Improving ToEE's User Interface

Discussion in 'Community Projects' started by Gaear, Oct 27, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

With Arial 10, four lines is all that can fit in the largest mini box. But you can put enough text for 10 lines in a dialog file if you want; it will just go up over the bounding box. Nothing stops that from happening in-game.

I assume the game would need to call a fourth, larger mini box to fit more text, but there is no such box.

Interestingly the game sizes the dialog history box on the fly. No such luck on the minis.

I don't think so ... this should be a wholesale conversion or it will look shoddy and sort of half-assed. (It might be different if we added other cool-looking fonts, but Priory and Arial go together like oil and water. Stylish D&D vs. cat scan results.) I don't believe in doing this stuff half way, because half way is just that. Besides, that example is just one of no doubt many. We can't shy away from them all.

2. random1

random1 Member

That was what I wanted to know.
    And as it was suspected, with Priory 12 it has grown to 5 lines.

Yeah, it uses a completely different mechanism by using the scroll box.

I was finally able to solve this issue.
    You guys have no idea the trouble this was.
    The funny part about this type of reverse engineering process is that after you're able to crack it, it just looks as if it was something "obvious from the start for dummies".
    There is a catch however!
    From the 3 mini dialog boxes we originally had with ToEE using Arial 10, there is now only 1.
    Although I suspect, with my current understanding, it could be made to look better (but I've also had some surprises so...). But I'm kind of drained out with all this so...
    An "advantage" of having just one dlg box is that it could be nicely "themed" (mmm... BTW, someone at the codex should kick Surf Solar's lazy ass :) about the background and the "dialog skills" icons)
    OTOH with the current font colors, IMO it may even be better to keep the current background. But the "dialog skills" icons do really need to be improved, and with Priory being bigger I think those icons can be bigger as well.

[​IMG]

Feel free to thank me by bringing Kelly Hu to my chambers :pelvicthr

Gaer, how is the UI editing going? :poke:
    What is the current status?

3. Gaear

Cool, I'm sending Kelly Hu over now. ;)

I'm curious though - what box are we using now? I don't particularly care that there's only one size ... it may have actually been better that way from the outset, tbh.

The UI stuff is going slowly. The alignments UI turned out fine, but now the party pool is problematic. Got everything sorted there but the height of the long horizontal boxes that PCs are listed in (and their associated highlight boxes). With Priory-12, the text runs out of the boxes. I can re-draw them because they're just part of the background, but the highlight boxes aren't, and there are no .mes files to control positioning of the text (to bump it up, etc.). It's maddening that there are some things you can control as far as this goes and others you can't, and there's no telling which you're going to get with any given UI. :blegh:

Anyway, I will persevere, but it may take a while.

p.s. - is there anywhere in the .dll (should you feel like looking) that controls the number of portrait boxes displayed on the bottom of the party pool UI? We've long been able to have 8 PCs, but never more than five boxes displayed during party creation. Would be kind of cool if we could add three more.

[edit]

Here's an example of a typical trial - the saga of the alignment UI.

First, we see that with Priory-12, text runs out of the boxes in some instances:

box1.jpg

So we enlarge the boxes, but we can't enlarge the buttons. Looks a bit goofy:

box2.jpg

So using evil transparency ;), we fade the buttons out on their edges and it looks okay again:

box3.jpg

4. random1

random1 Member

Patching process:
    - go to location 14C16F in the dll file
    - replace 8B442408 with 33C09090
    - go to location 14C1CB in the dll file
    - replace 8D416D83C17E with 8D413B83C14D
    - extract the files in the rar (attached in post) to \Temple of Elemental Evil\data\art\interface\DIALOG\

EDIT:
    One that I made.
    If there isn't any file with that, then it must be on the dll somewhere. But why would you want to do that? I'm using a party of 6 and I think that's basically the maximum reasonable limit, otherwise it will probably be a pain in the ass when trying to leave small rooms with everyone else blocking the way.
    How was this done? Config files or dll hack?

Attached Files:

5. Gaear

Pretty sure that was a .dll hack. IIRC from Agetian it gets done with each instance of altering the configuration, which is why your .dll may oftentimes have a very modern modified date.

I'm talking about start of the game (same thing as above), when you add PCs to your party. Vanilla ToEE allowed five, hence there were 5 'empty' portrait boxes to fill during party creation. Now we can have up to eight, but still only five empty portrait boxes until you get into the game. I can't find any .mes control for that anywhere (not surprisingly).

p.s. - new box works great. :thumbsup:

6. random1

random1 Member

Gaer, I've looked into this but the result was very frustrating.
    I spent quite some time on this as I kept having a better understanding of what's going on and felt I was closer to fix it, but in the end I was not able to correct this issue.
    ToEE uses a data structure for each (rendered) texture that among other things includes a ptr to the function that will render it. So for the portrait frames we have 5 similar data structures... which means simply increasing the counters didn't solve anything. The problem was that when I tried to use a bigger structure there were still some unknown loose ends that resulted in a crash.
    Sorry but we'll be stuck with a max of 5 portraits...

However not all is lost and I did a minor improvement and fixing regarding the number of portraits. I can limit the number of portraits to the number of PCs selected in the ToEE frontend. And the add button will be disabled when you reach that limit as well (currently it allows you click add infinitely and add all possible characters to your party).
    To add this fix you'll need to update the ToEE frontend to also write the number of PCs (one single byte!) to the following addresses:
    16327A
    (since you told me that ToEE-X already does this, it will be straightforward to do this as well)
    You'll also need to patch the DLL:
    - go to location 165612
    - patch with 833D001EE7110074316A07EB1F
    - go to location 16563C
    - patch with EBD4

Let me know if it works ok!

EDIT:
    Just to be clear, you have fixed the PCs party pool boxes, but the highlight boxes are still broken. Is that it?
    I may take a look at that... but I can't say when...

EDIT2:
    Gaer can you tell me which inventory related file did you edit the text labels?
    I copied your files but there are still a couple of "glitches". Because "total weight", "primary", "offhand" and others are capitalized the text gets drops to the next label place.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  7. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

So with the release approaching; What is the final official stance on the ui changes? Boxes, background or gone? Text, fully implemented or still unfinished?

8. Gaear

As of right now I'm going to say the far greater likelihood is that there will be no UI updates in v7. I haven't been able to devote much time to it lately, and it's still drastically unfinished and in need of a lot more time consuming work. v7's release date is set in stone, so that's that.

This means that the updated UI will likely be delivered in one of three ways sometime in the future:

1. it may appear in an update to v7 somewhere down the line (the inevitable 7.1.0 or whatever)
    2. it may not appear until v8 in what will likely be late 2012
    3. it may be delivered as an optional package (unlikely because it would pretty much have to be an add-on module, which would preclude the existence of any other add-on modules since you can only have one installed at a time)
    random1 fixed the dialog box size issue so there will still be boxes. Whether the boxes have illustrated/textured backgrounds remains to be seen.

@random, sorry I didn't reply sooner ...

I guess I'm still not really following you; what if there are 8 PCs selected in front end?

What I did specifically is change the background .tga so the frames for the boxes are enlarged and contain the larger text. This is simply cosmetic. What doesn't work is the boxes themselves, which are apparently dynamic. If need be I can post some images to illustrate the issue.

Hm, that's not the case in my set up so either I left something out in that group of files or you've got something modded on your end that is overriding my stuff.

9. random1

random1 Member

No problem Gaer.

No can do. I can't get _more_ than 5 portrait frames in the party creation menu.
    What I can is to have less than 5, if that was selected in the front-end (assuming you are able to update front-end code). It would look better that way I guess.
    I also fixed the bug which allowed you to keep adding characters as the add button could always be clicked (again, assuming you are able to update front-end code). Currently, depending on the alignment, you could keep adding characters up to 9 or 10 times.

That would be better. Thanks.

BTW, FWIW if the UI upgrade can't be in v7 I would prefer for it to be in the 7.1.0 fix, as opposed to it being delayed until late 2012.

10. random1

random1 Member

Gaer, could you post that pic?

I may be able to look into it during this weekend.

11. Gaear

Okay, here is the party pool background image. Anything you don't see here gets drawn in separately. When using Priory-12, the text runs over the bottom line of each PC box (the long horizontal boxes toward the left).

pool1.jpg

Here's the current look (my install is back to Arial-10 getting ready for v7 release). Imagine the alignment line of text going over the bottom bounding line of each box.

pool2.jpg

Now, if I wanted to, I could eliminate the horizontal boxes entirely, and text being drawn over them would no longer be an issue. Or I could simply enlarge them.

pool3.jpg

However, the highlight box you see here can't be resized accordingly via .mes files. So things might look okay as long as you don't click anybody, but when you do, the highlight box is drawn to the previous dimensions.

pool4.jpg

What would be a neat fix for this is if we could simply reduce each instance of character text to three lines.

e.g. change

Code:
    Gimble - Not in Party
    Male Gnome
    Bard
    Chaotic Neutral
    to

Code:
    Gimble - Not in Party
    Male Gnome
    Chaotic Neutral Bard
    or something like that.

Three lines of Priory-12 fits in nicely in those boxes.

12. Gaear

@r1, what I'm thinking of doing after v7 in 2012 is releasing multiple updates in sequence again (like with the 5.6 - 5.9 series, only not betas) so that we're not all waiting around for a year to get the stuff that remains to be done. The frequent release model with lesser sustainable goals is generally an effective model as opposed to less frequent monolithic releases (like v7). To that end, we could make the new UI the first or second priority.

What I foresee is something like this:

• 7.1 | February 2012 | Primary v7 bug fix (because there will be bugs)
    • 7.2 | April 2012 | New UI
    • 7.3 | June 2012 | Comprehensive lag fix
    • 7.4 | August 2012 | Add in dolio's spells mod (and possibly any other larger efforts that may yet be done, such as if SA were to ever do Reactive Earth Temple)
    • 7.5 | October 2012 | Add in a community project I'm pondereing that adds a bunch of minor NPCs and their attendant quests, plots, and other vagaries to flesh out Verbobonc. (This was Marceror's idea.)
    • 8.0 | December 2012 | the mythical Co8 v8, where everything is polished, shined, and wrapped together in a bow. (There are still a bunch of other lesser things to be done - custom end slides, etc. If they haven't been tacked on before this, they would appear here.)
    Then we all retire. ;)

13. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Gaear, I like that plan. I understand and highly encourage that you need to take time to make everything work before releasing, and do not want to rush anything to get a half good product sooner. The minor releases one after another sounds perfect. After all, I'll be too busy playing through a few saves when v7 is released to worry about the UI. :) It's really great what you guys have done for this game. The final version sounds like the perfection this game should have been from the start. It's certainly something I would pay 30+ dollars for at the store. Great work.

By the way, will you be integrating Edwin P's mods? I remember he was posting threads a while back and you asked about it. Also, what are his mods that would go into the modpack, I never was able to find them.

14. mwnn

mwnn Member

All these preview shots look superb.

Personally, I've always hoped that the spell choice screen linked directly to each spells extended description in the help file. (and in other such screens, inventory, etc)

A left click to get the spell description, right click to choose the spell - for example.

That and all the missing descriptions on items (ie shift-click) and in the help file.

The Forge Ring feat description is a funny one.

Alas it's probably a bridge too far.

15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

What!!?

You guys can't retire before giving us a better explanation of favored enemies for rangers when selecting this feat ...

ps, you guys are absolutely amazing, we as a player community can never thank you guys enough! :yes:

Our Host!