Craft item tips

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by cbarchuk, May 14, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. cbarchuk

cbarchuk Member

Is there a real clear guide on how this works anywhere? What sort of enchantments should I be looking to use for weapons, armor, etc...? I just enchanted a short sword and gave it a +1 enchantment and then gave it the axiomatic +2 I think. This was all that was available. Everything else was greyed out. Now the sword says "short sword +1 axiomatic +2. What does this even mean...lol? I'm just not quite understanding what I'm doing. It seems you have to give a +1 first and then a +2 etc...Also when can I use the other enchantments? Sorry for all the million questions guys. This game is intense....in a good way.

P.S. I almost forgot. Do you need both a cleric and sorcerer with the craft item feats? My cleric is the only one with the feats and I noticed some of the items require a spell that my cleric doesn't know like Cat's Grace. Just curious. I think that's the all for now..lol...I hope.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you use the search feature of this forum and type in crafting you'll see a ton of excellent tips on crafting.

3. ayoshi

ayoshi Member

FYI -
    Weapons have to be masterwork to put +1
    Weapons have to be +1 to put +2 and +2 to put +3

Axiomatic deals +2d6 damage to chaotic creatures

The others are grayed out coz you dont have the required spell or level of caster

There is a weapon crafting guide somewhere in the forum....just try looking, its a complete one

4. cbarchuk

cbarchuk Member

Thanks for the help. So if you had a +3 sword of some kind, it would say sword +1 +2 +3? That's what was strange to me. I've read through several guides thus far and all of them seem to go on the premise that the reader has at least basic understanding of crafting so the ones I've read weren't entirely helpful. Now I did read that the game only takes into account 4 damage-type effects at a time so for an example...You could have a Holy Long Sword +1 +2 +3 with Ice Burst, Flame Burst, and shocking burst...but that's it. The game wouldn't recognize any more effects. I'm I understanding this correctly? Anyways, I'll keep looking. I just wanted to get some of the basic principles on how it works down.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

cbarchuk, when you high-lite the enchantment to put on the weapon and then hit the right arrow to move it to the right box, click on the name in the top and you can change the name to whatever you want.

When I upgrade a +1 to +2 I always delete the +1 from the name. Usually I name it something like "The Flaming Sword of BugBear Slaying" if I added flaming to it that is. ;)

Keep in mind that if the name exceeds the length of the box you type it in the game will crash when you choose "create".

6. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

You should get in the habit of renaming your enchanted weapons and armor, as long names cause problems in the game. Be sure to delete the "masterwork" part first, and if you go from +1 to +2, delete the +1 part.

Now to your real question-the best thing to add to a weapon is the "Holy" function, it does an extra 2d6 to any evil enemy. Most of the things you fight, besides animals, are evil, so the extra damage always comes in handy. You will need a cleric with the Good domain, Craft Arms & Armor feat, and at least 9th level to make Holy weapons. The other options, like flaming, icy, etc are all good, but some monsters like demons, are immune to most of that. Going for the highest "+" you can get (and you can add to them as you increase in level) and adding Holy is the way to go. Keen is also a good feature, but do know it does not stack with the Improved Critical feat.

There is a great crafting chart in Windows Excel format that you can download somewhere on the site, just search for it. I find the Wondrous Items can be better than magic weapons. Doesn't matter what kind of weapon I use when I have a +6 STR belt, I still get another +3 to hit and damage.

7. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Yep. There sure is. Here is a link to the thread with the updated spreadsheet.
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7870

Our Host!