Discussion of gazra_1971's Game Guide

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Jan 13, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    I just discovered the best way to fight the Salamanders in the Fire Node ( for once, having the system lock up in the Fire node was good for something: I got to replay the big Salamander fight several times). The trick is to have a "Front Group" of heavy hitters ( I use a fighter, a cleric, and Elmo) that is buffed out ( Resist Elements, Protection From Elements, Barkskin, Stoneskin, etc.... ) and a "Back group" ( in my case a Wizard, a Bard and Meleny ) that is several feet ( 30 - 40' or about 1/4 the screenwidth at a guess ) away, protected by a Lesser Globe of Invulnerability. The Salamanders will cast their fireballs at the Back Group, leaving your front group to deal with nothing but melee attacks ( and few of those ).
    I need to re-state that Lesser Globe of Invulnerability doesn't work according to RAW, as it cancels out ALL spells when d20srd specifically states that it doesn't cancel spells that were cast prior to the casting of the globe. Here are two screengrabs from a runthrough I just did a couple of minutes ago. Please notice the status of everyone at the end of the battle. The only other spell I cast during the battle was a Haste cast on the front three. I also noticed that after the Lesser Globe ended, the buffs that I had cast on the back three "came back", but shouldn't they have remained in effect throughout the battle ??

The Royal Canadian

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

The way it works in TOEE is that the globe cancels all buffs in radius temporarily, but they come back if you leave the globe. No idea if that's consistent with RAW or not.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hey gazra, how about a regular conventional walkthrough with screenshots and all that good stuff? (e.g. "Our adventure begins in Hommlet, where we see blah-blah-blah and ask him about this and that and soon find ourselves battling Mathe's undead horde at Welkwood Bog! ...") I'm reminded of the lack of such a thing (for the Co8 mod in particular, and a modern one in general) by this guy's thread: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9063

If you (or any other willing and comptent person) were to do one, we could post it at our site at ModDB so the world would get to know it quickly and it would hopefully supplant the old outdated walkthoughs.

~

As an aside, did you know that you can position attached images wherever you want to in a post by using the attachments button in the toolbar after you've uploaded them? This would assist in promoting linearity in your game guide, as the images could more precisely elaborate on whatever you're talking about that way.

4. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Thanks for teaching me how to insert images in posts exactly where I want them to be shown - that will make the game guide more sensical.

I should be honoured that you have asked me to create a regular conventional walkthrough for the latest version of the Circle of Eight Modpack NC for this superb computer game but writing prose aint my thang and I don't have the inclination to make one. I will gladly help with screenshots if I am able to though. Hopefully one or more other players will volunteer to create a conventional walkthrough. I nominate J'allan UlDragos (http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8932) and/or Irate Bard (http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8859) for the job. They are both talented writers (although Irate Bard doesn't seem to be around the forum these days).

I am content to just keep updating the game guide thread whenever other players post new information or ask questions that aren't already answered in the game guide thread.

Sorry. But thanks for asking me. Oh, and to reiterate wizgeorge's sentiment, I am also very keen and grateful for any new content that the Circle of Eight team add to the Modpack in future.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  5. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

I don't have anything more profound to add than to say "damn."

This is quite the epic work you've put together gazra. Nicely done.

6. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I know the game guide is a WiP, but would you be able to make a PDF of it for download? You wouldnt have to update the pdf constantly, like 1 time every month or so. It would be nice to have an offline keepable version though.

Keep up the great work :D

7. Gaear

gazra, why do you say that Heroes Feast doesn't work? I just tested it and it seemed to work fine.

8. WinstonShnozwick

Since I got Heroes feast on my cleric, I've been using it often before battles. It works fine to me, and wears off from break enchantment or sleeping.

9. gazra_1971

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  10. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

If Gazra and Gaear are ok with this suggestion I can do the conversion rather easily. I have the Adobe software to create and edit .pdf from pretty much any source. None of that cheesy word conversions here.

Let me know.

11. Gaear

Don't know - I was mainly checking to see if it fired at all and did anything, which it did. I didn't verify that it does everything it claims to. I was directed to this by verifying recently that Warp Wood doesn't work at all, which is moreso what I think of as a spell not working, as opposed to partially working or what have you.

12. gazra_1971

Dreddnawt, feel free to create a PDF of the Game Guide sticky thread. I'm not planning to make a PDF of the Game Guide because I don't know how to and I am still adding to and updating the Game Guide.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  13. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

Should there be a note in NPC section that if you meet Zaxis but leave the map without ever talking with him he will be gone for good? Same goes with Ikarias and his buch I guess.

14. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

According to the SRD you have to wait an hour after the spell is cast for it to take effect, is this also the case in TOEE?

Here's what the SRD says;

Heroes’ Feast
    Conjuration (Creation)
    Level: Brd 6, Clr 6
    Components: V, S, DF
    Casting Time: 10 minutes
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Effect: Feast for one creature/level
    Duration: 1 hour plus 12 hours; see text
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

You bring forth a great feast, including a magnificent table, chairs, service, and food and drink. The feast takes 1 hour to consume, and the beneficial effects do not set in until this hour is over. Every creature partaking of the feast is cured of all diseases, sickness, and nausea; becomes immune to poison for 12 hours; and gains 1d8 temporary hit points +1 point per two caster levels (maximum +10) after imbibing the nectar-like beverage that is part of the feast. The ambrosial food that is consumed grants each creature that partakes a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and Will saves and immunity to fear effects for 12 hours.

If the feast is interrupted for any reason, the spell is ruined and all effects of the spell are negated.

15. WinstonShnozwick

I just fought Zuggy and Heroes Feast indeed does not work. It didn't protect against her fear at all (very very rage inducing to keep getting feared). Please fix it if you can, there needs to be some way to combat fear!

Our Host!