Jaroo casts Remove Permanency...it's super effective!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Hal900x, Apr 23, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

During a battle where Spugnoir cast Mind Fog, my lead character acquired a permanent case of it. When I got around to asking Jaroo to remove it, he did. Unfortunately the way he removed it was to cast a spell that did 1008 points of damage, killing me instantly. This removed the spell alright, but it also incurred the usual experience point loss. I was unable to find a workaround, so I just waited until I had recently leveled to do it. Is this normal behavior? Not very useful if so...I can get myself killed pretty easily without Jaroo's help.

PS: I have never played a Pokemon game in my life.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  2. Skittles

Skittles Kind of Delicious

Your age is showing...

But seriously, check this thread here.

It's not a perfect fix, but to summarize, playing with the occupied by the affected character helped, for next time this happens to you (if).

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

What's supposed to happen is that Jaroo immediately resurrects you and restores your XP. Apparently the remainder of the script fails to execute sometimes.

I've done some testing and I think I found the cause - it seems that picking the leftmost-portrait living PC breaks the script. (this could possibly explain other scripting SNAFUs!)
    Can you test this?

If this is so, then dragging the afflicted character's portrait to the right should provide a workaround, until we bulletproof the script.
    If not, could you upload a savegame from before the act?

Edit: I've whipped up something that fixes it, at least for me. Though experience has me concerned that it might not work on other machines... specifically Gaear's ;) So I'd appreciate some testing by others.
    To apply the attempted fix, put the py file in data\scr and the dlg file in data\dlg, replacing the old ones.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  4. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

Pretty sure I have the save still. I will do some A-B testing and let you know. I have two machines with the game installed, if needed. Thanks for the quick fix.

5. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

Sorry bud, it seems I overwrote the saves in question. I keep about 20, overwriting the oldest as I go. Apparently that isn't enough. It sounds like you nailed it, though.

6. Sitra Achara

Any takers?
    I need confirmation that:

1. The old scripting kills the leftmost PC the way I described.
    2. The new file fixes it.

7. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I like to run solo characters without NPCs (lone wolf), so every time I went to Jaroo, I had to go and get a new character from the book in the Welcome Wench to join me just so that they could ask Jaroo to reincarnate me. Can't wait to try out your fix!

8. Sh0dan

Sh0dan Member

Hey guys, just felt like my yearly replay of TOEE and DL'd the new CO8 Modpack 6.1.0 NC. (Great stuff BTW. Every new version just makes this game better and better. :))

Anyway, just recently got silenced permanently by an ogre shaman on temple level 2. And decided to try Jaroo's spell permanency fix rather than load in an older save, and while it worked good for two of my other character not in slot one. For my main slot 1 character it just refused to resurrect him and return the XP.

So here I am trying the above fix. But it didn't work for me.

Jaroo simpy refused to talk at all after I applied it. Though one thing I did notice is that the game was no longer choppy in his house any more. Was pretty laggy in there with latest version, and I dont remember it being that laggy and choppy in previous versions. Just thought I'd mention that. Dunno if it helps.

Anyway, will go back to a previous save. :)

9. Sitra Achara

Strange. That seems to indicate that the script doesn't compile with the posted file. No idea what could cause this... runs fine here.

1. Have you placed the .py file in the data\scr folder and the .dlg file in the data\dlg folder?
    2. Does Jaroo cast any spells on himself when you enter his house?
    3. Can you try dragging the slot 1 character to the right and then performing the fix?
    4. I would like a save of the game when Jaroo refuses to talk to you.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

FYI, the choppy map/flappy cloak thing has been fixed in dev.

11. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Your bluff checks aren't high enough to beat my sense motive skill ;)

:O have you managed to fix that annoying visual where cloaks start flipping around and getting all over the screen? thanks!

what about the hair being contained in hat bug? Like my guy wears a helm of reading magic but the hair is fanned out behind the helmet going through the helmet, it shouldnt.

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The hair/helmet thing is a meshes issue - not really my bag. The flappy cloak was just a heartbeat gone bad (scripting).

13. Shoggy

Shoggy Member

Hey, I was experiencing the same problem Hal and I cam across this thread while I was looking for a solution. I had Zaxis cast invisibility on the party sorc who happened to be in the leftmost slot. The spell became permanent (not good if you don't want to cheese and certainly not a good state for the party face to be in). I talked to Jaroo and got him to remove the permanency and the same thing that happened to Hal happened to me. I moved the sorc to the right and saved the game in a new slot. Even using the new save the problem persisted. I downloaded and installed your fix and loaded up the previously mentioned save. This time everything worked perfectly. Thanks Sitra Achara!

14. Sitra Achara

Thanks for testing the fix!

Though I am troubled by your report - my prediction was that in the 6.1 version, it should only fail for leftmost chars.
    Just to verify, you dragged the portrait in the bottom row, right? (not the portait in the party formation UI, or actual positioning in the room)
    Furthermore, was the leftmost PC alive in the new save? (if not, I think Jaroo is supposed to refuse to perform the fix procedure, to prevent exploits)

Our Host!