Activating the console?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by r0gershrubber, Jan 8, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. r0gershrubber

r0gershrubber Member

I'm having some trouble activating the console, but the directions seem so simple that I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. I opened the properties for the shortcut that I use to run TOEE, and I've modified the target field to read:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Temple of Elemental Evil\toee.exe" -console

After opening the game I try to open the console using SHIFT ~

Any clue what I am doing wrong? Is there a common mistake I may be overlooking?

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Could be trouble with your keyboard layout, or with the driver the keyboard is using. Have you had trouble using the tilde key in any other games?

3. r0gershrubber

r0gershrubber Member

I've never had problems with tilde before. In the Craft Arms and Armor interface I can type ~, so I'm not sure that that's the issue.

A response on gamefaqs.com suggests that it the console might not work immediately after installing patch 2. No clue if that's relevant.

4. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

On my UK Dell keyboard I have to use "shift" and the key between ESC and Tab on the left hand side of the keyboard (the key immediately to the left of 1 , with a right-angle on it) to summon the console.

I think I deduced this from previous experience with Icewind Dale

5. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

That is the location of the tilde on a US keyboard, so if you use a non-US board maybe the location of the key is more important than it actually being the ~...

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Since it seems that you're using the GOG version, you shouldn't be needing the patch anyway as it's pre-patched.

I remember when I had this problem I had to go to the device manager and change the keyboard driver. I wish I remembered what and how, but hopefully that gives you a lead on what to look for...

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I don't know that you really need to do that.

8. r0gershrubber

r0gershrubber Member

Yeah, I didn't think I would, but the console has never worked. I did some searches and saw that -console bit, so I thought that must be the missing element.

I have also tried rebooting and starting a new game, but neither helped. One place suggested playing some more and then it might start working suddenly, so I will try that.

The main reason I want to use the console is to adjust hp. I prefer to take average HP at each level, but that option is not available in the front-end. I think it should exist as an option though. It's really obnoxious when your barbarian has less hp than your bard. (For RPGA campaigns in D&D3.x, the standard rule was half of the HD +1, so 7 hp per level for a d12. If you're looking for a WotC-approved standard for an average HP option, that is what I would recommend implementing.)

Our Host!