Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. jed beans

jed beans Member

Re: Temple of Elemental Evil Bug Report Thread

I am running TOEE with WINE on a laptop with 2 GB ram and 2.33 GHZ processor.

At first the game would start like a chainsaw, I would load it and sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't. Eventually through trail and error I learned that I had to RESIZE the dimensions in the toee.ctf as described here http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/temple-elemental-evil.

Then the game started fine every time! But the first party I made with a gnome rouge had this bug in which if I left clicked on him the game would simply crash. Effectively making this impossible to dismiss or use him I just restarted the game and things are working pretty well so far.

2. kungfuramone

kungfuramone Member

I just had a high-level encounter with a certain group of bandits modeled on a certain famous gang of forest-dwelling would-be do-gooders (let's just say they were Men In Tights.) I had *no idea* they were out there in 7.0! It was pretty fun / satisfying in that I had just fought the slavers and was still down on spells and (obviously) had no time to buff up before fighting the bandits. For a few rounds I was worried, but they wasted a lot of time flailing away at the Earth Elemental I summoned and, subsequently, I chopped them into little pieces.

Point is: thanks to the developers for dropping little surprises like this in as the editions keep coming out! :)

3. sickNsane

sickNsane Trip,Cleave,Repeat--

Just thought i would point out a couple things iv noticed, When elmo is in the wench if you go downstairs hes also in the basement and just say's "By Beory" when you try to talk to him hes fully armored is this suppose to be that way?

I got stuck in the arena of hero's because i rebuked one of the mages.

If you rebuke mathal or however you spell that the "Lich" he wont fight unless something gets withen his reach.

If you rebuke more then like 4 undead they tend to stop fighting during encounters,

hmm. well i know there are more but ill heve to post when i remember them.

I did notice that if you equip a buckler and like a greataxe or sword you can sometimes swap like a heavy shield with the buckler.. lol

4. Gog

Gog Member

My party was full (5-3) and I already have the crossbow and scroll when I encountered Wonnilon, and he went off to hide in his hole. After I recovered his gear and I talk to him, he behaved as if he was gagged every single time, and I tried everything from removing an NPC to make room for him to dropping the scroll and crossbow/ gear. So I didn't get (and naturally cannot complete) his quests, though he does join my party saying he'll search for his gear...

And he says the exact same thing even after I recruited him, so apparently I have this bound and gagged gnome running around with me...

5. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

My current save, outside the welcome wench, about to go and kill kendrew commonworth, is infuriating me. Every d*mn time I go into the welcome wench or go upstairs the game CTD's. This has consistantly reoccured over 5 times in a row now. Would you like me to upload my save? It's becoming unplayable.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's occurring whenever you go inside?

I don't think your save will do me much good other than to feel your pain of CTDing. ;)

7. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Why are you going upstairs anyway?

8. WinstonShnozwick

I was going upstairs to kill kendrew commonworth.

Yes. And I figured out why this is happening. It has to do with the PC models being rendered. The more armor and gear you have on, the harder the strain is. I've noticed this in the game in other areas in the form of lag as my characters move, but it goes away if I move the screen away from them. The CTD and lag stops if I simply remove some gear so it's not rendered.

Also, upon reaching level 19, my wizard's spell list for level 9 was able to pick a few strange ones. Three spells I havent seen on the list for help, and I think shouldnt? be there. Are they left over from bug testing? They have essentially no useful descriptions, and might be very overpowered.

Attached Files:

• Bug.jpg
      Bug.jpg
      File size:
      197.3 KB
      Views:
  9. chano

chano Established Member

I am guessing he is going upstairs because the guys he wants to kill is upstairs at all time.

10. Gaear

Interesting. What gear specifically? Maybe you should upload that save after all.

11. WinstonShnozwick

Dang, I rewrote it because I continued playing. But it's happened in my previous save, so not confined to my current save only. I just found that lots of flashy gear creates lag. The more characters you have the more lag if it happens. Large armor, flowy cloaks and capes, big weapons (ones with crafts that make them glow) all are contributing factors.

12. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Throwing this out there. Do you use a lot of PC created magic items? Did you make any wondrous items? Did you name anything you made magical? If you have a list of anything you made or wondrous that may help.

We have had issues with some player created gear before (i.e.: the extraplanar chest).

13. WinstonShnozwick

Lets see if I can remember: Note all elemental enchants are the bursts

Paladin:
    Cape of the Mountebank
    +3 Adamantium Plate (Named Obsidian)
    +3 Large Shield (the blue/white checker one, named Cobalt)
    +3 Keen Defending Freezing Flaming Shocking Halbard (Named Death Crescent)
    Giants belt of strength +6
    Gloves of Dexterity +6
    Ring of freedom of movement
    boots of speed
    helm of teleportation
    ring of resistance +2

Wizard:
    Grey robes of the archmagi
    ring of resonance
    ring of freedom of movement
    +3 keen defending shocking freezing flaming Rake (Named Face Basher)
    circlet of intelligence +6
    hedracks boots
    hedracks gloves

Bard:
    +3 Shocking Flaming Freezing keen defending Longsword (Named Flametongue)
    +3 Shocking Flaming Freezing keen defending Longsword (Named Shard of Krion)
    +5 Shield
    +3 Royal Plate Armor (Named Sheer Plate)
    Ring of freedom of movement
    Ring of invisibility
    boots of speed
    belt of giant strength +6
    gloves of dexterity +6
    cloak of charisma +6

About 95% of these items is in order. All items except the rings were created by my PC's, I found all of the rings. Going into the welcome wench, usual pausing to display all of the people models in WW, but just about every instance resulted in CTD. I de equipped the weapons, capes/cloaks, shields, and armor I think from each of them, walked in the WW, no crashing. Put stuff back on and continued normally.

14. Gaear

Heads-up: v7.1 is sitting on ModDB's server awaiting their nebulous authorization. We'll post news about it when it's ready, but you may want to keep an eye on ModDB if you want it sooner.

15. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Winston,

That is interesting. I have never had jerk-stop, but I always thought it might be because I have had decent computers. It may be because I do not make a lot of magical items (I do not like the experience cost).

On my next play through, maybe I will do what you did and see if I can create it.

Winston can you do a test for us? Can you only de-equip the items you named (i.e. Flametongue) and see if it still crashes?

If it still crashes, can you de-equip all items you created (i.e. did not find) and see if it still crashes?

Knowing if it is the large # of magic items, or specifically PC created, or named, items that cause the crash may help us.

Our Host!