Reforming a party larger than 5

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Azured, Jul 28, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Azured

Azured Lethal but deadly.

Hi, and thanks to everyone here at Co8 for new versions of the mod. I especially like the ability to have more people than the original 5 in your party (mainly due to my RL RPG group, which has seven people).

However, I've ran to a small problem now, as I'm trying to change my party's composition with the normal way of going to an inn and using the book on the table. The interface only shows the five first characters in my party and in the order that they were originally added to it. Therefore I can't even use the changing of the party order to remove a sixth, seventh or eighth party member. I can still add party members to an ongoing game even after the fifth up to the front-end set maximum, but I can't get rid of them.

Is there a console command to remove a genuine party member? I've tried the code that is supposedly able to remove NPCs from the party ("game.party[0].follower_remove(game.party[1])"), but it doesn't work on actual party members.

I'd really appreciate any help on this matter.

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

You don't need the console for that. Just go to the inn and click on the guest book on the counter and you can add or remove or create anyone you wish.

You can also have a party member talk to an NPC and tell them to hit the bricks.

3. Azured

Azured Lethal but deadly.

Both of these instances and why these solutions don't work are covered in the post. I can't tell a genuine party member (you know, a self-created character) to go fishing because that just isn't possible and I can't use an inn's guestbook because of the number of characters in my party. Any character whose place in the party is beyond the vanilla's number of 5 isn't even selectable. That's why I'm thinking I have to somehow console the extra character out.

4. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

If you want to remove the 6th or 7th party member, click, hold and move them into one of the 1-5 (0-4) positions before activating the book. They should then be visible when you click on the book to add/remove.

EDIT: OOPS, I was wrong^

I tried it on one of my games and it doesn't work as I described it above. Characters remain in position order as they originally started the game.

Sorry.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This is strange ... you'd think we'd have heard about such a limitation before now, since the extra PCs mod has been in use for years.

Can we get a few others to attempt to verify?

6. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Failing all else, you could always just "let" the 6th+ player die and remove them that way...

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Aye. If it's too painful for you, you can open up the console, and type

game.party[X].destroy()

Where X is the PC's index, starting from 0 for the leftmost PC.

8. Tchos

Tchos Member

It's a late answer, but I came here looking for a solution to that same situation. I can't remove a normal party member using the book in the inn. I originally created the party with 6 members, and later added an NPC. I was able to remove the NPC by talking to him, but I wanted to remove one of the original party members when I noticed she has terrible stats for a wizard.

Going to the party management screen with the book, I'm unable to click on any of the existing party members to remove them. They're all in red, and all the buttons except for "create" are greyed out. Clicking any of the characters that aren't currently in the party enables the "add" button. Clicking on any of the current party members does nothing.

So, I'll be using the other solutions offered -- either using the console to kill her, or killing her in combat so I can create a better replacement.

9. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well I am not sure why you can not delete her by the book. Have you tried to maneuver her to the number 2 slot, and then try it? If not just frag her and dump the body in front of Terjon. he will not mind in the least. :)

10. Tchos

Tchos Member

She was already in slot 4, and not in one of the NPC slots, but I tried this out just to check, and it didn't make any difference when I moved her to slot 2. It's okay, though. The console command listed above did the trick, and I added a better party member. I was close enough to the beginning that the difference in XP wasn't bad. I've just come back from enjoying the Welkwood Bog content. :)

11. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well even if you had been a higher level, a low level character will get more XP when you defeat tougher opponents. So they can level up fairly quickly.

12. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well good luck with the rest of your game and hope that you can have fun while you wade through the rivers of blood and guts and the Temple forces come at ya. :D

Our Host!