Iuzes Avatar Battle. MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zalmoxes, Jan 24, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

All right then. There's the thread ;)
    I'll start by saying that this is NOT a guide but merely the way I did it. I am absolutely sure that there are several ways to tackle this battle, depending on style of play of any of us.
    Party of 6 PCs. Wiz19/Barb1. Cle19. Sorc10/Monk5. Dru19/Barb1. Ftr10/Barb10. Bard10/Rog10.
    Basically, my Wiz cast Enlarge Person on Fighter10/Barb10 with Scather, Power attack at Max, Hastened by the Bard. That way he can hit hard while out of reach.
    Druid keep summoning Earth elementals, they last longer. When wizard not busy casting stoneskin(wand) on Fighter(which is every other turn) he summons chain devils. They don't die!!!!!!!They have troll-like regeneration. You'll be surprised then of other interesting summons. Nixies and Pixies are good! Forget Bears and the like. Cleric can offer herself as decoy using meld into stone(she has the periapt of wound closure as well ;) , what can I say, I have a soft spot for her,"Hope")) . Sorc helps with other summons, healing, stoneskins,etc..... Same the Bard.
    To draw sums, keep the Iuzes distracted while your "muscles" hack at them. And one more thing, you took "Improved initiative" feat, noooooo?:twitch:

2. UncleBuck

UncleBuck Member

After numerous failures, here's how I beat the 4 Iuz avatars. My party has six 20th level PC's -- Paladin, Fighter/Barb Rogue, Wizard, and Sorceror. Rogue has max ranks Use Magic Device Skill and scrolls of mass heal. Paladin has Golden Skull with all the Gems, Fighter/Barb has Scather, Cleric has Lareth's Club. Sorceror summoned elder elementals to occupy avatars, Paladin used Golden skull to summon demons to occupy avatars (one avatar even got sickened from the Hezrou stench). Balor was a waste of time, just cast dispel magic on my party before getting whacked by an avatar and exploding. Rogue used scrolls to cast mass heal on party. Wizard cast buffs on party (haste, quickened stone skin, forgot the rest). Before fight, Cleric cast multiple Heroes Feast spells on party. During the fight, Cleric cast quickened Greater Magic Weapon on Lareth's club and quickened Divine Favor, Divine Power, and Righteous Might on self. CG Barb raged and increased Power Attack to maximum. Summoned elementals and demons kept the avatars tied up, mass heal kept everyone alive, the haste gave extra movement and attacks, the stone skin helped keep the Fighter/Barb alive. Scather worked ok, but had difficulty keeping the Fighter/Barb alive since could only get a single stone skin spell per round on him from the wizard. Most effective was cleric with Lareth's club. Just about never missed the avatars and did massive damage. Cleric killed one avatar in a single full round attack. Still a very, very nasty fight.

3. veryfinemale

veryfinemale Member

After many failed attempts to defeat the 4 avatars of Iuz, I finally defeated all of them.

Thought I would share my method.

First I was able to pre buff, which was a pleasant surprise. All previous times I went to talk with Lady A and enjoyed an evening of pleasure. After the blank cut scene, game would immediately go to dialog and then I am sent off to fight. However, this time after the scene, I am just standing around in the room. I took the chance to buff up to the max, then I started the dialog with Lady A (when I was ready). Honestly I am not sure why or how this happened, but it was helpful.

On to the actual battle.
    My previous attempts used a lot of wasted spells trying to damage Iuz. Polar Rays, slay l iving, and others all used but then proved to have no effect. That resulted in a LOT of wasted time.

This attempt I changed plan to cast as many summoned creatures to fight Iuz (and take damage) for me. TOugh to surround all 4 in first couple rounds. But it is possible. A quickened lower level Summon Monster and another Summon Monster is possible from a couple spells casters. Continue to summon many creatures (and Magnificant sword and/or spiritual weapon) to fight. Mainly spellcasters are to occupy and distract (with creatures who take damage for party) and not so much to damage Iuz. Many Earth Elementals proved to be helpful.

Fighters and others. Perhaps 2 attackers at a time carefully approach an Iuz (who is busy dealing with summoned creatures) 5 foot step is Important,as you do NOT want to have to take FULL attack from Iuz. Hopefully you can attack and have Iuz still continue to attack summoned creatures, but no promise there Also Cleave allows him to strike you after he kilss a summoned creature.

I have a MOnk in the party who had nice high AC, but did limited damage. So I used Monk to run around using Scrolls to heal party members. You need many significant scrolls/ or potions.> Cure light wounds has limited effectiveness as it heals 5-10 points of damage (something like that) but you will take 50 points of damage easily from Iuz. Cure critical wounds and Heal spells are needed and lots of them.
    I also have Cleric use Miracle spell twice. Miracle is nice, but the character returns to live with limited HPs. A Heal spell is needed in next round (or from another Character).
    I had a pure fighter "die" 3 times in the fight, only to be "saved" by miracle spells and raise dead.

I have a party of 6 20th level characters and the fight took a LONG time
    45 mins (I think of actual real time)

Our Host!