Improvements

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Apr 25, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Plus the animals always seem to attack the foe you do not want them to or they may just stand around doing diddly squat. Same can happen with summoned monsters, which can be aggravating as well.

2. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

In the NC mod, the greater temple has that new electricity box thing stopping you from going on in it until you get a password (as far as I know). My friend had a save up to that point and he said that he didn't get a password, and has killed all of the monsters reachable before the electricity box in the greater temple, so there were none left to get a password from. Is there any other way to get past it if you kill stuff without talking, or if not (sorry if i'm just noobish) then there needs to be some way to make sure you can. Like a set talking point to get the password or something.

3. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

For me, the most annoying pathing is in the tight, mazelike sections of levels 1-3 where there are many small passages in various directions. Hommlet at least has mostly wide roads where it is easy to track down your strays, and it has lots of doors and no combat, making pathing much less of an issue. When part of your party does an end-around of half the map to get to the room next to you, it's maddening.

4. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

You can also get it from a random encounter from Trolls. Just rest and when you get a troll, you have a chance to threaten/torture it from it. Also, if you have a high enough rogue, he can then disarm the trap.

There is also the cheesy way to get past it. Just go into combat mode, and run each character past the field of the zapping.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Thanks for the input thus far. In addition to the limitations Sitra mentioned above, please remember that we're looking for suggestions for improvements on existing things specifically, as opposed to feature requests (such as "add this or that new thing to the game.").

Re: animal companions, why does anybody even let them out of their pack in the first place? Is there any advantage to that whatsoever? It seems they would be far less valuable as another party member in combat than as stat-boosters safely behind the lines.

6. Broken Finger

Broken Finger Member

I think this is more about druid/ranger's animal companions, than about wizard's familiars. ;)

7. Gaear

Yeah, the Spruce Goose rooms should have been limited to 24 hours like the Welcome Wench. Will do, might raise the rates too.

You should use the Extraplanar Chest.

We could probably just add protos for each craftable cloak in all the available colors, so you could choose from 'Blue Cloak of Elvenkind,' 'Red Cloak of Elvenkind,' etc.

Might be able to change their AI type to 'defend' or something ...

Hm ... I'll have a look at those, but it could be that if it doesn't work well now (with a simple, single line of pathnodes leading down a corridor that only goes two ways), it never will. Your characters are always supposed to go for the closest pathnode, so I don't know why they'd head off somehwere else if there was just a simple line to follow. ( - - - - - > go this way)

Whoops, sorry. :blush: I'll look at their AI.

8. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Gaear
    What I am specifically requesting is the "Control Animal Followers" (for Druids and Rangers) function that is in KoTB. I will confess that it has been quite a while since I have played KoTB 1.1, but I recall being able to tell the animal follower (via a Dialogue Box if I remember correctly) what I wanted it to do.
    The Royal Canadian

9. Gaear

No idea ... we'll have to wait and see if The Ted weighs in on that.

10. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Re. the electrical trap,

it was proposed long ago that the TZGY scarabs should deactivate it, much like they deactivate the fungi curtains in the original module (for which, IIRC, the electrical trap was meant to be a substitute). So perhaps it is time?

11. Gaear

That sounds fine to me. I don't think items like that get heartbeats, do they? So we'd have to do a san insert_item script or check for the scarabs (wtf does TZGY mean anyway? I never got that) in inventory of someone using the control box ...?

12. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Another spelling for Zuggtmoy is Tsuggtmoy, so that is my guess.

13. maalri

maalri Immortal

Is it possible to make new familiars for Wizards, and/or make them all give HPs.

Maybe a whole (Modder fatiguing )overhaul of familiars in General.

Everyone takes the Toad now for that, but it would be nice to have a Pseudodragon familiar that gives +10 to Hide and +4 HPs.

Or a wolf that can attack, much like the Animal Companion (but of course used much more safely as it cannot be quickly replaced).

Heck even a Firedrake. 2-8 hp breath weapon and +4 HP (they should all give the same +4 HPs).

Just an idea.

14. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

Can you make it so charmed/dominated get the same aggro table as the lead party member? Frustrating charming an evil npc who then aggros the entire town on you, same goes for the temple, even if they are wearing robes.

As for my previous suggestion...it's intersections in particular.

I have about 20 things written down over the course of my last playthrough, though not all of them would fit into the "improvements" category...lots are bugs I think. Example: snakes can be tripped, and they shouldn't.

15. Gaear

I moved the posts re: Hal900x's list to the GC&D 6 thread, as they were more bug report-ish than improvement-ish.

Are you thinking of Lareth? I'd think that 'good' people would hate him regardless of whether or not he was under the effects of a magical spell.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
Our Host!