Potion stacking?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by who_is_daniel, May 1, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. who_is_daniel

who_is_daniel Member

I noticed that most potions have a little number 1 in the lower right hand corner, and well... why? I dont see a way to stack them or anything ??? I cant find anything in the manual about this.

By the way, I dont think it is such a great manuel, I mean I have played D&D 3.5 a few times, but there are some changes that the game has made that are not listed in the back ect }:(

2. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

You have to identify them first ( a merchant will do it, or you can use a spell), and they have to be the same kinds of potions to stack.

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Just a tip that read magic works on potions and is a lot cheaper than identify ;)

4. who_is_daniel

who_is_daniel Member

I have been using Read Magic, and a Wand of Identify on other things, but still nothing is stacking, half of my inventory it seems is Cure Light wounds potions.

5. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Just out of curiosity, is that by 3.5 rules that read magic would work on potions? I am too lazy to look it up at the moment.

- Livonya

6. who_is_daniel

who_is_daniel Member

In Pen and Paper 3.5 D&D read magic dose not work on potions.

7. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I've had a similar problem in the past. I worked around by loading all the potions onto one character who does not currently have any potions without looking at that character's inventory. It's an intermittant thing and not really reproduceable so I've not bothered reporting it as a bug until I'm able to spot when exactly it happens.

IIRC from the Atari boards, wasn't read magic for potions put in as a workaround?

8. ldonyo

ldonyo Member

Correct, Zebedee. the Read Magic workaround was put in, I believe, because using Identify on most potions cost more than the potion itself.

9. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

While it's true that by 3.5 rules Read Magic doesn't identify potions... players certainly aren't required to use Identify to figure out what all of their potions are.

In PnP, potions can be identified by their tastes' and colors. Once you identify a potion of cure light wounds once... it's pretty easy to identify it again just by using practical means. Since there is no tasting of potions implemented in ToEE... I'm glad that Co8 implemented the read magic alternative to identify spells.

Paying 500gp to identify 5 potions of cure light wounds (as was required in the initial release of ToEE) was just silly and wrong.

10. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I've always thought the potion containers had markings or writing on them placed by the creator. Knowlegable clerics and wizards could read the markings and tell by color(sometimes), what kind of potion it was. I don't think read magic working on potions is out of place at all. Or lower the price of identify to 10-20gp. I think 100 is kind of out of line.

11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Just pretend...

...that the maker did inscribe the container with mystical glyphs...and you need read magic to find out what they say. Still costs you money to get'er done if you lack the ability to read magic...as you have to either identify them or take a party member on board who went to school.

12. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

I agree with everything. With a bit of sarcasm, did you see that knowledge skills, like alchemy or arcane knowledge, are missing? Effectively I find hard to find a use for "knowledge-geography" except for sinergy bonuses with traking, but some knowledges like "alchemy" or "weapons" may be used to automatically recognize some characteristics of the items founds in the dungeons, like in Morrowind.
    I wonder what Troika guys could have done with the right funds and time! Arcanum was such a great game....

13. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

No. But you can identify them for free with a DC 25 Spellcraft check. As others have said, the Read Magic bit was a Co8-implemented work around.

Once they've been IDed, they should stack if you drag them over one another.

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I never id potions, its more fun that way, especially when you use the radial menu to use them. I had some interesting results

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Some cursed ones would be nice - a day as a toad never hurt anyone.

Our Host!