Questions about game ballance

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wened, Nov 22, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. wened

wened Member

Hello.

I remember playing TOEE when it was new. I was unable to win the game cause it was too buged and imbalanced (endgame especially). Im really happy that You decided to "fix" TOEE so people like me can have some fun with it again. I have some questions thou:

1. FRAGARACH & SCATHER - I remember that at some point it was possible to get an overpowered sword (or two) from an elven prince. It was ridicules as compared to other weapons (autohit!). Does Your mod remove or nerf this weapon? I might as well not use it at all (for game ballance) but it would be nicer to receive nerfed version of it (no goddamn autohit).

2. NO CRAFTING - I remember that it was hard to get good magic loot from enemies and i needed to craft most of my equipment. Does your mod add magic loot to the game so i could play it without crafting and still get some good items for my party?. And if so. How big is the difference compared to vanilla game? will i get +3 weapons of all kinds during endgame? It would suck to create a fighter specialized in shortswords or dwarven waraxes just to discover there are no endgame items of this kind :(

3. LEVELING - If i decide to play different size party instead of 5-man. Will that impact my leveling? lets say that in vanilla i would get 70xp per party member for something (70x5=350xp total). If i play 7 people party will i get only 50 xp per person? (350/7=50xp). Also, will smaller party progress faster?\

4. CRAFTING HOLY WEAPONS - Internet guides seem to contradict each other on this. To create holy weapon do i need good aligned cleric with "good" domain or is this domain unnecessary and only alignment counts?

5. LEVEL CAP - As i understand i can progress now beyond level 10 (avesome!)
    what level should i expect my party to be after finishing all the quests and killing all monsters?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

1. Yes they are still there, though they look different.

2. There is more magic loot. It is up to you whether you craft anyway.

3. Smaller parties DO get proportionately more experience for the same encounters.

4. You need Good domain to craft Holy.

5. It depends on a lot of different things, but many seem to end at around level 14 or so.

3. Azured

Azured Lethal but deadly.

Re: Questions about game balance

As both of these legendary swords are part of the original PnP adventure, they will probably be around as long as the game and modpack are. The weapons may be overpowered, but you also have the option whether you use them or not.

There are a lot of enhanced weapons as loot or available through purchase these days, but if you really want something special you probably will need to craft it yourself. I've sometimes used an external character that I bring in to the party and then level up via console commands to use as a crafter - I usually do it 2-3 times during the adventure to make equipment suitable for the power levels in question.

Yes, it will impact your leveling heavily. A party's power level takes into account both the amount of characters it has and the level they are in, so the calculations are not always as simple as one might think, but the game takes care of that - the main point is that smaller parties level up faster and get to higher levels than larger ones.

Crafting holy weapons requires the crafter to have the spell Holy Smite on their spell list. The spell is only available to clerics with the Good domain. See the D&D 3.5 SRD for details, as the game adheres to the rules very strictly regarding crafting.

As the number of characters, multiclassing, crafting and a lot of other factors influence the amount of XP you get during the adventure it is hard to give a definitive answer to this. I've had a four character party all reach level 20 during a full playthrough when I really did everything that was possible, did no crafting and looked actively for random encounters, but they usually end up on a level bit lower than that, maybe 18 +/-1 level. Parties with more characters usually end up a couple of levels (+/-1) lower than that per character added. It really depends a lot about the choices you make during the game.

4. onewolf

onewolf Member

Wait, you can add user-made party members mid game?

5. Azured

Yeah, sure. It's easy when you have a party with less than five members as you can just dismiss them through the same interface as adding them to the party.
    This is done via the Inn Guestbook, available e.g. in the Welcome Wench (Hommlet) and the Waterside Hostel (Nulb). It will open the party creation interface so that you can create new characters and add or remove them or previously generated ones to/from the party.
    If you have a bigger adventuring party, some consoling is required. Now, where did I put those console command sheets...

6. onewolf

onewolf Member

Dude, you rock. I had no idea about the Book.

I checked the stickied list of console commands in the modding forum but didn't see an entry that dealt with the party size issue. I do have a party of six so that is a hurdle I would have to overcome.

I'll see if I can Google the commands I need - now I only have to figure out which search terms to use =)

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Look under options in the upper right corner of the Front End to change the party size.

8. onewolf

onewolf Member

Ah, I see what you mean. Of course I already changed it to 6 to form my original party, I misunderstood Azured - for some reason I got the idea that having a party larger than 5 would cause an issue with the Book interface.

So if I decide to add a member for some reason I'll change the setting to 7 in the Frontend and be done!

Thanks!

9. Azured

Actually, you understood me just fine. The Book interface does not take into account the modifications to party size, so you only have the 5 first characters selectable in the interface. IIRC, you can add as many characters as you want, bearing in mind the set party size in the Front End, but when you finally want to get rid of your crafter character you have to do it via console or get them killed and then removed from the party (but that is rather... unimmersive IMHO).
    So the problem does not come from just party size, the Book interface is a slight issue here.

10. onewolf

onewolf Member

Gotcha.

I'd don't mind killing the crafter - as far as immersion goes, adding a crafter already breaks immersion a bit.

I don't actually plan on using a crafter, I just wanted to understand how in case I change my mind. I'm playing ToEE for the first time, so unless I get hopelessly stuck I intend to roll with whatever punches come my way. It's the same reason I didn't add weapon focus for strong items that it's been suggested I prepare for. If I find the item and can level enough to grab the feat, fine. If I can't use it, that's ok too.

Next game I'll make a proper power-gaming party, this time I'd like to struggle a bit =)

Our Host!