Co8 New Content: Verbobonc

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Jkenas

Jkenas Member

Turning "ghost" breaks quest and rest

Hello there, just played Toee for the first time (6.1 NC). As an old table-top DnD gamer, I truly have had a blast with this game. Been able to work through most quirks in the game, but Iam about ready to destroy orb and end game and have 1 annoying problem id love to solve. I can't rest in my own castle! During the night (not an attack from ghost during night) I went to 3rd floor, saw an undead entity moving about and so naturally my cleric of pelor did what he was made to do, turn undead, greater turningingi n fact. Took care of the ghost ever showing up again(yay right?) but um, wait, my rest button went from bad (yellow) to worse (red).....FOREVER. I since did all the other verbo quests including traders (12 attempts withlvl 13 party), is there a file i can edit to make the ghost "show up" again so I can "hit him" and begin dialogue (My cleric says this with disdain) or simply make it so I can rest in my own frikkin home? I have also never been able to initiate any dialogue with silver consortium or anyone else about it being "haunted" Any suggestions appreciated, but turning an undead shouldn't cause this scenario imo...

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Has the ghost quest been removed/changed? I bought the castle in Verbo, but it's green tent...

EDIT: Also, is there a way to access the teleport tower quickly? It's a loooong walk through the castle...

3. biobaba

biobaba Member

I can't seem to trigger Monster Monster Mash when taling to the priest in the Pelor Church. He doesnt seem to have to option for me to look for the Hextors. I

Also in the Hextor temple I noticed that the chief priest (forgot his name) is no longer there and as a result I am unable to trigger 'Contract on Canon Thaddeus quest through conversation

I remember back in 6.x NC I could get both of these quest by just talking to the preist in the respective church.

In addition, Masterfireforge said he would come to my castle after getting to tool, but he never showed up no matter how long the time has passed

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No. Did you get attacked by Turuko and Co. at the Moathouse? Also, you could check the status of variable 765:

Code:
    game.global_vars[765] *enter*
    0 means it was never set and castle resting is safe.

Nope.

You have to have met the Hextorite priest, and he can't be dead.

You have to get access to him via the acolyte upstairs.

Are you sure? He's supposed to be outside by one of the small outbuildings. He's only there by day.

5. biobaba

biobaba Member

Thank you for clearing things out a bit. For Master Fireforge I found him outside my castle. Before when i didn't know where he was and I checked back in Hommlet's Welcome Wench 2nd floor and he was still there.

I think it would be better to make him gone from Hommlet after he agrees on joining up with you.

As for the Haunted Castle (Ghost Quest) quest I am also not encountering it. (I did ambushed by Turuko and his friends and killed them all)

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Gives a 0. Should I just change it to 1 for now to access the quest? I did have the battle btw, and smited the Co. without mercy.

Then may I suggest adding the location to the signpost in the future? :D

I managed to trigger it AFTER killing the Hextorite priest...

7. Gaear

Yeah, you could do that.

Code:
    game.global_vars[765] = 1 *enter*
    I don't know, maybe. I'm reluctant to automate the game entirely. Sometimes you just have to walk places.

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, if the tower is supposed to be a utility commodity that comes with the castle, then making it inaccessible sort of defeats the point. I'd rather have the sandalwood box back (and I'm guilty of consoling it in on occasion...)

9. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

I must say the Hexorite fight was a stroke of genius. Had so much fun with that one I restarted it and kept the evil priests alive (even healed one) just for kicks. Thought there might be a limit to what they could conjure, but not one I saw.

Retried Slavers a few times, but that was because 'someone' kept killing the kids. Also found Mords Sword summons to fill your group tend to 'take one for the team' in the prelude unpleasantness.

I think the NC is better then the whole original game.

10. Gaear

Inaccessible? You have to do like three map changes with ten steps between each.

You're going to love the Rabbit Hole. :p

They will run out of spells eventually and just whack you with their canes.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it. :thumbsup:

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

What can I say, Co8 made me lazy; if there's a faster option, I'll take it - and there are several, like Helm of Teleport and Orb of the Moons. It's a great idea, but seems rather out-of-the-way for a fast-travel option. Not that TOEE really needs one, since the map is quite small (unlike, say Arcanum, where the teleportation room was a godsend), but still.

I did get a kick out of the secret passage to the Hextorite lair though.

12. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

Quick question:
    My Castle of the Lords in Verbo (v6.1.0) looks nothing like the pics in the first post here and I had no idea there was a teleport room. My castle looks like a barracks with chests on the walls, all the floors are rectangular, and the only thing on the top floor was a ghost. There something Im missing?

13. Gaear

The new castle (with portals) only became available with v7.

14. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Problems with prison fugatives

Before 7.0 NC was released I was playing Verbobonc with an NG party led by a "pure" Pal10 who was deeply affected by Kent calling him a knight at level 1...

I wander into Spruce Goose on hunt for Gunter Gladstone and obviously the paladin walks up and challenges Gunter; clearly trading a fairly successful mass murderer for a very successful one is not to be continenced so combat ensues

Good reputation and official warrant count for nought and all pub goes KOS, rabid jackal decapitates patron and bang goes paladinhood.

After reloading I use dominate person spell and walk Gunter into the jailhouse, whereupon the spell and quest fail as Gunter runs off.

By the time I got my first 7.0NC party to the same situation I had investigated the devious methods espoused on the Co8 site:

I followed this unethical approach:

Squeeze everyone into small room
    Talk to Gunter
    Attack
    Cast dominate person
    walk Gunter to castle
    Attack in private room
    Use wizard rapier to ensure Gunter reaches -1 to -9 hps
    Return to prison with unconscious but alive Gunter to complete quest

This all appeared to work so I practised the same on Kendrew with following adjustments

I cast dominate person during day with Spugnoir downstairs

and I then teleported party to Nulb, knocked Kendrew unconscious in our house and walked back to jail in Verbobonc - quest completed

Unfortunately after sleeping for 8 hours I walked back to Hommlet and found a badly injured but very much free Kendrew upstairs in The Wench!

I was able to repeat the arrest and quest two further times until I got bored and killed the fiend in the Nulb shack.

The quest is scripted as if you can legitmately capture these fiends alive but how???

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  15. Gaear

They're not supposed to do that, but unfortunately controlling aggro behavior has proved to be one of the most problematic and inconsistent things about ToEE. It basically does whatever it wants willy-nilly - works sometimes, other times not.

There was never any accounting made for dominated NPCs, sorry. If you show up at the jail with any of those guys conscious, it's currently assumed that:

1. They joined your party willfully and are thus not prisoners (ToEE actually has no prisoner-taking functionality, which is why anytime you're asked to go arrest someone, it always ends up being a fight)
    2. They think you are bringing them to jail to turn them in.
    3. They don't like that.
    So acting in their best self-interest, they flee.

As you've figured out, you can turn them in by knocking them unconscious first. That didn't used to be the case.

The problem of NPCs returning to their home map is a longstanding one in ToEE. You can actually find the fugitives' bodies back on their home maps if you kill them. Fixing that whole defect will require some doing beyond scripting, as it's a core function (apparently) for NPCs to return to their home maps. Basically you'd have to give them a home map in a dead area that no one ever goes to and use the day/night standpoint process to put them on the maps where you actually find them in-game. That way when they die or wake up or whatever and 'go home,' they'll be stuck in some dead zone where the player will never see them.

Our Host!