How to play the Circle of Eight's Mod for newbies

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by emo_ome, Jan 19, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. emo_ome

emo_ome Butcher Of Hommlet

Hello everyone, I would like to show you some parts of my upcoming guide for newbies. Here are some of the map samples that I'm making, I accept any corrections and suggestions on the samples.(I hope I'm not breaking any copyright issues regarding w/ the maps & etc.)

I'm almost done in creating the guide, except for the maps of the ff: Hommlet, Emridy Meadows, Moathouse (Exterior & Interior), Nulb & ToEE.

If anyone could point me where can I find the townmaps of Hommlet, Moathouse, Nulb & ToEE, I would gladly appreciate your help. I know it's somewhere inside the .dat files but I don't know which one, I don't want to extract all of them just to find where it is, probably a waste of time and some bytes I guess.

(BTW: I've pm some of the members and staffs already, I hope to see your reply a.s.a.p. Thanks!) ;)

Attached Files:

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The way you did the maps you posted is excellent.

3. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

This looks quite promising, and I hope you can finish. Besides a map key of the areas in the game, will you make a walkthrough?

-The text might be able to use a bit of enlarging, I was straining my eyes sometimes while checking the key.

-Colosseum is spelled wrong in the verbo map.

4. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Nice dude. Looks like they could be maps for a PRIMA strategy guide! :)

Good luck!

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

6. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

Those maps look fantastic. Very artfully done and nice attention to detail.

The 1 note Id make is the Welkwood map having the number 1 and a letter I, both being a straight vertical line. Maybe edit the letter to be an "I" instead.

Courier New is the expamle above, displays a 1 and I.

Book Antiqua can be used too, displays a 1 and I.

7. emo_ome

Thanks for all your wonderful comments guys!

Let's see, I'm 40% done in creating it.. Yep, a full walkthrough/strategy guide on both ToEE & Co8 w/ the help of gazra's game guide.

In the original image, the text are large and easy to read. It's just that I resized & compressed the images to post it here.

I've followed the spelling in the signpost at Verbobonc. So...

I also think that they may somehow confusing to read, I'll change it. Thanks!

Questions:
    I need to ask some questions because I can't find them here in the forum, anyone can answer. I've some answers on this but I needed more info. I was thinking of putting this as an introductory part of my guide, kinda a little history.
    • What is the Circle of Eight Community?
    • When did the Circle of Eight Community began modding/fixing bugs? (since 2003?)
    • What is their very first mod released in public? (I always think v4?)

8. sirchet

I think if you pm'd the illustrious Bastard Maestro, (Gaear) he would probably have an insiders opinion on this. ;)

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

He already did and I already pointed him to the towmnmaps ... :)

The first public release was actually v1 in I believe October 2003, one month after the game came out. In those days the releases were basically just a few script files and such and they were considered 'fan fixes.' Version Two was much the same and released in I think November of that year. It wasn't until v3 under zhuge in 2004 that it started to become really significant in size and scope.

10. sirchet

Yup, I can almost remember getting the first fixes here for a then very frustrating game. ;)

11. emo_ome

Small Update.

Trying to finish the guide.. but RL is keeping me busy, stuck at 40%. :(

[​IMG]

12. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I can understand how that can be and so work on it when you can. Real Life can be a bummer.

BTW, the pic looks cool. When your done I would like to see how the finsihed product shows.

Our Host!