Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yes. Good gets Iuz, neutral gets balors, and evil gets Cuthbert. I'm ... surprised ... that the balors were easy. They are basically the third most powerful beings in the game. Just goes to show, I guess.

Either doing Monster Mash or getting Hextor Rat should trigger it.

It's the building in the center of town with the walls around it. Go to "town elder" via the signpost.

No - unfortunately the script only works singly.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I'd just like to point out that it's definitely the lack of return SKIP_DEFAULT that caused the problem with that node. I determined this through a painstaking process of elimination :p

3. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I found this while sifting through the Game Guide sticky thread:

Don't forget to change this so that the player will always be able to do Burne's puzzles.

Spoiler alert!

Regarding the opponents that the player faces in the 'Demons & Demigods' quest, [my remaining text in this post will be in grey because it contains spoilers - highlight the text in this post to read it]

I think facing 4 avatars of Iuz or 4 avatars of St. Cuthbert or 4 Balors is boring. Variety is the spice of life. Facing 4 of the same thing makes the combat much less interesting than if each opponent that the player faced was a different monster with different strengths and weaknesses. Players who play the game with a neutral alignment have a MUCH easier combat in this quest - the Balor is nowhere near as powerful as Iuz or St. Cuthbert. I would argue that Zuggtmoy is more powerful than the Balor (from personal experience). I suggest mixing these combats up by only having 1 avatar of Iuz, 1 avatar of St. Cuthbert, 1 Balor, and then adding some different monsters (bearing in mind that the neutral vs. Balor combat would require significantly more monsters to fight to make up for the Balor being much weaker than Iuz or St. Cuthbert.

How the freaking heck do I make text the same "colour" as the background?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  4. Gaear

Fixed. I've tweaked Asherah in a variey of ways ... she had more than a few issues.

That's normal for Earth, but Fire had the testing 'fix' we arrived at in v7.

This is known. I'm not sure but I think it may have something to do with the prevalence of widescreen resolutions nowadays. No idea how to fix it.

Touche. ;)

Fair enough gazra, but for what it's worth it was not really envisioned as a spice-of-life encounter but rather a throw-the-hardest-enemies-in-the-game-at-you encounter and a plug-in-these-few-mobs-and-be-done-with-it encounter. Orchestrating large-scale tactcal battles takes a lot of time and effort, and it seemed to me that with the popularity of everybody trying to kill Iuz and/or Cuthbert all the time during the Hedrack battle, it was a no-brainer.

Use the spoiler function. If you can't finf the spoiler button in the post editor (big S with a red box around it), just wrap
    tags around your post.

5. wasbear

wasbear Member

So, is there an estimate of approximately when v7.1 will be out? I'm looking forward to replaying with the bugfixes.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

This is a test of the Spoiler hiding system ....
    If this were a real spoiler you would be alerted to where to go and what not to read.

It works! Although I still haven't seen that spoiler button.

7. silo25

silo25 Established Member

town elder - east of BS

8. Gaear

Soon-ish.

Do you seriously not see this stuff? If so I'll have to investigate ...

hw copy.jpg

vb copy.jpg

Yes, he is east of all the bullshit. ;)

9. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

How do you make your spellcaster better at using touch attacks or ranged touch attacks in general? They miss a lot. I think I remember there are feats to take to help with it, but I can't remember.

10. mwnn

mwnn Member

I believe you'd have to take point blank shot and precise shot - else take the -4 into melee penalty

11. sirchet

Amazing!

I have a blank space where those two buttons should be, but if I act like they are there and click on the spot I get the desired effect.

Attached Files:

12. mwnn

mwnn Member

Same invisible (and functional) buttons here - but then I use Opera

The buttons don't seem to appear under Internet Explorer 9 either :confused:

13. sirchet

I'm using the latest version of Firefox.

14. justroc

justroc Member

Thanks for this console tip, it worked and I had a rollicking good time completing the WotGS! Numerous jerkstop instances meant I repeated a number of battles which was still fun as they played out differently each time. I would recommend all to save in between all battles in the WotGS as I found jerkstop events to be a frequent nuisance, but eventually I got through to the final battle without one occuring. After the WotGS this ceased happening.

Bravo Gaear and the Co8 team, this is an amazing mod! Althought the runup to the last battle was predictable (in part due to my reading this forum yeah), I found the battle against the
    four Iuz avatars
    to be anything but boring! I recall someone wrote in this forum recently to ask if they were challenging at all ;) The answer is yes. It is by far the hardest fight in the game (unless St. Cuthbert is harder). It was the first battle I had to adopt radically different
    spells
    and
    tactics
    to my preferred battle plan, I don't know how many times I ran the battle before I was able to kill more than one. Without gaining initiative things tend to get ugly fast. The first time I tried to fascinate one with my bard it worked, but I would learn how rare that was - that's no spoiler btw if anyone wants to try to fascinate
    Iuz
    then good luck! In the end what worked, worked and what didn't was pretty bloody obvious. I will probably come back to the battle to see if any other strategies might work, this one has probably occured to others already but that was damn hard! What are
    Iuz's
    stats in 7.0 out of interest? I'm guessing they are closer to this http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/211805-iuz-stats.html than to this http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430213. Eight Balors wouldn't be half that hard I bet ;) Or would they?

Thanks to Sirchet for the anti-spoiler advice!;)

15. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Could someone explain what all of the options do in the tactical area of the combat radial menu?

Also, color spray is a godsend in early game fights. Knocking multiple baddies unconscious for your meelee units to hack up is extremely useful when you're outnumbered and outclassed as it is.

Our Host!