Any other suggested turn-based RPGS?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Black Dragon, Apr 28, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. ldonyo

ldonyo Member

I can't believe no one has mentioned Planescape: Torment yet. It might be hard to find, but well worth the search!

The Might & Magic RPGs were pretty decent, too.

2. Trel Blackstone

Trel Blackstone Member

Anyone ever play Twilight: 2000. It was a futuristic (sort of) war based game that had some, for the time, cool graphics and game missions. I also played a game that I wish they would make a computer game out of, Star Frontiers. I played that almost as much as I played D&D back in the late 80's.

As for Weezer, they are a good band and definitely not Homos, especially since they have Hugh Hefner in their new video. (I think it's new anyway)

I am a huge Ultima fan as well. I started playing during the Ultima 4 and Ultima 5 time period. I own all of the Ultima's and I used to play the Online version, but I just got to where I could not live a real life and a fantasy life at the same time on that game.

3. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

played twilight 2000 PnP about 15 years ago, never knew they made a PC version. i wish they would make one from megatraveller spent many hours on it. and i still play the mechwarrior/commander games all the time. i also still have wizardry and an amiga with curse of the azure bonds game lol ;). the games for ps2 i just dont really consider most RPG's they are fun adventures, if short but i prefer ToEE over all so far. still need to finish IWD 2 though

4. Gator

Gator Member

I would add Wizardry 8 to the list. It is phased combat, which is close enough to turn-based . It may be a little hard to find now though...

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Note that of all the D&D CRPGs mentioned above, only ToEE and PoR:RoMD are truly turn-based, I believe. That means that the others won't really play anything like ToEE. The Infinity Engine games have a miserable combat interface, imo. If you want a good story, play the BGs, but you won't be using tactics and strategy to the extent that you do in ToEE. Far from it, unfortunately.

Plus, none of those games' graphics can keep up with ToEE anymore; I find them kind of difficult to tolerate for that reason.

Edit: whoops.

No offense Gator. Just a difference of opinion. :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  6. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

Related to the Baldur's Gate games, it's true that they aren't turn based, although there are some turn-base-like mechanisms in the game (e.g. pause the game after a character finishes a turn or after he/she casts a spell). The game will also allow you to pause at any point and assign tasks to your party members... so it's not like your party is just out of control. You can determine what each of your up to 6 member party is doing at any given time. There are also some fairly primitive AI scripts you can assign to your characters to make them more or less agressive.

If you are new to RPGs... I have to highly recommend the BG series. It is a classic and although it doesn't have the graphic appeal of current games... those artist rendered 2D backdrops are still decent to look at. With the exception of maybe PlaneScape Torment... it also has one of the richest, deepest storylines you'll find on a CRPG. It's the only game I've ever played where at the end I actually got choked up as I read what became of my party members long after the time of the game was passed. I had really gotten attached to these guys.

And if you're concerned about budget... you can buy BGI, Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, BG2 and the Throne of Bhaal expansion as a package set for like 15-20 dollars. You'll probably have like 200+ hours of CRPG entertainment to look forward to.

This series is a must play for any CRPG fan in my humble opinion (I'd personally recommend it over Torment or the Icewind Dale games).

7. Trel Blackstone

Trel Blackstone Member

8. ldonyo

ldonyo Member

That looks a lot like an homage to Wasteland, which is not a bad thing at all!

I always wished someone would make a CRPG out of Gamma World. That was a lot of fun to play when we weren't playing D&D back in the day. There was a kind of cross-over module for AD&D that was S2 or S3, but I don't remember the actual title of the module itself. You got to take your AD&D party through a crashed space ship! That was a cool one to DM as well as play! :-D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  9. Trel Blackstone

Trel Blackstone Member

Well I don't know when in the 80's Wasteland came out, but Twilight:2000 was originally a dice and paper game that came out in 1984 and it was played like D&D. I never really got to play it until the computer version came out. I don't think I ever heard of Wasteland until you mentioned it. I almost wish games today were like those games because they seemed more detailed than the super graphic games they have today and don't have any real back ground except for the D&D type games, but they are lacking in someways too. Oh well my memory is probably biased too.
    I'm guessing Wasteland was a really cool game. Wish I would have heard of it back in the day. I never played Gamma World either. I played some other games back then, but I don't remember some of their names. I think there was a game called Talisman or something like that. It was a rpg board game that had expansion boards for it. I really liked playing it when you didn't want to go through the hassle of rolling up characters and what not.

10. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

The sad thing about this thread is that 90% of the games people listed are not turn based.

The Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment) are not in any way turn based. Just because you can hit pause does not make them turn-based.

That was the biggest flaw with those games. They would have been a thousand times better if they had been turned based. The combat was terrible, while the rest of the game was amazing. Sort of the exact opposite of TOEE where the combat is great while the rest of the game is often lacking.

I don't blame people for mentioning them as they are good games, and really the reason people do list them is that there simply aren't very many turn based games to talk about... turn based is a dying breed. Even the new Jagged Alliance 3D game will not be turned based... go figure that.

For turn based games I would suggest the latest Wizardry game. It was quite good and can be gotten quite cheap now.

Also, that 3D knock off of Jagged Alliance by Nival was really good... I can't think of the name right now... it was WWII but still the combat was great and loads of fun.

- Livonya

11. VaultDweller

VaultDweller Member

Livonya, you are thinking of Silent Storm. Great gameplay, but the story... ugh. Still, one of the best tactical games I've ever played, bar none.

Nival is making a sequel called Hammer & Sickle, which is supposed to have better story and much better roleplaying potential.

12. Livonya

Silent Storm. Yeah, that was it. I got a British version when it came out in England...

Very good game. I agree the story wasn't so great, but the actual game play was amazing... well except for the robot suits at the end... I didn't care for that at all.

- Livonya

13. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

The light side versus the dark side

<grin>

Really, I outta let this go. Feeding the homophobia troll isn't good policy, but that's not really the point of what I keep thinking.

The original comment and these two follow-ups have been rattling around my head since they were posted, and it occurs to me...

Someone makes an uncalled-for and narrow-minded insult, and TWO people call it to the carpet. Is this the Internet I'm used to? :)

It's items like this that convince me that the Circle of Eight and the RPG Codex are like the two sides of the force. People over on the Codex will rip you a new one just as soon look at you -- posters there seem to thrive on conflict [note that I feel that has a place, and I do enjoy the view there]; whereas here it's more about enjoying the game and helping one another out.

Both are Exitium productions (at one level or another), so I think it's notable how much the two are two sides of the same coin.

Just wanted to note how much I appreciate the citizenship 'round here. I hope it keeps up.

-- dulcaoin

14. Livonya

Dulcaoin -

I hear that. I have been visiting the RPG Codex for years, but only recently posted my first post... too acidic for me, and I like arguing.

The problem I see at the RPG Codex is there are too many people there that just like to poop on what other people like. I don't understand why some of the regulars that post over there are so hell-bent to tell other people what to like or what not to like.

If you have something to gain by an argument then great, but if there is nothing to be gained then it is just a waste of energy... but I guess if you like to poop on other people's tastes then, hey, poop away.

- Livonya

15. ldonyo

ldonyo Member

There are a large number of forums that seem to have that very mentality, Livonya. If it isn't pooping on someone else's idea merely for the sake of pooping, it's pooping on whatever the new guy posts because he's new and thinks differently than the de facto leaders of said forum. These 'leaders' base their leadership role not upon any knowledge they may have, but merely on their post count.

Our Host!