Delicious Ironies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hugh Manetee, May 15, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

People who say," Britain is filling up with foreigners so we are emigrating."

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

thats funny, at work once at lunch there were 5 of us and one of the guys was being cheeky about immigrants, one of the guys is dutch and anothers parents were Dutch immigrants as well. The boss says "you better be carefuk what you say the immigants out number you." (he's from England), and the first guy laughs and says that he's kenyan, just cos he's white and has lost his accent people don't think of him as a foreigner.

I think its funny when people use Thou and its other forms (thee, thine, thy) when they want to sound posh and/or formal, when its the informal word for You :bored:

3. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

On immigrants. There are those, who immigrate and try to live as people of the country they have immigrated in, nothing wrong with them. And there are those who come and behave in the worst manner they behaved at their home-country. They ARE a problem.

On "thou" - the situation is quite simple in Russian, is not it, Cujo?

4. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

This is more of a tragedy.

Agency "Here is a load of work."
    Me "Yikes when does it have to be done?"
    Agency " In two weeks"
    Me "Phew"
    Agency " But I 've agreed to show it to the Client in three days."

5. stage

stage Member

Well the Royal family is German anyways - here is irony for you. :)

6. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

I am really-really pleased when people run to me and say:
    "S.D., this (or that) must be done in X hours (or days), it is THE DEADLINE!"

And then I ask them: "And how long ago were you informed about this (or that) and its completion deadline?"

And they do not answer, because they knew for a year (or half a year) about this (or that), but did not do a thing, nor did they inform me about it. Yes, I am evil.

Even more ironic are those cases in which I have the work done when they run to me with these words.

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I dislike people who bitch about how bad it is "here", if its so bad why did you come here or why don't you go home again. It's ok to miss the old country, but this is your new home now :hug:

Why yes it is, the useage of thou is identical to that of ты "ty" - informal and singular. The singular aspect of the word is basicly what has caused it to be assumed to be formal in modern english, due to it usage in the king james editions of the bible, which when originally translated they wanted to keep the singular form of the word used in the original language of the text rather the the pluralword - "You".

I was telling my sister about this thread and she told me that she's been invited to a party next saturday but she doesn't want to go, she wants to stay home and watch a movie - How to lose friends and alienate people. She added that she's serious.

8. stage

stage Member

That movie is great and people are stupid, so totally agree with her. :yes:

9. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Are they more of a problem than the ill-mannered and misbehaved locals?

Our Host!