Stats enhancing items?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by deuxhero, Dec 31, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. deuxhero

deuxhero Member

I notice ToEE only has some odd +dex gloves and a single +cha cloak (may have grabbed it off NC) found/bought, every other +stat is absent and must be crafted. There may be some in Verbonc, but I didn't get there in a NC play yet (stuck at Arena in current, see topic) and given how the d20 systems "balance" intended the PCs to have them (and really, this punishes Melee, who can't hit consistently, worse than magic), has the team considered adding some +2 or +4 items in various places (merchants and "bosses", replacing the excessive and pointless jewelry they have)?

Suggestions

Temple troop commanders carry +str and +con items
    Temple priests have +wis
    Sell at the herb shop/church?

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

IIRC, the general idea right now is to balance the game in the direction AWAY from uber loot, not the other way round. In vanilla TOEE you had to go through the game with stat boosters being even more sparse - and IIRC no crafting of +6 stat items either. And the game was still quite playable. So I'm not so sure about the "balance intends you to have all +6 stat items" thing.

But yes, you might be able to buy them in Verbo depending on how you handle a certain fight in the Temple.

3. grinner666

grinner666 Member

My opinion? Live with it. Any player who won't take crafting feats just won't do as well as somebody who will take them. And in my opinion, he doesn't deserve to.

Seriously: it takes two feats to turn your party from sometimes-okay to always-kick-ass: Craft Wondrous Item and Craft Magic Arms & Armor. Those two feats, plus a relatively minor XP cost, will make a party that will kick the living snot out of the lower levels of the Temple, and never make your spellcasters lose more than a single encounter's worth of experience.

Live with the tradeoff, and quit trying to sleaze extra magic items out of the game.

4. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

I always thought that you could do +6 items in the original game. Maybe I remember incorrectly then.

+6 Strength gloves are used by Hedrack. Always wondered if that was to be changed or stay that way.

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ Maybe you're right about that. I know that MY vanilla back in the day always crashed when I tried to bring up any crafting feat window, so I never used them on the first few playthroughs.

6. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I think you have to be level 12 to make +6 items, so they could not be made with the original level cap.

7. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi GG
    I'm afraid you are incorrect. I just checked my Crafting Chart, and all you need is a 3rd Level Cleric, Druid, whatever.... (OK 10th Level Paladin) with enough extra Experience Points and plenty of Gold kicking around to Craft +6 stat boosters. I just checked some saves from my most recent party, and confirmed that the party had crafted 3 Amulets of Wisdom +6 for the Meleny (Monk / Druid 2 / 5), Rath ( Monk / Cleric 2 / 5 ) and Silence ( Monk / Wizard 2 / 5) at some point before reaching 7th Level.
    The Royal Canadian

Our Host!