Gremag vs Armario

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Dreddnawt, Jan 14, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

Is this quest still bugged and/or incomplete?

[​IMG]

So the skinny is, Gremag enlisted my evil party to assassinate Armario. Posts here from years ago (http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5856 and http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5871) say the quest cant be completed. Stupid player, expecting a quest to be valid, pft.

NOT killing Armario leaves the quest hanging open. Killing Armario also leaves the quest hanging open. Attacking but not killing Armario lets him escape and still leaves the quest open. Letting him escape also causes a bug that puts an invisible Armario in his house which runs around the room forcing you to remain in combat mode whenever you enter, as shown in the attached screenshot. And Gremag doesnt seem to mention this again no matter what you do.

So my questions are:
    Why is a quest still active that cant be completed under any circumstances and only serves to kill the only masterwork bow merchant in the early game?

Is there something Im missing that allows this quest to be completed or progress?

Why is it titled "Gremag 1" if there is no follow up?

Attached Files:

2. 7ty7

7ty7 Member

In the version I have, 7.0 NC, it can be completed with no problems, I have done so a few times. There are 2 more quests that follow this one, that is why the title might be Gremag 1.

EDIT: If you have trouble targetting him because he becomes invisible, happened to me once, target his portrait on the top with a manual attack.

3. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

Must just be me then. I killed him and got no reaction other than Ronald going kos as soon as I attacked. Reloaded, dropped Ron, then killed Armario again. The bug shown above only happened when I was testing for a response from them. If you attack Armario but DONT kill him, then what you get is that invisible Armario as in the picture. I can simply kill him via picture targeting but thats not the point. Either way, kill him clean or kill him invised, the quest doesnt update for me.

Ive tried wasting time resting to see if the "Dont come back too soon" part of the dialogue was a clue. As of now, Im playing with a clean killed Armario and going on about the game to see if advancing triggers the traders to act right.

So far I get no response from Gremag, he just says "Want to barter?" or "You got nerve showing your face here" (forget the exact wording, at work atm). I did oust him and damand the magic sword to keep quiet, but I didnt rat them out. Also, the traders arent hostile to me and they have been alone in their room since I first neglected to hire their thug.

But theyre acting as if I turned them in just as they did when I played Good in 6.1. Im on 7.0 now and playing evil so expected different results.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'm sure the quest isn't wrapping because when Armario runs off his dead flag isn't set, and when he reappears invisibly (which occasionally happens with mobs who run off improperly - no idea why), his dying script may no longer run if he's killed. (When many NPCs die, a flag is set that tells everyone else they're dead. If it's not set for Armario, Gremag won't think you killed him and won't advance the quest.)

This will be fixed by removing the runoff action from Armario in future. He will instead just stand there and let you kill him so that the quest can be completed. (Most generic and non-combatant NPCs were made to run off when combat starts a few releases ago, so they would appear to be at least slightly rational.)

5. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

So I probably botched it when I was playing games with Armario (just tried nickname him but Army would have been confusing).

Not a huge issue since Im sure I can make up the xp with an extra random map encounter. I was just getting frustrated trying to find the hook that finished the quest. Oh well, Id rather be wading through blood in HB then picking off defenseless villagers anyhow. =)

As always, Thanks for the help.

6. silo25

silo25 Established Member

he didnt run off for me but still cant get the quest to progress

7. rapscallion

rapscallion Member

I've been encountering this bug as well. I kill Amario clean, and the quest doesn't go green (show completion). I may go back and attempt this prior to blackmailing the two merchants, or even speaking to Terjon about the moathouse to see if this resolves the issue. Also, it should be noted that Gremag 1 will sometimes vanish from my logbook only to reappear while I scroll through the quest entries.

8. Tathum

Tathum Member

I bumped into the same problem on this quest, but I did note that when you first get the quest that Gremag tells you to not come back to him when the Amario is dead. He says to wait and he will contact you at a later time...

Planning in saving it right before and letting time pass to check later tonight...

Our Host!