Installation problems: CO8 7 with GOG.com install, Win7

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by r0gershrubber, Dec 20, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. r0gershrubber

r0gershrubber Member

I'm having some issues installing CO8 7.

COG version of TOEE, purchased today.
    CO8 7 NC, downloaded today.
    I am running McAfee Internet Security.
    The operating system is Windows 7 Pro 64.

I've followed the installation instructions.
    I installed TOEE in the default folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Temple of Elemental Evil\
    While installing CO8 (manually pointing it to the above folder, running install as administrator) I almost immediately get the following error:

Immediately after this I get a message from McAfee identifying the file as a trojan.

I haven't been able to set the TOEE.exe file to be ignored by McAfee.

Suggestions?

Edit: I have tried reinstalling logged in as the Administrator, and specifying that both the TOEE and CO8 installs are run "as administrator" just to make sure. Same error.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. r0gershrubber

r0gershrubber Member

It looks like I was able to circumvent the issue by temporarily disabling McAfee's real time scanning.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

McAfee is known to not play nice with ToEE. Please see the link in my sig for more info.

4. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

McAffee suxxors the hardest where AV is concerned. AVG, Avira, and Trend Micro are crap also. Get Norton Antivirus from amazon for ten bucks and call it a day.

5. r0gershrubber

r0gershrubber Member

My roommate used to have a subscription to PC magazine and PCWorld, which reviewed each years crop of AV software. In short, it fluctuates from year to year which is the best, and even the reviewers can't agree.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/381521/what_best_antivirus_software_/?pp=2

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

I usually watch for deals where I can get AV software for free after a mail in rebate. I just ordered a 3 pack of Kapersky for free after a mail in rebate from newegg (offer good until the 12/28). I haven't paid for AV software in 8 years, although part of that period I had university provided software. (I really don't understand this business model. Are they assuming that I won't send in the rebate? That I will be lazy and just pay an exorbitant fee after one year to continue?)

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

AVG is free and it will allow you to edit the exempt list.
    I had Mcafee and sacrificed my year's subscription and loaded AVG, after using the free version for a few months I bought the complete AVG package and I like the assortment of tools it gives me.

It's worth a look IMHO. Here's a link Click for AVG site

7. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

I had the very same problem. This resolved the issue for me. Thank you for sharing.

8. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

Antivirus Options

Just FYI....

I run a computer repair business and am an A+ and Net+ certified tech with a Network Engineering degree. My job is to build and maintain computer networks for medical practices and hospitals. We also offer services for single instance repairs, PC/Laptop tune ups, and virus removals. So I see and fix infected computers daily.

I say, without bias, that Norton is hands down the best AV. I see computers that were "protected" by Avira, AVG, and Trend Micro regularly. The problem with these isnt that the product or scanners are faulty, but that they dont get real time definitions like the bigwigs who try to stay as close to zero day identification as possible. These freeware AVs are often weeks or even months behind the curve.

McAffee is also one that gets hit often and is rated as the "Most Highjacked" AV on the market, meaning viruses tend to bypass its security and then actually turn McAffee against you. This normally requires rewriting McAffee registry files to correct or just uninstalling it completely. MA is also a pita in my opinion to work with and will more often then not block things you want to use and spam you with alert popups.

Kapspersky is actually a good one that keeps definitions current and works to identify new threats. Kaspersky also has some really great tools associated with it for recovery options when it fails and your computer is completely corrupted. Me, Id rather not reach that point but as a technician those features have come in handy. Overall, I would rate Kaspersky as #2.

Symantec Norton is the best rated on the market by all credible sources and has been for years. Norton products have shown their worth since the 80s. I have no affiliation with Symantec yet I push their product to all my clients. What you need from them is "Antivirus," the suites, security, and 360 are just fluff most people never use. Ive seen rare cases of Symantec still getting infected, though that is not often and usually stems from the user bypassing warnings and actively downloading a bad file. Of the Symantec lineup, Symantec Endpoint Protection is what I see get infected the most. Their other products are quite a surprise to see in my shop.

Now you know. =)

Our Host!