Casting spells from a scroll?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Plaid, Jan 27, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Plaid

Plaid Member

I am new to this forum, as I have recently installed Co8 mods - turned out to be only way to force the old game working again on my PC.
    Mod is great so far but i have a question : at character generation i have taken scribe scroll feat for my sorcerer to have more spells ready for use. After I hit level 3 at moathouse I entered that tower and scribed 10 scrolls of magic missle. Now when I try to cast missles from this scrolls, it spawn only 1 missle, (while normal cast from memorize produce 2).
    I am not expert about PnP rules, but in vanilla game this scrolls deffinetely spawned 2 missles.
    Would like to hear some detail how spells actually work from scrolls in Co8 from anyone, who knows this.

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I may be wrong, as I hardly bother to scribe scrolls myself, but I think the game defaults that the scroll will be at the minimum spell level to cast any given spell. So MM will be at level 1, Fireball at level 5, ect. Might be better to get craft wand where you can make 1-5 missile wands.

3. chano

chano Established Member

You could Burnes wand of MM, a bit tough at level 3, you would need to cheat a bit because you will be discovered more often than not, don't know your alignment but if you're not lawful good i guess a rogue would find it hard to resist.

Burnes assistant sell scrolls, and he usually have a MM scroll, you could try that to see if that also only gives you one missile, if so it is a bug as Burne is high level and is most likely the one scribing the scrolls.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I usually have my wizard craft a wand of MM and a wand of fireball for my rouge to carry, just in case I need additional artillery support.

The only thing scrolls have over wands is the bug that scrolls do not trigger an AoO.

5. r0gershrubber

r0gershrubber Member

In PnP, scrolls and wands are created with a specific caster level (usually the level of the creator at the time) and they always cast at that level regardless of the person using the item. I *thought* that there was a bug in TOEE/Co8 that causes scrolls to always be cast at the level of the character. This means that if a level 1 wizard got a scroll of fireball, it would only do 1d6 damage whereas in PnP it's not possible for a fireball to do less than 5d6.

I'm not sure what the "problem" is, but it might be that when you scribe a scroll, it is always scribed at the minimum caster level. To test this, make a level 2 spell and see what the caster level is. (You can do this with a spell with a duration and see how many rounds it will last.)

6. sirchet

When crafting a wand, lets say of fireball ... you can actually choose what level the fireball will be at ie 7-8-9-10.

I too am curious about the scrolls, I do know that if my cleric scribes a scroll of heal and my rouge uses it, it does 150 points of healing, but the rouge is level 15.

7. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

Wands do not draw AOO's; this is correct per pnp rules, unlike scrolls.

The entire scroll/wand system is pretty fubared in TOEE. *shrug*

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

Unlike the wands, the scroll does copy at the level that you were when you created it.

So, your scroll is producing one Magic Missile bolt because you were level 1 or 2 when it was created, but you can cast Magic Missile with 2 bolts now because you have gone up to level 3 or 4. You get third bolt at level 5, a fourth at level 7, and it maxes out at 5 bolts at level 9. However, you could be level 9 and casting from a scrol produced at level 1 and still only get one bolt.

It works in reverse too. If you come across a scroll made by someone above your level (like buying one from Burne), you will produce more bolts than you normally would be able to.

9. sirchet

So, are you saying that if a level 9 wizard scribes a scroll of Magic Missile and a level 1 rouge were to use it he would fire 5 missiles?

10. maalri

maalri Immortal

I am saying that, yes.

Makes you want to give the "Use Magic Device" skill a LOT more on your Rogue now, doesn't it?

:)

11. sirchet

I already do. I usually count on her to decipher scripts when we find scrolls, but now ... mwahahahahah

12. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I had not really known this about scribing scrolls. Of course I usually play tanks or holy types and do not scribe a whole lot, if ever. I will have to give this a go when I try 7.1 if and when it is out. :)

Our Host!