Spoiler request

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Hal900x, May 12, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

Hey, can I get a castle ghost spoiler? I've fought him in every floor, I think, at both day and night. Talked with most of Verbobonc.

2. florian1

florian1 Established Member

ghost spoiler

You need to find and physically attack the ghost on the upper level. Random encounter ghosts don't work. Go to the top floor, find the ghost (look for its shadow, or use combat targeting), and attack.

3. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

If you sleep anywhere in the castle, he appears. Is that the "random encounter" ghost? You are saying there is a static ghost always spawned at the top floor?

4. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Yes, there is ghost on the top floor you can find without resting. I don't think it's actually static - it moves around a bit. The ghosts that attack you when you rest are random encounter ghosts. They prevent you from ever getting a full 8 hour rest in your own castle until you deal with the ghost problem.

5. shadamier

shadamier Member

I can't find the ghost on the 3rd floor. I've waited until dark while outside, even until midnight, then entered the castle, went up 2 flights to the top room with the oval table, and cannot see him anywhere. I cast True Seeing and even enter combat and hit ALT to see threatened areas. Nothing. If I rest, I get attacked, but I can't see anyone there any time otherwise. Help!

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Were you ambushed by Turuko, Zert, and Kobort outside the Moathouse earlier on?

7. lantern48

lantern48 Member

I'm having the same problem.
    I even tried tossing fireballs all around the room to see if I caused damage to something.

Nothing I've tried -- or any of the suggestions here -- is working.

Do I need to speak to someone about the ghost first?
    Is there some requirement to making the ghost appear up there?

It seems pretty random, and I wasn't even aware of an invisible ghost up there until I read this thread. I did think it was weird that the castle I just bought won't let me rest in it, but unless I'm missing an interaction with a NPC about it, the whole ghost thing seems really poorly thought out.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. chano

chano Established Member

Lantern, did you read Gaears post?

Only time it has failed for me is when i had somehow missed the big 3 after killing lareth.

9. lantern48

lantern48 Member

Yes, I read his post.

That doesn't help me at all.
    And it doesn't answer any of my questions.

But let me ask you something else now: If I wasn't ambushed -- I was -- there'd be no way to rest in the castle I just paid a bagillion dollars for? Is that supposed to be Lareth's ghost haunting me? Is there any info about the ghost in the actual game anywhere?

And since my game is bugged, and I'll never get to fight the ghost, what else happens besides being able to rest in my castle?

10. Gaear

Settle down lantern48, this isn't the end of the world.

Firstly yes, it's a known bug that players who did not get ambushed outside the Moathouse still can't rest in the castle (the Moathouse ambush angle becomes obvious after you take care of all the ghost stuff, but I won't spoil it here). That will be fixed in the next release.

You don't need to speak to anyone about the ghost first.

The only requirement for the ghosts to appear is that you were ambushed at the Moathouse.

As to your critiques, why should there be any pre-supplied info about the ghosts anywhere? No one in particular knows about them, the reasons for which also become clear after you deal with them.

There will be avenues by which to gather additional information (some good, some not) about the ghosts in the next release as well. Generally the Co8 modpack is a WIP; we're not like a gaming house that releases a game and moves onto the next thing. (Jobs, real life, etc. tend to intefere with that.) We do largely depend on community feedback for bugtesting ... there's pretty much no alternative to that.

As to the mod itself, the majority of player feedback has been positive about the whole ghosts/castle angle, so I'm a bit dubious about your assertion that it's poorly thought out despite the fact that you haven't played it. But to each his or her own.

Lastly, people ask questions in order to try to help you, so you would be well advised to start supplying answers to that end instead of just demanding them.

Here are some answers I'd like in order to try to help you:

1. Have you looked for the ghost on the third floor of the castle specifically?
    2. Have you looked for it at night?

11. lantern48

lantern48 Member

Yes and yes.

And my apologies. I didn't mean to come off ungrateful in any way. More just a bit frustrated that I spent a bazillion dollars and can't rest in my new castle. :D

So anyway... thank you and everyone else responsible for working on the game and not only vastly improving it, but also for sharing it with the rest of us.

I do still believe someone in the castle could have a brief bit of dialogue about something spooky in the attic or whatever to at least give some clue that there's something up there that must be done. Like I said, until I read this thread, I had no idea there was a ghost you could fight up there.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  12. Gaear

That's sort of the idea - it's supposed to be a surprise. But a clue here or there wouldn't be bad.

Can you upload the saved game you're working off of here? Go to your ToEE/modules/ToEE/save folder and put all six files from the save into a WinRAR archive. They'll have these extensions and be called something like this:

slot0000.co8
    slot0000.tfaf
    slot0000.tfai
    slot0000l.jpg
    slot0000s.jpg
    slot0000T.gsi

Zip files don't store properly here (at least not for me), so it's important to put them in a RAR archive. The archive will probably be too large for our attachment system, so you'll have to upload it to a file sharing service and post a link here.

I'll then look at the save and see if I can figure out what's going on.

13. lantern48

lantern48 Member

Thanks for the offer, but I've already killed that game and started over.
    This time around I was able to do the ghost quest.
    I'm almost at the game's end, and the only bugs I've run into that I noticed was the green cube monsters not appearing the in the Moat House just north of the ghouls eating the dead people. No amount of walking back and forth or leaving and re-entering made them appear. But that's such a minor thing that it doesn't really matter to me.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
Our Host!