Improved trip...trips self?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rerednaw, Aug 23, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rerednaw

Rerednaw Member

Just to try it out I made a spiked chain tripping fighter with Improved Trip.

Well every time he tries a trip attack, he trips himself.

I thought the mods and patches would address this...considering you cannot be tripped yourself as a result of missing with an Improved trip attack.

Any help appreciated!

2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I believe that the way trip attempts work in D&D 3.5 is like this: Trip is a strength contest between the tripper and the trippee. If a character making a trip attempt fails their trip attempt, then their opponent gets to make a free and immediate trip attempt against the character - if the opponent's trip attempt is successful, then the character is tripped. This is why it is a BAD idea to attempt to trip the Behemoth Kingfrog!

Modifiers for trip attempts include Strength modifer (I think), size (+4(?) or +8(?) for being a large creature (or enlarged)), +4(?) or +8(?) for stability (i.e. creature is well-grounded (like a frog)), and +4 for having the Improved Trip feat. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  3. valky

valky Member

correct, according 3.5 rules:

"If you win, you trip the defender. If you lose, the defender may immediately react and make a Strength check opposed by your Dexterity or Strength check to try to trip you. "

Though the modifier are a bit odd described in the rules, they seem to get modified for every category smaller or larger compared to medium, but I guess just the difference between you and the opponent does count, e.g. an ogre tripping a halfling would have a modifier of +8, while the same ogre tripping a human only receive a mod of +4 and vice versa.

And the defenders 'stable' bonus check is +4 (more than 2 legs...)

edit: I only need to learn to read :p the modifiers are correct, the ogre receives +4 due to being large compared to medium, while the halflings counter-dice is modified by -4.
    I guess if I try to trip the kingfrog with my halfling warrior (!) ..nevermind ^^

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  4. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

From the SRD:

IMPROVED TRIP [GENERAL]
    Prerequisites: Int 13, Combat Expertise.
    Benefit: You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to trip an opponent while you are unarmed. You also gain a +4 bonus on your Strength check to trip your opponent.
    If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt.
    Normal: Without this feat, you provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to trip an opponent while you are unarmed.
    Special: At 6th level, a monk may select Improved Trip as a bonus feat, even if she does not have the prerequisites.
    A fighter may select Improved Trip as one of his fighter bonus feats.

So nothing about not being tripped yourself, just a bonus to trip and an immediate attack afterward.

5. valky

valky Member

That's only the description of the imp. trip feat...

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Trip

the 3.5 rule-description.

btw. what's the difference between an unarmed melee touched attack and a melee touched attack (what is the difference in the modifier? quite some time ago, since I played with real dices ...)

Our Host!