What type of enemy do you most enjoy fighting?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Badger-ude, Jan 22, 2012.

Remove all ads!
?

What enemy type do you most enjoy fighting against?

1. A Goblin Horde

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. A Hobgoblin band

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. An Orc raiding party

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  4. A pack of ferocious Gnolls

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. A band of Ogres

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. A bugbear pack

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  7. A lizardman tribe

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  8. A band of Brigands

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  9. Fungi

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  10. Oozes

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  11. Zombies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Skeletons

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  13. 'Large' opponents (Ettins, Hill Giants, trolls)

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. Demons

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  15. Elementals

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  16. Tough Human Troops

24 vote(s)
    70.6%
  17. Competant Magic Users

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  18. Beasts and animals

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Badger-ude

Badger-ude The nonPnP gamer PoV

Greetings all,

I have always enjoyed modding and playing around with games. Many years ago, when I first discovered the Co8 mod for ToEE I tried to get into modding, but at that time the toolset was more complicated and I was more inexpeirenced.

After a few years of modding NWN, I am now more capable of enacting my vision. I have been getting to grips with the ToEE worldbuilder and I am fairly confident about making some fun new content.

At the moment I have plans for my own little sub-mod for Co8, with a few new NPCs (with emphasis on full fleshy characterisation) and some new combats.

What I would like to know is what sort of enemies would you like to see more of in a new encounter? I have read comments on here of people saying Bugbears have been done to death.

I'm currently writing an adventure for parties of level 6-8 as this is the current level of my party.

I have included multiple options, so if you'd prefer to think of it as 'enemies I hate/am sick of/there are too many already' then feel free to pick every option other than those.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

One of the more enjoyable fights is the last Arena of Heroes. Several "boss" type enemies surrounded by cannon fodder. Those spellcasters are doing the most damage to you, but your fighter types can't get to them directly without fighting their way through the hordes.

One fight I see from time to time that would be good is a random encounter of an ettin and 8 hobgoblins. The ettin is tough until later in the game, and the hobgoblins aren't all that tough, but there are a lot of them. Unfortunately, they seem to be different factions so the ettin fights the hobgoblins while you sit back and watch. I think this has been fixed, but i have not seen this RE since then.

I would think a dozen orcs, some archers, backed up by rock tossing giants would make a good fight. Throw in a shaman who can cast area effect spells like web or entangle would complicate things nicely.

3. Badger-ude

That's the kind of fight that I enjoy, like with the Brigands in the temple broken tower - very cramped confines, three distinct angles where the enemy are coming from backed up by spellcasters and archers on a higher level.

4. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I enjoy most fighting enemies that have class levels, so tough humans/spellcasters. It makes them actually challanging sometimes and gives them more reality.

5. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

Enemies with class levels make for fun and entertaining matchups I think.

6. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

I would like to see more orcs; they are so underrepresented in ToEE, maybe lead by some strong human/half-orc mercenaries. Actually any rare and somewhat strong creatures/mobs would be nice.

7. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

Moar Hydras!

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

I just really enjoy a challenge. Compentent casters, big a$$ monsters, and such.

If I fail at beating them once and have to THINK strategically, the next time, then all the better!

9. Badger-ude

Thanks for the replies all. So far the poll has shown that human opponents supported by large creatures and magic users are a favourite for all.

I have a nice plan in mind to create a challenging scenario for level 11 parties (post-Temple level 4).

After Wednesday, I will have time to implement my ideas. Trust me, I have devised a nice tactical challenge with the aim to seriously challenge a party.

10. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

One of the best examples of this is in two places, where strategy is important:
    Hungeous' cave (after the block has fallen and the fight is tougher) and the Nulb ambush in your house fight (after I intimidated the hell out of the assassin and he ended up being there).

Those fights were insanely difficult, and the first time I went through both, at least two characters died. Unacceptable to me, and so I went on to reload both until I got an acceptable result. But fucking hell, those fights were hard.

11. Badger-ude

The fight I envision is one that the party hasn't nessesarily prepared for (as I had not in the AoH finale).

I plan onhaving enemies attacking from each side of the party, with enemies fighting in a 3-deep formation (polearms and ranged weapons) supported by soem nice beasties and sneaky enemy types.

It's shaping up to be a good fight in my head :D

12. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Hydras with Cowbells!

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

An Orc raiding party

What else would the creator of the original hack-n-slash mod named Hickory Branch most enjoy? :)

14. chano

chano Established Member

Ochre Jelly or Black pudding mixed up with other enemies, to fight jelly and pudding you need to use bludgeon weapons .

15. Badger-ude

I love the tactical challenge of Ooze's, but I am not sure if they would 'fit' with the backstory of the encounter... I might throw in a couple :)

Our Host!