Co8 New Content: Verbobonc

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That wouldn't be a global flag, but an object flag (specific to a mob). I don't know how to set those via the console ... would be something like object.object_flag(OF_HAS_MET) = 0, but what object? I tried it using a proto number and it didn't work.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

That's interesting. Can you post a save?

3. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well that sucks. I got nothing more, but hopefully, if/when you do a new game, this goof will not rear its ugly head again for you.

4. evilthorne

evilthorne Techincally Cursed

So to discuss this further, I went back to a saved game where I had not talked to the banker yet. Saved beforehand, went in and initiated the talk without enough money and I said that I was light in the pocketbook. Sold items and the same thing happened. Went back to the saved game, sold the items first and bought the castle without a hitch.

Bummed out...

Let this be a lesson for everybody make sure you have the money before you talk to him!!! :bored:

5. Sitra Achara

That's strange. I can't seem to replicate that - it behaves fine here.
    Can you upload the save? (including all the 4 files of the same slot number)

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I had a late-game save lying around, and figured I'd try, so I replicated the problem. Saves here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/nzqq0i "test" is after the problems manifest, "lvl14" was the one I loaded before talking to the guy.

As evilthorne said, if you do have the money on you right away, the transaction works fine, the problem only shows up if you decline at first. Now I might be wrong, but to me it looks like it's a problem with the .dlg file, not with the game recognizing the funds. The bug with the Scarlet Brotherhood quest (that's been fixed in 6.1.0) acted the exact same way. Probably something wrong with the "I'm ready to pay for the castle now" line, but I don't really know how to proof the dialogue file.

7. Sitra Achara

Ah, finally managed to replicate it. I was actually using v6.0 before so that's why I didn't catch it.

Apparently in the 6.1 version there is a "= instead of ==" issue in line 20. Fixing that solved the problem.

If anyone's interested in the bug-fixing procedure:
    First I verified that the pc.money_get() function isn't somehow broken in and of itself, by adding a similar couple of lines to another NPC.
    Then I noticed that the version 6.0 works and 6.1 doesn't, so I used a file compare tool to see what has changed. I noticed new lines were added, and gradually took them off, until the file worked. I was then able to scrutinize the faulty line. Et voila.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Good work. :thumbsup:

So this is another one of those deals where a code error doesn't break the line it's in (other than failing to limit as intended, I guess), but does break a subsequent line?* I don't get that about ToEE. (And it makes troubleshooting really un-straightforward. Line of dialog not working? Check some other line for errors! Phone not working? Check your TV for errors! ;))

*In this case, an error in line 20 makes line 100 fail. :twitch:

9. Sitra Achara

It's even worse - reply line 102 works, but 101 doesn't!

P.S. thanks for evil and aus for the help in testing.

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Haha, that's TOEE's "Random Error Generator" fer ya!

11. evilthorne

No thanks too me I am just a :censored: who stumbled across it, big thanks too this community for continuing to look into it when you really didn't need to.

Now is it possible for me to fix it, I really have no experience programming but would love to learn and start giving back to the community.

12. Sitra Achara

Yes - open the file data\dlg\00335banker.dlg (notepad is good enough)
    Line {20} is currently:
    Code:
    {20}{My good man, I demand an explanation for why my castle is haunted.}{}{1}{(game.quests[83].state == qs_mentioned or game.quests[83].state = qs_botched) and not get_1(npc)}{220}{npc_1(npc)}
    Change game.quests[83].state = qs_botched into game.quests[83].state == qs_botched.

If you want to learn more about modding, Ted's got a good, accessible tutorial to get you started:
    http://rpg-rant.blogspot.com/2005/11/tutorial-list.html

13. evilthorne

success, worked like a charm thanks very much guys!!!

14. crhallen

crhallen Toee addict Supporter

Your mind is diamond sharp, i was speedwrite-onics on my part. I was only stating how cool it would be if you Wizards could make some other cool adventures like the "Scourge of the Slavers (i said slavers), Queen of the demonweb pits, and other classics.

Is there any game out there similiar to TOE, the others just pale in comparison. The nwn is fun in some parts, but boring mostly and not challenging. I played it with my daughter when she was 5 and she liked it. She is 11 and still loves watching me play TOEE. I could not sleep feeling 15 again in anticipation of finding your version of the slavers which was a blast. The first round she disintegrated my wizard and sorcerer in two turns before they got off their mirror image. My Paladin was gang whooped. it took three tries to kill them with zero child loss. i charmed a hill giant, ettin, two bugbears and my druid did nothing but throw decoys animals at them. it worked well confusing them. i also charmed their barbarian pretty easiy. Don't underestimate the power of a first level spell.

Keep it up your great you crazy circle of 8 :hug:

Attached Files:

15. Sitra Achara

There is one, actually - Knights of the Chalice. It's actually inspired by ToEE, and it has some brutal combat AI.
    There is a also a feedback loop here - the Moathouse guards' waking each other up was inspired by KotC :)

Our Host!