How often do you rest ?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Wiggum, Aug 5, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Wiggum

Wiggum Member

Hi,

i just started my first playthrough of ToEE with Co8.

During combat at Emridy Meadows with my Lvl 1 party i discovered that after fighting a group (~5) of Skeletons iam basiclly not able to do any more combat, i have to rest.
    Thats because most of my attack spells are used up and my Heal Spells (Cleric) too.
    Also at least one character is unconscious (mostly my rouge with 7HP).

Is this normal ?

I could make does berrys with my druid all the time while in Hommlet until i have enough, but that would mean i would had to rest again and again.

Is it just normal for a Lvl 1 party to use such tactics and fight/rest/fight/rest... ?

2. Wotan Wordsmith

Wotan Wordsmith Member

Don´t worry about it, later on when you have more HP and spells you can go through more fights without resting. It doesn´t matter much if it´s normal as long as it doesn´t ruin your fun.

I didn´t rest that much because I mostly reloaded the game when a fight went badly. Also you should probably do Welkwood Bog as soon as possible. That one I went through without resting, but then again my cleric just turned the boss to dust so that wasn´t much of a fight.

3. Wiggum

Wiggum Member

I dont use the NC version, so no "Welkwood Bog" for me... ;)

Another question:
    Is it recommanded to take NPC with you (i use a 5 character party) ?

4. Wiggum

Wiggum Member

[Possible Spoilers]

Iam finally Lvl 2...
    But i had ro run away from the skeletons near that "colorful stone" with this skilled mage.
    I cant see much improvement for my party at Lvl 2, a few more hitpoints & a few more spells + a extra feat for my fighter.

But all quests are done, i have to go to the moathouse now...
    I hope there are some safe places to rest there !

5. Lum Levits

Lum Levits Member

You can bounce back and forth between the moathouse and emeridy meadows until your 3rd level or so. Also you've got the town quests and the spider wood quest. Sometimes I will also just keep running into random encounters to give extra experience.

Encounters with some of the bigger monsters are tough. Some of the NPC's you can pick up are 3rd or 4th level and can be a big help. Also if you have gold you can buy a few scrolls from Burne that can help make fights easier.

You will rest alot at lower levels, heck sometimes I dont even get to Moathouse because of a random encounter forces me to flee back to town to rest.

6. Wiggum

Wiggum Member

I think i will do it that way and get to the moathouse at Lvl 3.

Do the enemys on maps like "emeridy meadows" respawn ?
    Because i have maybe only killed 50% of them, so that would also a way to gain Exp but i hope those enemys i already killed stay dead...

EDIT:

Just tried to kill the bear and the hill gigant with my lvl 2 party...impossible.
    They both can attack 2 or 3 times and do 13-15 damage at one strike.

I tried to get them with 3 entangle spells but they escaped quick and got not stuck again.

If the moathouse is that hard too then i better wait for lvl 4... :(

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

My advice:
    1. Scribe lots of level 1 scrolls - they're cheap, and some spells can really make the difference (e.g. Summon Monster, Grease, Obscuring Mist, Sleep, Color Spray...). Particularly, you can avoid resting by scribing Cure Lights Wounds scrolls.
    2. Do some scouting! That's what sneaking is for.
    3. If you can't beat 'em, you can usually just outrun 'em.
    4. Don't be afraid of losing characters. It's part of the game.
    5. If you're level 2, Moathouse shouldn't be too hard, especially if you're well prepared. But if you're having trouble, you can just recruit NPCs from Hommlet - some are excellent fighters (Fruella, Elmo), others you can just use as meat shields, and there's even a Rogue with a Ring of Invisibility (great for scouting).

8. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

With proper preparation (not necessarily meta-gaming) you can take them out. A druid can really help here. Entangle is your best bet here. Scouting ahead with a sneaking rogue or ranger you can spot them early. Entangle has a huge radius, so even if they save, they may not make it all the way to you, and thus will have to save again. You can have a wiz/sor/brd help out buy throwing a Grease spell on top of it. You can also buy a Web scroll from Burne and rally load up on them.

Once the druid casts Entangle, he can follow it up with a Charm Animal on the bear. Now the bears hit dice mean he has a decent save chance, but if you can get him, he can do some real damage to the giant, plus the giant will focus his attacks on the bear, and not you. Any spell caster who can Summon, should do so, if just to put some meat shields between you and the giant, and one hit from him can kill most 2nd level characters.

Everyone in the party should have a missile weapon now. If you can trap the giant and bear, then sit back and plink away at him. It can take a while, and you may run low on ammo, but you do not want to get in his range. An enlarge character with a reach weapon like a ranseur or a longspear can hit hit without him hitting back.

9. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Great advice Sitra Achara and General Ghoul. I usually do some fed-exing and WB to get the 2nd level before trying anything else on the map. For those that do not like/have NC, then what has been said before is gold.

Have fun and tell us your own experiences folks.

10. Wiggum

Wiggum Member

Thanks for your advise !

I was able to charm the bear but and to entangle the hill gigant, but all my arrows missed (although bless and guidiance spells)...
    The bear died without doing any damage to the gigant, only my wizard was able to "hurt" him with 4 Magic missiles.
    Then i fleed because the gigant was able to brak free (i casted sleep but with no succes).

I hope this damn gigant will still be hurt when i face him again later... :D

11. chano

chano Established Member

Tashas hideous laughter on the giant, but that means you need a level 3 wizard and maybe start of with web so you do not have to fight the bear while hacking down the laughing giant.

12. Sitra Achara

Also, don't forget that you can just grab the equipment lying on the ground by sneaking in and stealing it :)

13. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Grease here would help, if the giant falls down, he is easier (+4) to hit.

14. Wiggum

Wiggum Member

Im just back from the moathouse and two of my characters got heavily diseased (with temporally attribut loose). I rested two days but it got even worse, those guys now have both two diseases each !
    I think you should stay away from rats...

Healing them is really expensive 250 Gold and i have 500 total, but i think more resting will not help. Is there any way to prevent such things in the future and is there any way to heal the diseases without loosing all my money ?

15. Sitra Achara

Actually, resting for a long enough time WILL heal you.
    IIRC you need two consecutive successful fortitude rolls to completely overcome disease - resting a sufficient amount of time should guarantee that, even for low CON chars. Fortunately (?) time doesn't matter much in ToEE so you can just rest 20 days.

Our Host!