Activate "Double click = auto-scroll" mode?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Vintrastorm, Aug 29, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Vintrastorm

Vintrastorm Member

Hey, I just started up a non-modded RttToEE game and I noticed that there is no "double click to center-scroll" or what you could call it that there is in Baldurs gate. It was a very handy way to scroll so that I didn't have to to it with the mouse or keyboard everytime my caracter wanted to go somewhere and neared the edge of the screen...

Is there any way to get this function in RttToEE?

/ Jonis

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Not sure what you mean ...

3. Wotan Wordsmith

Wotan Wordsmith Member

I think he means double clicking on a char portrait to center the camera focus on the char(getting the char in the middle of the screen). That only works in ToEE when the char is off screen so you can´t use it to enhance your field of view. And it´s painfully slow anyway. Highly doubt that can be changed.

4. Vintrastorm

Vintrastorm Member

No, I mean that in BG2 when you click it marks where the characters will move to, the same way that happens in Temple. There are circles for where each character will move to.

The difference is that if i doubleclick in BG2 the screen automatically centers on the spot where I doubleclick and I don't have to scroll there. Thus if I am exploring a new map i can basically just keep on doubleclicking and the sscreen will center on my doubleclick. and the characters will go there.

In temple I have to click - scroll with mouse or keyboard, click, scroll with... etc.

ALSO I just entered Hommlet, what I guess is for the first time. And everything is already explored. + there is no fog of war. Is the entire game like this? It takes the fun out of exploring.

And when I press the M button I get a mini map over the area. The thing is that I can't see the entire map in one view, I have to click and drag to see the different parts of the map. this makes it difficult to get an overview of the entire map. I see a couple of houses and then I have to click and drag to see more. I tried to use the zoom button but nothing really happened. I can zoom in and then out again by scrolling though.

5. licker

licker Member

Yeah the mini map is mostly useless, but the areas just aren't that big to where it really matters much once you get used to them.

I felt overwhelmed the first few times I tried to navigate around Hommlet, but after a bit you know where everything is, and you either use the worldmap/signpost to get places, or you jack up the movement speed and zip around.

I still try to zoom in and out though ;)

There is FoW in other places though, just not in 'safe' places I guess.

6. Vintrastorm

Vintrastorm Member

Speaking of safe places. How the heck do I "retreat" from battle (and I don't mean the withdraw move action). Is it possible at all? At least in good old BG you could always run away and leave your dead to be meat in the goblins stew.

7. Vintrastorm

Vintrastorm Member

(The skeletons in Emiryd meadows (sp?) are kicking my butt. I last for about 2 fights and then it's resting time... I managed to survive an ambush and decided to head back to town, and I noticed that the rock that my rogue ran and hid behind was actually a rainbow rock. So I figure i'll loot it before heading back, and WOOP! Here comes the skeleton guardians.

8. licker

licker Member

Heh, yep, well there are plenty of 'surprises' in the game, so beware, if you don't think your party can handle a 'surprise' then take them to the inn and rest them up.

Safe places will turn the tent icon green, to start the inn in Hommlet is a good one. There are few more, you will find them easily enough.

I thought there was a Retreat command in the movement options, but I really don't remember. Anyway, depending on what kind of Cleric (if any) you have, Emry Medows is trivial :)

Otherwise, be sure you have a reasonable party formation (hit the 'F' key if you haven't set one already) and just advance slowly around. If you're well positioned the guardians are not that bad, but if you let them get flanking on you, then yah, it's gonna be harder.

9. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Just so all know, if you use the radial menu, go to movement. There you will find a flee option. If your fast enough, you can run away. If not then your stuck. One reason to have a haste spell available. :)

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

If works this way. You have to be standing next to a door portal, right-click on it, select "Flee" Enemy will get free AoOs. If you're still standing, you should be transported out of the area. Not sure if/how it works in open areas connected to world-map. But basically, don't count on fleeing too much.

11. Gavial

Gavial Member

Thanks for that info, I have kind of been wondering why this option works sometimes and other times not.
    When playing Iron Man mode (or rather, force yourself to never reload) this is kind of important for me since I do not know then game well enough.

12. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

Not being able to click on a point in map view and have the characters move there was something that irked me originally when I first played TOEE. Compared with a few other isometric games such as those created with the Infinity engine, TOEE can be tedious as far as long distance movement on a viewable map is concerned.

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

With ToEE's dodgy pathfinding, you don't want to move that far in one shot anyway (unless you're prepared to explore parts of the map never before fathomed when you thought "I'll go left." ;)).

Our Host!