New Idea for Random Encounters/Missions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Major_Blackhart, Jan 16, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

Just thought of a few good ideas for Random encounters and new content, one of which is based off decisions you made during the game, the other being a possible quest from Verbo, perhaps after doing the wanted quests.

First one: dependant on whether or not you let the gnolls go at the Moathouse. Encountered much later, they are more difficult, better armed and armored, with a larger raiding band around them. The Gnoll leader now is known throughtout the region, and if it becomes known that you let them go, you earn an unfavorable reputatiton in some areas until you correct your mistake. The Gnoll leader should be much higher level than the rest of his lessers (having killed off those that would challenge him) with a Lieutenant or two. Bone armor for him and his lieutenant, but beyond that, the rest wear chain shirts. He also carries a +1 Battle Axe, and has Bugbears and Kobolds in his amateur hour warparty.

Second one: After you take the wanted quests and complete them, the Captain has another bit of work for you. This time, it's a vicious party of evil warriors descended from somewheres that's attacking caravans, leaving no survivors, save for one that they brutalized and tortured before leaving to die. You are to go on a caravan and pose as bait to lure them out, then fight them.
    You could use the raided caravan map and have it act as a random encounter that's triggered when you accept the quest and speak with the caravan master or the Captain to activate the quest.

You have this epic fight with a level 12-15 evil party, ranging from a magic great mace wielding barbarian of Erythnul, a cleric of Hextor, an evil bard/rogue, an evil fighter/rogue, to an evil ranger.
    Classes/races could be as follows:

Barbarian - Level 15, Half Orc, Great Mace +1 of Fire, Adamantium Plate +1, Gloves of Ogre Strength, Amulet of Constitution +2

Cleric of Hextor - Level 15, Human, Flail +2 of Law, Dwarf Armor +2, Tower Shield +1, Gloves of Ogre Strength, Amulet of Wisdom +2

Fighter/Rogue - Level 8 Fighter/Level 7 Rogue, Human, Great Axe +1 of Ice, Mithril Plate +1, Mithril Buckler +2, Gloves of Ogre Strength, Amulet of Constitution +2

Bard/Rogue - Level 10 Bard/Level 5 Rogue, Gnome, Short Sword +2 of Fire, Mithril Shield +2, Mithril Chain +1, Gloves of Dexterity +2, Cloak of Charisma +2

Evil Dual Wield Fighter/Ranger - Level8 Fighter/Level 7 Ranger, Half-Orc, Bastard Sword +2 of Thunder, Kukri+2 of Thunder, Marauder Armor +2, Gloves of Ogre Strength, Amulet of Consitution +2

Improved Criticals abound, Greater Weapon Focus for Fighters, all in all, makes for a vicious fight. Party leader is Cleric of Hextor, with his number two being the Gnome. The rest are all muscle.

2. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

The gnoll idea is sort of implemented int he game already isnt it? I thought if you let them go they end up raiding caravans as per the vanilla storyline. I admit Ive never done the second gnoll encounter as I have a stigma about letting gnolls live. I like the idea of making the encounter much tougher though.

The evil party is a great suggestion. I would say swap in 4-5 levels of Rogue to the Barbarian, that may cost him a dozen HP but it will at least double damage, make him much harder to hit, and make him the greatest threat overall. And maybe add a pure caster, Evocing Sorc with Spell Resistance, Stoneskin, Bear, Cat, Eagle, and Amulet of Health +6.

3. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

I didn't even know you could encounter Gnolls a second time. I thought you only came across the remains of the caravan that had been destroyed.

4. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

^ That may be it. Like is said, I cant let them live.

PS, wont chain shirts on gnoll bodies snag fur in sensitive places??

5. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

They wax, 40 year old virgin style.

6. Doogleplex

Doogleplex Solar

They wax, 40 year old virgin style.

-OW!

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

They'll shred flesh on a human if there's nothing under them to protect the skin.

8. chano

chano Established Member

The gnoll thing would be cool as an encounter during the temple exploring time.
    Another big fight against human opponents is not something i feel is needed.
    Rather have another drow encounter with lots of poisonous spiders.

More Ochre Jelly and Black Pudding is needed in a mix with other creatures so you can't use sword and hacking weapons.

9. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

Since there already is a good aligned group in a RE I would gladly see a similar encounter with an evil one.

Also a Drow or higher level brigand/gnoll etc. encounter would be nice too. Now most of the RE’s, especially later on the game, are more like an annoyance. Sure eight hill giants or fourteen trolls maybe a challenge, if you haven’t rested, but boring. A little more spice, please.

10. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Even a necromancer with several undead followers would make a good RE. The undead act as cannon fodder while he pelts you with good spells.

Our Host!