Secret Passage missing in D3 (spoiler)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Dreddnawt, Dec 4, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

Possibly Sharing and Requesting Spoilers: you are warned.

[​IMG]

Ive been looking for the secret passage shown at #20. Wanted to find out if I was doing something wrong or if I was bugged.

I originally came in through the tower entrance to the secret tunnel then confronted Falrinth and the Smeegel (or whatever). I found you-know-what but nothing else interesting. Now as Im exploring greater Dungeon 3 I found a secret passage that opens up in the floor at the #20 just below #1. But there is no Blue Icon to travel through it.

So I checked the sorc.net info and see there should be a tunnel there.

Thinking I just didnt open the other end properly, and knowing I never found another end even though I did search, I went back through the tower and down to Falrinths area. I looked all over where the map indicates using a character with 16 Search skill being assisted by another with 11. I also used a couple scrolls of Detect Secret Doors and still found nothing. Real funny thing is though, they now cant even find, nor open, the secret door behind Falrinth even though my Elf spotted it right away the first time.

My question: Is there some twisted trick to finding and opening this passage aside from actively Searching the area pixel by pixel while using spelled enhancements or am I just bugged and should forget about this altogether?

Thanks in advance.

2. kio11

kio11 Established Member

should be able to find it. its just at the end of the original corridor before you make the left turn for the falriths room. but this happens to me sometimes also. i gave up trying to search for moathouse secret passages for example as they became a total chaos for me. btw maybe you can try just running trough the falriths secret cave as if the door is not there, and when your party gets stuck right in front of it, press search. maybe helps.

3. random1

random1 Member

The secret door bug also happened to me.

After I killed Falrinth I saved the game, entered the detected door, but because I had no inventory space I left the room and (without no reason at all for it) I reloaded the game. And the door was no longer detectable.

About your question, I really didn't understood what you are asking for.
    The secret passage connecting the locations marked by number 20 in the map worked fine for me without any problems.
    But when you say
    you lost me.
    Do you mean the stair up at location #1?

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

See 'known issues' in post 1 of the link in my sig.

5. random1

random1 Member

In my case, regarding Falrinth, what I did was to reload an even previous saved game and it worked.

6. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

I was referring to the #20 shown on the map directly below where #1 is marked. That being the right, or eastern, #20 of the pair. I didnt know they were connected until I checked the map on sorc.net. My first clue was the sliding floor tile I found that leads nowhere in my game.

But thanks for the answers all. Its a known bug means I can work around it. Im far enough past that point to not want to go back to fix it. I was thinking there was something I missed like a secret trigger that opens the passage. In the moathouse I found the secret passage but couldnt use it until I reached and opened the bottom door. But by Falrinth I cant find anything, not even the door I already went through to find the orb.

Maybe its because I came at it all backward. And I am pretty sure I did save and exit the game just after looting that chest.

7. Gaear

I suspect that this bug is related to something I discovered in testing some time back: a secret door can't be added to a game and then detected from an existing save; you have to start a new game for it to function, rather like how NPC day/night standpoints won't function properly if modded without starting a new game. This makes me think that somehow the game 'draws' secret doors dynamically (which may make sense because all portals in ToEE, oddly enough, are actually scenery objects :eek:_O: ), and that possibly once they get 'missed' (failed spot or search) and that fact is saved into a save game routine, they are no longer drawn and are gone for good as far as the game is concerned. That would also explain the 'destroy all your saves and start a new game' solution. (At least the new game part.)

btw, there are 3 #1s in the pic. ;)

8. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

3 #1's, I missed that. My bad. =)

9. Alporik

Alporik Member

Wow. This is a painful problem. I played a game until I reached Falrinth and realized I could not finish because I can't get through the secret door to the chest with the golden skull. Based on your advice in the "Known Issues" I take it I have to delete all saves, including saves that have nothing to do with the group having the problem. Is that correct?

Just thought I would check before making such a drastic move. Can I move the save files?

10. Gaear

Yes, the traditional fix for this is to delete all saves. Once the bug happens, it seems to affect all of them. However, you don't really have to go that route if you don't want to, as secret doors are actually not that big a deal in ToEE. You could look in the console commands thread and just teleport to the place(s) you want to be via console instead.

11. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Circle of Eight forum member Sitra Achara has previously stated that you may still be able to get the Orb of Golden Death by using the spell Clairvoyance (to unveil the hidden area behind Falrinth's secret door) and the spell Dimension Door to transport one of your party's characters to Falrinth's secret room (behind the secret door) to access Falrinth's second treasure chest. Hope this helps.

12. Alporik

Alporik Member

Not a big console user, but clairvoyance + dimension door is a great idea. I will try it!

Our Host!