Yet another windows 7 ToEE Problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by gradea, May 7, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. gradea

gradea Member

Right, so, I'm an avid d&d player, have been since the dragon lance disk games, and the system it was based on (Nothing like a little AD&D, where priests spells went to level 6, but nothing ever capped in effect).

Anyways, I'm somewhat at my wits end. I've been trying to get the game to run, and it seems every fresh install runs... once. Usually for a fair length of time... but then never again.

I've tried administrator mode. I've tried compatibility modes (XP and ME).

My rig is 64 bit windows 7, running an intel i7, dx 11, 10gigs of ram, with a nvidia geforce gtx 460 graphics card.

The monolith I call a PC should be able to handle the game, but the problem with older software is it rarely works like it should on modern machines... yet Arcanum works fine.

Anyways, as it boils down, using toee front end program, or not, or using the circle of 8 map pack, or not, I can't get this thing to work. My current config of CoE mod and front end loader will crash within seconds of loading the main menu, regardless of what options I click. Straight from the event viewer-

The program toee.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
    Process ID: 1530
    Start Time: 01cc0ce785372758
    Termination Time: 16
    Application Path: E:\Temple of Elemental Wevils\toee.exe
    Report Id: d0d4d6f5-78da-11e0-90af-20cf304f5085

I use avast as a fire wall.

2. ayoshi

ayoshi Member

Did you try to disable the anti-virus ang run front end?

3. gradea

gradea Member

Turned off the real time shields, yes. Didn't help. And it's not sending me any messages saying it detects the program as hostile. And the main executable is still there.

4. stage

stage Member

Can you see what exactly is written there?

5. gradea

gradea Member

I don't have any option to actually view the error there

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The problem is almost certainly the executable and its interaction with your antivirus software.

Some AV software considers toee.exe to be a trojan or virus and will either auto delete it or auto quarantine it. And the kicker has been shown to be that some software will continue to do so even if it's turned off. Seriously, some users have had to uninstall their AV software in order to stop it from interfering with toee.exe.

I don't know about Avast firewall specifically, but a lot of antivirus software is problematic. Which do you use? I recommend AVG Free, where you add toee.exe as an exception once and it will ignore it thereafter.

7. gradea

gradea Member

I'm clearly not going to uninstall my anti virus software to play this game, but yeah, from what I've seen, run once then never again is supposed to be its MO. I'll poke the program with a few sticks, and see if I can't make it do what I want. I'll let you all know if it works.

Just in case someone else has this problem.

Our Host!