ToEE + Modpack Problems

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Daemon6, Jan 20, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Daemon6

Daemon6 Member

Hi all,

I want to start by apologizing if this is in the wrong forums as I could not find a place specifically for help requests.

I recently installed ToEE and the Co8 modpack, but when I go to play the game freezes and I have to manually kill it. I followed the instructions to the letter (as far as I can tell); I installed the base game, updated with patch 1 then 2, I insured that Microsoft Net Framework was activated, and didn't interrupt the installation at all. However, as stated at the beginning of the paragraph, when I go to play I'm able to get past the initial load screens, but when I press any of the buttons the game freezes.

Technical specs:
    CPU: i7-2600k 3.4Ghz
    MB: ASUS Sabertooth p67
    Memory: Gskill 1600 8Gb
    Video: 2x ASUS 560ti's in SLI
    SSD: 2x 120Gb sata/6 ssd's in raid 0
    HDD: 1Tb
    Monitor: 2x 22" ASUS LCD's

note: I'm listing these specs because I'm concerned that one or more might be a cause for the problem.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

See the link in my sig for a list of common problems to check ...

I'm thinking the movies or antivirus issues, for starters.

3. Daemon6

Daemon6 Member

Hmm. I turned off the intro movies, but didn't do anything with my antivirus software; I'll check it out.

As an aside, I just want to thank you guys for all the effort you put into this completely amazing game, I bought it when it came out and it still ranks right up there with mass effect 1&2 for my all time favorite games, and that's in large part due to the effort you guys put into it! :)

4. Daemon6

Daemon6 Member

Hmm, so I looked at your post and, as per suggestion, I disabled scaling. Started it up and it seems to be running, though I haven't actually started a game with it.

I do, however, have some questions with regard to customization. I assembled a large number of Icewind Dale 2 portraits, and a few of the voices for ToEE, which I used with the modpack way back when it was in its early stages (~2 to 4), and I was wondering if I could still modify these without causing issues.

Also, has there been any issues with playing the game at high and/or widescreen resolutions, like 1680x1050?

5. Gaear

1680 x 1050 is about the highest supported resolution (that's what I use). There's a sticky thread in this forum that discusses it.

Portrait packs have changed, see also the sticky thread in this forum for 'official' packs (there's one for IWD) or a modern do-it-yourself guide. Don't use any old packs as they won't work right.

Thanks for the compliments and have fun. :)

6. Badger-ude

Badger-ude The nonPnP gamer PoV

I believe therein your problem lies. Have you tried booting it via the copy of Windows XP that comes with your Windows 7 Professional install?

7. Gaear

I'm pretty sure Windows 7 Professional 64bit has been shown to get along with ToEE.

8. Daemon6

Daemon6 Member

It's running alright so far since I changed the scaling option, though I haven't played for any length of time as I'm still trying to get IWD2 portraits :p

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I also run TOEE on Win7 64 bit and low and behold ... version 7 killed all of my video/movie problems I had with earlier versions, (I run a 40inch HDTV for a monitor with 1980x1020 native resolution.

I don't even have to disable movies anymore, which is great due to the new slide shows that are part of version 7. ;)

10. deedlodoo

deedlodoo Member

Hi, newbie (kinda) here.

I am trying to run ToEE with Co8 modpack 7.0 NC on a notebook with Windows 7 64-bit version. I followed gaear´s installation instructions (except the bit about running it as admin, which I didn´t notice) and ToEE seemed to run smoothly. I never went past the screen where the adventuring party buys equipment as I was trying to set up a "perfect party" and couldnt settle for some characters. Then I made a big mistake: I used Alt+Tab and after I returned to ToEE the screen was black and I couldn´t interact with anything. I thought "no big deal, I´ll simply quit it through task manager and restart the game...". However after this event the screen stayed black whenever I´d start the game. Naturally, I reinstalled it, however the problems seemed to persist and a new one poped up - the "another instance of TF-X is running etc.", which I managed to get rid of by running TF-X as admin. The problem now is that no matter what I do, the game freezes approximately 3-4 seconds after loading (vids disabled). Since I am using a notebook with two videocards (Intel and Nvidia, Intel is predominant) and the interface of both is kinda screwy, I am not offered an option to enable/disable the scaling (not sure if no-scaling is enabled by default or not). I don´t know what to do, hence any advice would be highly appreciated. Sorry for the wall of text and thank you for making awesome mods :).

11. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

By freezing do you mean this?:

Did you try Alt – Tab first? In my case the game freezes every now and then to the start. Music goes on but the mouse cursor is unresponsive, about the background animations I can’t say (never paid attention). So tried to go back to desktop (or maybe to Co8 forum, can’t remember) and pressed Alt – Tab, that activated the game instead of moving me back to desktop. If you are suffering from the same issue than I, it is a Microsoft thing not a ToEE, since it has happened to me with some other games too.

12. deedlodoo

deedlodoo Member

Thank you very much, this seems to have solved the problem. Strange, now I seem to remember that I encountered this problem and solution in other games too :). Anyways, thanks again.

Our Host!