Co8 New Content: Hickory Branch

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I believe that Lord Hungous is proto #14464 (Orc Commander). If that is the case, then his stats are:

Chaotic Evil half-orc level 6 barbarian / level 6 ranger, Deity: Gruumsh

Strength: 22
    Dexterity: 17
    Constitution: 15
    Intelligence: 12
    Wisdom: 10
    Charisma: 11

Skills: Listen: 9, Spot: 9, Search: 9, Concentration: 5, Hide: 9, Tumble: 9, Survival: 5

Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Orc Double Axe), Weapon Focus (Orc Double Axe), Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes

Ranger Abilities: Favored Enemies: Elf, Dwarf

Attack: +20/+15/+10 (+6 Class, +6 Class, +6 Strength Modifier, +1 Feat: Weapon Focus (Orc Double Axe), +1 Enhancement: Magic Double Axe)

Damage: Weapon: Magic Double Axe (Slashing): 1d8+10 (+9 Strength Bonus, +1 Enhancement: Magic Double Axe) +2d6 (Item: Magic Double Axe (Slashing))

AC: 16 (+3 Dexterity, +3 Armor: Barbarian Armor)

HP: 144

Will save: +4 (+2 Class, +2 Class)

Trip check: +6 (+6 Strength Modifier)

I agree with you, Major_Blackhart - I think that Lord Hungous needs MUCH better equipment considering that he is a level 12 enemy boss! He only wears nonmagical barbarian armor! Mind you, I already find the combat with Lord Hungous and his entourage too difficult for the level that my characters are when they are first able to fight him (they are usually all level 5, and at least one of my characters always dies in that combat before I win the combat if I do it when my characters are level 5). Maybe I am not using the right spells for that combat (I never use Web or Grease - maybe these spells would make that combat doable at level 5?).

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

My wizard casting grease works well for me coupled with weapon focus Glaive on my tank so when a certain evil half-orc gets up he gets hit ... hard.

Actually, I've found grease to be a very effective crowd control spell in most of the "staged" encounters. ;)

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Okay, we'll upgrade Hungous' armor to Barbarian Armor +1.

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

5. Gaear

I guess so. There's no reason it wouldn't be ...

6. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Who is the mithral plate in the chest for?

7. Gaear

Don't know ... you'd have to ask krunch.

8. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Probably not Krunch.

[​IMG]

9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Good thing it's not the +2 Breastplate. ;)

10. Badger-ude

Badger-ude The nonPnP gamer PoV

Firstly, kudos to whoever (Gaear I am looking at you) put the maqp together! It's great to explore a truely fresh area (I haven't reached Verbo yet)

The map is a great improvement over the old v1 map.

I did not expect for 'time' to be a factor in the quest, but the blockage wasn't challenging. I lost my level 4 rogue to an axe blow in the finale so I suppose that was my penance.

I noticed a pathfinding issue duringmy playthrough. After my party slew the dire boar and the snakes, my party was on the minotaur's hill when they were engaged by the orc archers. My melee fighters took several turns to trek back around the hill to get at the archers while my 4 ranged warriors attempted to duel with the (mostly out of sight) archers.

However, when my fighters were back on level ground, they took a rather roundabout route to get at the archers. There appeared to be a triangular area of 'dead ground' between the hill and the archers, which meant my fighters took several extra turns to get to grips with the enemy. The AI also seemed to be aware of this as the Gnolls would also skirt around.

I think HB is perfect the way it is and it would be a chame if the encounter was 'upgraded' as a post Temple area. Instead, a 'respawn' similar to the MH would be more desirable. It's such a great map it would be a shame if it was only utilised once!

11. Gaear

The cave blockage is really only intended to be a hindrance (and an excuse to whack at an object, which you can never do in ToEE), aside from RP appeal - e.g. it makes sense that they would do something like that if you dalleyed rather than simpy wait for you to come back and kill them.

The larger threat with delaying is that all the surviving lieutenants will assemble in the cave and make that fight harder.

I'll check out the pathfinding, thanks.

12. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Here it is: resting in HB will now behave the same way as travelling to rest in another location. Was easier than I thought :)

Next up:
    If you rest twice, ogres and bugbears team up to hurl the cave blockage on your sleeping wizard, turning him to pancake!

;)

Also, the scripting involves a useful technique for accessing hidden (OF_OFF) objects. I'll post about it in the scripting secrets thread.

Attached Files:

13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If we wanted to try this out would we just unzip it to the .scr folder?

14. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Yep, although I'm not sure why you'd want it? It doesn't change anything major, just preventing an exploit here.

15. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

I think this is a great idea. I too like HB the way it is and a post temple respawn of HB would be really cool.

Our Host!