torment trailer on one of the Black Isle Studios games I had bought.

3. Lava

Lava Established Member

Yeah, actually, it really is a different world now, in that regard.

4. kio11

kio11 Established Member

ahha

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

This keeps being added to my new posts list, even though there hasn't been any new posting in quite a while.

So I'm posting this to see if that changes.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

A vote in the poll makes the thread become updated.

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Thanks. I was beginning to think I was haunted. :nervous:

8. Kragenskjold

Kragenskjold Member

Mine too.

9. sickNsane

sickNsane Trip,Cleave,Repeat--

I would like to see

Return to TOEE I played it p&p and it was a very fun and VERY time consuming scenario lol my cocky assasin sat in imix's throne needless to say i had to stop and make a new charecter shortly thereafter..

My dad ran a game in the Blood Bayou (pretty sure this was a whole new campeighn world like ebberon,greyhawk,forgotten realms etc, that is AMAZIING if you havnt played it

I enjoy Forge of fury(Greyhawk)

All of the freeport scenarios (I believe they arnt setting specific)

there are many i woukld like to see the easiest and smallest to add to the current game would be freeport and similur scenarious the total size probably being around that of the moathouse

Forge of fury is slightly bigger.

But a fun classic in my book.

*edit* I also think making mods based on the Books written about the icon charecters(Tordek, Regdar, Hennet etc would be cool the books were very good reads and would make interesting gameplay.

10. dragonalumni

dragonalumni Elemental Warrior

some extension after clearing the temple, like entering into a another plane and slaying demons with some buffed out level 20 group. :)

11. rapscallion

rapscallion Member

I have to agree with Keolander, Scourge of the Slave Lords (A1-4) then jumping into Queen of the Spiders (GDQ) would be my wet dream to see modded into the ToEE engine. Though I say finish it with Queen of the Demonweb Pits, cuz why not? Gygax's name is on it, and it's not like he created an alternate ending anyway. When it comes down to it, I'm for anything Greyhawk.

You should look into acquiring copies of the old Living Greyhawk mods from the RPGA, some were good, some were stinkers, but they're short and sweet. Short being the operative word when compared to the Giant or Slave series.

There's potential here in creating something pretty unique. It could have a large campaign feel with sandbox elements where players choose the mods they go on from adventuring hubs all across Oerik. Completion of some mods might bar or grant participation in others as Oerik changes from adventure to adventure. That thought is a bit grandiose, but still, it could be the culmination of a project wherein the baby steps are recreating RPGA modules.

I'm off to go play pen & paper ToEE now... in first edition!

12. Kelanen

Kelanen Sword Lord

Slave Lords/Drow/Giants are all good stuff. Played thru some of the individual adventures on PnP back in the day.

Each being a series would (should?) assure enough content for good scope + expansion.

13. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Wow, I thought this was a current poll- but my pick would be Wizard's Crown, a criminally underrated RPG that used limb specific attacks in combat (something that I didn't see again until Fallout 2 (it may have been in Fallout 1 but I played 2 before playing 1)...

14. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I actually picked up an Apple IIgs off eBay so I could play Wizard's Crown again. It was great until the power supply fried a couple of capacitors. I really should figure out how to replace them...

15. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I played it on the C64 and still have some of the old classics like Zork, Maniac Mansion and Might & Magic 1 & 2- of course, I have absolutely no way to play them but heck- they're history! :)

Our Host!