South Hommlet CTD/Visual Glitch

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by zsionic, Jan 11, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. zsionic

zsionic Member

Whenever I enter South Hommlet 90% of the time I get a visual glitch (Parts of the previous screen are overlayed in a certain area, the signpost is messed up). It usually goes away when I scroll elsewhere and then scroll back. Lately, I've been CTD if I save and load in the area infront of the tavern. If I arrive at east or north hommlet and walk to south hommlet then save, it loads perfectly. Any clue why this is happening? (CTDs have been more frequent if I travel directly from the temple, in fact the only way I got into hommlet again was through moathouse first). The game's great, fun, but the increase in crashes have been frustrating lately. (I followed the instructions, didn't autosave, use 5 separate saves, etc.)

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, 1366x768 resolution, 6gig RAM, intel integrated graphics on laptop

I supplied a screenshot, I've had this visual glitch even from a brand new install, it's my first time playing too, I've been ignoring it mostly, but if there's any way to fix it, any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Your screenshot shows some tiles from the Moathouse minimap on the bottom (in addition to black tiles). Weird. The only thing I can suggest is that your resolution seems very unusual so you may want to try a more 'normal' one - 1024 x 768 or something.

3. zsionic

zsionic Member

It actually shows whatever screen was from before ( I traveled from the moathouse, that's why the moathouse map shows). I can actually walk over the black/glitched up areas no problem, It's like the actual texture is screwed up. Same with the Tavern signpost.

Update: I changed to 1024x768. Works fine now, but I miss the widescreen : (

Confirmed that 1366x768 is a little screwy.

4. zsionic

zsionic Member

UPDATE: Temp Fix for Corrupted Saves

Due to really early console usage I've managed to corrupt my saves. But I've figured out how to continue since I'm not willing to give up my game yet. (Should I restart though? Cause the solution is really tiresome)

If you make a new save for every single area transition you do (from upstairs to downstairs, indoors to outdoors, from outdoors to random encounter, from encounter to next location, etc) You can actually slowly trudge through the game without your future saves being unloadable.

Hope this is of use to people. Back to trying to finish my first ever run of ToEE.

5. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

^ Console use is the number way to kill your game.

The Bad News is it will only get worse as you progress. You can attempt to "trudge through" as you say, but eventually those saves will very likely be unplayable. Best to start over now and save yourself the headache of hitting the wall later.

The Good News is that you know now the danger of console use. And can avoid that mistake in the future. You be best served to avoid using it altogether. Even the mods here will tell you that console use voids their ability to recover your game. Youll have to start fresh.

If you absolutely unequivocally positively MUST use the console, I advise you find a safe and empty room that you wont be visiting and is off the main map somewhere and very carefully enter each command. Any bad commands you enter are prone to only corrupting the local map they were entered on.

Such as typing Give ### where "###" is an invalid item number. That causes the game to search for this invalid item every time you access that map which corrupts your game more every time you visit that location. The CTDs normally dont start right away so dont think a lack of immediate CTD means everything worked perfectly, the problems usually appear later as you play and move around more.

Think I got that all correct, Gaear?

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Pretty much. Specifically though, an invalid proto will immediately and always CTD your game any time you try to go to the map where it was inputted. That part's not gradual. What makes the effect seem gradual is that inputting an invalid proto will not CTD your game immediately on that map, only after you try to re-enter it (which is when the game tries to load all assets for the map). What might happen is something like this:

1. You input the bad proto.
    2. You forget about it.
    3. You don't go back to that map for a while.
    4. Eventually you do back and get a seemingly random CTD, but it's really not random. It's the bad proto you inputted last Thursday.
    5. You blame Co8 for being a bunch of lazy no accounts who can't even make a stable mod. ;)
    6. You blame Troika for being a bunch of shoddy coders who can't even make a stable game. ;)
    7. You tell friends and family to avoid ToEE and Co8 because they totally suck because you got 'random' crashes. ;)
    All that said, using the console doesn't have to mean danger if you use it carefully and responsibly. It's just that we can't know what you did and where and when, so we can't provide support for it.

This is also not to say that the game doesn't suffer from other instability issues, some of which may require some ... hardcore ... decision-making eventually to try to curb. So CTDS don't automatically = bad console use. I suspect now that there may be issues with protos and/or scripting that the game itself introduces, particularly as regards crafted items.

Our Host!