The console

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by cbarchuk, May 11, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. cbarchuk

cbarchuk Member

Is there a reliable way to bring up the console when using the GOG version of the game with the latest Co8 mod? Everywhere I've read says you press shit and ~ at the same time. But this doesn't work. Is there something else you have to do that I'm missing?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Pressing shit will not work (surprising how often people say that ;)), but Shift ~ is supposed to bring it up, yes. On any version of the game that is at least at patch level 2, which GoG is. It's not affected by the mod at all.

What kind of keyboard are you using (what country)?

3. cbarchuk

cbarchuk Member

LOL, just realized I said that. I'm using an american keyboard I assume.

4. cbarchuk

cbarchuk Member

Yea I've googled the issue and I haven't found any real answers to this. I've come across similar questions but no answers. I guess it might be one of those things that works for some and doesn't for others which is odd to say the least.

5. maalri

maalri Immortal

Maybe it should be noted that you should press AND HOLD the Shift (not shit) and then the Tilde Key ~ together. Mine takes about a second and a half of holding, to bring up the Console, which is, like FOREVER, in gaming time... LOL

Try that.

6. cbarchuk

cbarchuk Member

Yea it didn't work. I can sit there and hold both buttons down for 10 sec and nothing happens. Yea I don't know what to do. I appreciate your help though.

7. Gavial

Gavial Member

Did you check that the tilde key work on your system? Maybe the keyboard is broken.
    Are you gaming on a laptop, do you have a normal keyboard or some weird setup like me? I need to press ALT to get the tilde sign (and a key afterwards to get it to show, but that should not be needed).
    If this is the case for you try the key to the left of the top "1"... I guess it won't help but that are my suggestions.

8. cbarchuk

cbarchuk Member

Yea I'm playing on regular desktop. I opened up a notepad and tried typing the tilde and it worked. Now I have to hold the shift button down to get it to appear. So you got ` without the shift button and ~ with the shift button. Anyways I assume its just one of those strange things but I definitely appreciate your help and suggestions. Maybe the ALT key will work. I'll give it a go and see what happens. Curious, has anyone else had problems with this or is it just me?

9. cbarchuk

cbarchuk Member

Nope that didn't work either. Is there an easy and safe way to edit your characters level, feats, stats, etc...besides using the console? I would love to be able to fix a few things on my characters that I screwed up without having to start over. I've read something about hex editing but I have no experience with that.

10. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

I had issues on Vista getting the console to work, and i have a Vista OS laptop. To get the console to work, i had to change my keyboard driver ... a risky proposition. Holding my breath, crossing my fingers, i tried several of the keyboard and virtual keyboard drivers ... until one allowed me to do it. Don't know why, but the default Windows Vista driver does not let you use the tilde key in TOEE. a few others have reported this, and i went with this kinda risky approach after i was encouraged to try it by another user on this site. I can't guarantee success, but it did eventually work for me, and so far a couple months later i have not seen any ill effects of changing the keyboard driver. IIRC it's something like "infrared device handler" or something like that. However, i cannot guarantee results, and you may screw up your machine... i hope not!!!

Try doing some more searches of this site, you may come across the threads of other users discussing this topic. You are not alone, but most people on this site have not had this issue.

Good luck!

Or, you could decide the console is not worth it. It does become a tempting influence... LOL

11. cbarchuk

cbarchuk Member

I fix it guys! This might deserve a sticky. I did a ton more research and came upon many other Vista users that had issues bringing up the console in many other games. Turned out to be an issue with ehome infrared transceivers. Not really sure what it is. Basically I just had to into my device manager under the Human Interface Devices and uninstall my infrared transceiver. It fixed the issue and everything is good. :peace:

Our Host!