Anya, a joinable NPC character

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by krunch, Jan 27, 2012.

Remove all ads!
?

Would you like a new joinable NPC for the NC7 pack?

Poll closed Feb 6, 2012.
  1. I vote YES ...

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. I vote NO ...

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. I ABSTAIN ...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I would like to suggest the addition of a new joinable NPC to ToEE for the Verbobonc mod.

This is the female I was going to add years ago to HB 2 and would suggest she be added for NC version 7. Her levels might need to be increased, depending on what part of the game she would be added. I can determine differences, changes for more levels if needed.

Name: Anya
    race: female Elf
    Class: Barbarian 1 / Bard 3
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Size: Medium
    Height: 5'-0" or 60"
    Weight: 95 lb
    Skin: Pale
    Eyes: Green
    Hair: long wavy Red

final stat
    15 Strength
    15 Dexterity
    10 Constitution
    12 Intelligence
    17 Wisdom
    18 Charisma

gear: longsword, shortbow, leather armor

"Greetings! My name is Anya. I am an adventurer of the wilds and common places afar – a traveler, explorer, artisan, and spell-slinger in the grand path of the Bard."

Please discuss.
    Thx

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

HP 22
    AC 14

And, these would be her 41 skill points as applied.

Skill Points:
    Appraise +2
    Bluff +2
    Concentration +4
    Diplomacy +4
    Gather Information +4
    Hide +3
    Intimidate +4
    Listen +2
    Move Silently +3
    Open Lock +1
    Perform +4
    Search +1
    Sense Motive +2
    Spot +2
    Survival +3

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

krunch, you will also have to supply her full dialogue file. Right now she seems pretty one dimensional. (NPCs usually have some kind of backstory - think Furnok trying to provide for his retirement, Spugnoir looking for scrolls, Fruella trying to keep you under her thumb, etc. - unless you want her to be sort of just a generic mercenary.)

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Yes. But not a Barbar.

It would be nice if Pishella was fixed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Okay, Gaear.
    Here it is. Her dialogue is attached as a PDF file.
    Thx

note: Originally, she was set to be added to ToEE and to KotB. That is why you will see different text for both on page 2.

:)

Attached Files:

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Anya is looking for adventure. She believes she can help people. She learned of a tale, the TALE OF A STORY (in the PDF file on page 1), and was intrigued.

She is looking to write her own tales.

These are taken directly from her dialogue for ToEE:

> Greetings! My name is Anya. I am an adventurer of the wilds and common places afar - a traveler, explorer, artisan, and spell-slinger in the grand path of the Bard.
    > My journey brings me to Hommlet. I would like to heighten my knowledge of this place and places near to write great stories and maybe even an epic tale of lore.
    > Stories of bandits, raiders or thieves, whatever they may be - they are bad, indeed. I want to ride the razor edge, whatever the need and extent, to return joy to the good folk of this land.

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

note

This poll will close on February 6th, 2012 at 12:02 AM.

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

I don't think it ever a bad idea to have more options.

She seems like a female version of Zaxis, to a degree.

Was the first level of Barbarian just for the HPs? If not (or even if!), how do you explain that one in her back story?

Having a Bard around is kewl, and having the option to choose her, not have her randomly show up lie Zaxis, would be nice.

Her Stats are pretty astounding, I think I would lower one or two a bit, liek the Wisdom, perhaps.

My two coppers.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

My question is, why does she sport a short-bow?

With her being an elf she can use a longbow due to her race's affinity with archery.

Just wondering, also I think she is a great idea and would certainly pick her up along the way. ;)

10. maalri

maalri Immortal

I personally think a short bow is great for short characters.

It is really good Role-Playing. I currently have a 4ft 11inch human Ranger in my group, Archery specced, and she uses a short bow.

It doesn't always have to be about the numbers, and that really fits the Role-Playing aspect.

A shortish female elf I can see with a short bow any day, but why she is also a Barbarian, you have got to convince me on. Perhaps she was one of the "Wild Elves" races? Make her CN then, instead of CG.

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I agree, makes you wonder why elves are naturally adept with long bows.

Maybe elven longbows aren't quite as long as a standard longbow?

12. maalri

maalri Immortal

They always have been proficient with long and short bows and long and short swords since AD&D 1st Ed. In 2nd Ed. it was specialized (+1 to hit) -sort of like having a free racial Weapon Focus on 4 weopons!

It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense on the long bow, or even the longsword. The real world versions of these would be unwieldy, at least, for an "average" elven male of 5 ft 2 in and positively cumbersome for the 4 ft 10 in average elven female.

Now if we were talking about "Patherfinder" elves....

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

backdrop:

Anya possessed an uncommon and severely untamed, unruly emtional drive that caused her parents heartache. She started adventuring as a Barbarian. Anya quickly matured, and her passion for music and stories caused her to change her attitude and sing a different song [Bard humor]. Yes, Anya became a Bard and has progressed since as a Bard.

In combat, Anya prefers a longsword if she has to wield a hand weapon. Concerning the shortbow, maalri is correct; it is a good fit for her.

game mechanics:

The level of Barbarian does provide better HP and proficiencies. She, as a Barbarian, can rage before fighting and can run very fast. You gotta luv that about her.

Her stats should not be changed. She has two scores above the minimum scores for a Bard, Wisdom and Charisma. There is nothing wrong with those two scores.

14. chano

chano Established Member

level 4 npc in verbo seems a bit low, if the pc are level 10 plus it would seem unlikely they would accept her in the party, they would have to protect her too much.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

As I said in the opening post, "I can determine differences, changes for more levels if needed."

Thanks for the input.

Just as a footnote, an alternative could be considered: for example, Anya could be added to Hommlet at an earlier part of the game so that her 4 levels are sufficient when she would be able to join an adventuring party. Either that, or more levels could be added.

Our Host!