Vorpal Quality weapons?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Major_Blackhart, Jan 17, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

Is there a way to put in a vorpal quality weapon in the game (if not as a craftable option, then perhaps a Vorpal weapon itself)?
    I was thinking that the crafting options were hardcoded. I would think a Vorpal weapon would operate a little differently from a normal weapon. The weapon's critical threat range is increased by 1 already (not counting keen or improved critical), and it's critical damage multiplier is increased by 1. So a Vorpal Falchion would have 17-20x3, and it would already be magical at +3, so it could still have other options attached to it, but it would be very expensive in both experience and gold to upgrade. Beyond that, it could still be upgraded by Keen or improved critical, holy, axiomatic or anarchic, etc.
    Vorpal rules, I know, state that on a natural roll of 20, enemy is decapitated if it has a head. Very nasty, yes. I doubt you could do that in TOEE however. Still, I love the idea of a vorpal weapon, and I figure something that just allows you of doing a crap ton of critical damage to an enemy might, just might, be a good replacement. While not a true Vorpal weapon, it is still pretty nasty in it's own right.
    A barbarian rogue with a bursting holy vorpal blade and improved critical might be one of the nastier characters out there.

2. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

There is a BRUTAL magical longsword only available by console use called the "Sword of CAHOEM" that is probably as close to vorpal as TOEE gets. It has a NASSSSTY spell effect that auto-kills all enemies in it's effect radius, hence it's name means "Cut All Heads Off Except Mine"... this is in the flavor text description. No roll of 20 required.

It is a +3 magical longsword, but with that effect, it does not really matter does it? :)

If you want to sample it's destructive properties, BEWARE. I have had several games corrupt after consoling it in. It would appear it is "not entirely stable.." The code is listed in the MES file, and is also in gazra_1971's excellent game guide.

Seems like the ideal weapon though for an elven cleric of Nerull with the Death and Trickery domains ... at least that was my thought until my save games corrupted. :( of course it could have been something else...??

3. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

I've always felt that Vorpal weapons were perfect for combatants on the darker side of the alignment field, mainly chaotic neutral, evil, and neutral evil subtypes.
    I have to wonder if, on a natural role of 20, the weapon can actually be used to instantly decapitate enemies. A vorpal weapon quality requires a +5 weapon in DnD, this much I recall. Beyond that, I can't remember much. I think however, inproving the critical threat range and multiplier, while nowhere near as good as rolling a 20 and instantly killing a son of a bitch, is a pretty decent exchange, given the limitations on what can and cannot be done. Unless you code in simply on a natural roll of 20 the weapon just causes so much damage that no enemy can stand against such an attack.

Even then, I think that would probably be a little bit difficult.
    A toned down Vorpal quality, similar to the one I suggested about it being a +3 weapon with nastier critical capabilities would be good. Otherwise you really risk making the weapon too powerful for CO8.

4. Allarde

Allarde Member

well I think vorpal quality weapon in the game is very useful for game player due to its better margin or distance of shoot. if some more weapons introduced in other version of game then this action is very effective full for game player during playing game.

5. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well if you want the game to be fair, give the Vorpal sword to some Boss and have it used against you. That would really make things worth a battle :)

6. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

That would be awesome. Probably the best way for a character to use it.

Give a vorpal weapon to a Chaotic Evil Barbarian. +5 Keen Vorpal Great Mace. Hell, he'll destroy anything he comes across.

7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Really get cheesy and give it to the White Wyrm by Verbobanc. It uses the Vorpal weapon as a toothpick after it eats all those pesky merchants that get stuck in its maw. :D

Our Host!